Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space

Shacknews has promotion for an upcoming book on Blizzard Entertainment from David Craddock titled Stay Awhile and Listen describing a point following the release of Diablo II when Blizzard North prototyped a project codenamed "Starblo," since it was basically going to be Diablo in a science fiction setting. They offer this anecdote as a tease of a full chapter of the book they will publish online as a tease for the book. "The project earned the nickname Starblo for its mix of a space setting and the action-RPG formula that made Diablo so successful," he said. "Like Diablo 2, Starblo would take place over several acts, but rather than journey across a single world, players would board their customizable spaceship and travel to new planets, killing and looting the space creatures they found there. By the time Dave Brevik and the Schaefers left Blizzard North in summer 2003, the Starblo team had produced a few playable builds of the game, but still hadn't come up with a proper name."

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 24, 2012, 09:32 Quinn

Verno wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 10:07:
It was just a project codename I think a space based ARPG would be interesting but only if they did something new with it. ARPGs in general are getting a bit stale, so little innovation so some fresh ideas and settings would be welcome.

I said nearly the exact same thing in a Torchlight II topic on here. Got some proper flames in reply, while I wasn't even flaming Torchlight.

Good to see there's a slim chance I actually am from the same planet as you guys. Those comments praising Rage got me believing otherwise, indeed.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 20:45 RailWizard

It would probably make this look like Shakespeare. Blizz should hire some real writers, or just people with brains.  

24. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 20:44 rist3903

I think the biggest problem D3 had is that there are too many bad items/not enough great items that drop.
One of the major reasons for this correct perception is that the guaranteed rare that drops when you have 5 stacks of nephalem buff is attribute capped. Good items happen when attributes stack up in pleasant ways, and when you have a cap it means that there is a definite ceiling on how good these items can ever be- one that is way lower than the regular limit on how good they can get.

All this adds up to you getting tons of rare drops that blow, making busywork town runs to dump your crap way more common, and thus irritating.

23. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 19:34 Icewind

Prez wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 18:35:
I seem to remember a game called Harbinger that was basically Diablo in space. Other than lacking the character that Blizzard instilled in its seminal classic, it pretty much was exactly that. At the least it definitley made it clear that the concept done right could be awesome.

Shit, I just came here to mention that and I see you already did.

The game stunk though. The last boss was a gigantic robot ape and it made no sense whatsoever. I still own the boxed game though, as nothing more than a showpiece.

22. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 18:35 Prez

I seem to remember a game called Harbinger that was basically Diablo in space. Other than lacking the character that Blizzard instilled in its seminal classic, it pretty much was exactly that. At the least it definitley made it clear that the concept done right could be awesome.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 16:35 Beelzebud

This could have been really cool. Instead we got Diablo 3 that basically borrowed its item system from WoW, and thus just isn't as interesting as the first two games.  

20. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 15:55 BobBob

Fuck those alien losers.  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

19. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 14:42 saluk

The blizzard of 2003 might have been able to do great things with this.  

18. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 13:23 Creston

PHJF wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 12:28:
That's easy, they could simply have every action, including movement, cost a fixed amount of gold. If your character runs out of gold then he is unable to do anything unless you buy more with $.

They invented that long ago.

Creston

17. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 13:20 Creston

It was just a project codename I think a space based ARPG would be interesting but only if they did something new with it.

Judging by Diablo 3, I'm going to guess that wouldn't really have been such a great idea.

Creston

16. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 13:05 briktal

Verno wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 10:41:
InBlack wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 10:28:
I disagree. In fact the main problem with D3 is that they tried to implement some new ideas (for the genre) instead of just going for the tried and true formula they tossed the dice, which were loaded for 'greed'...

They also abandoned the gritty and dark atmosphere, for better or for worse...well for worse.

Blizzard failed because instead of making Diablo 2.5 (something they are rather good at with their other IPs) they made a game that was fun for a while and tedious for the rest for all the rest of the time you played...

I disagree with your disagreement Diablo 3 failed because they tried to shoe horn in shitty MMO elements into the ARPG genre, spammed their overwrought story and cut down on things that mattered like randomization. Diablo 2 did a lot of new and interesting things that Diablo 1 didn't, people were expecting a similar transition with the third game. The biggest thing they did with Diablo 3 was the auction house which is amusing and offputting at the same time.

I think the biggest problem D3 had is that there are too many bad items/not enough great items that drop. Also it turns out that trading items in an ARPG only works if it is sufficiently difficult to trade, such as trading between a group of friends playing, then maybe trying to trade big ticket items in public channels.

15. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 12:39 Verno

PHJF wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 12:28:
That's easy, they could simply have every action, including movement, cost a fixed amount of gold. If your character runs out of gold then he is unable to do anything unless you buy more with $.

Light bulbs just went off in someones head at EA.

Next up, in Sim City you will have to purchase your building materials from the in-game store.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

14. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 12:28 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 11:41 Cutter

Guess they couldn't figure out how to tie it in with Starcraft and monetize the shit out of it down to every single mouse click.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 10:56 InBlack

Interesting how we bring up the same points of contention, or at least the points you mention are the same ones I was thinking of...

Still we can agree to disagree

I for one would have been happy with Diablo 2.5, much more so then I am currently with D3. Which as you said is loaded with MMO crapola, and is tailored for the grind, something D2 was never really about unless you were very very into it. (At least it never felt like a grind as the rewards kept coming as you leveled regardless of loot)

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 10:48 Kajetan

Verno wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 10:25:
I'm still amazed Space Siege was even released at all.
Space Siege isn't THAT bad. It's just not very good

But when you switch on God mode, so you dont have to fight any longer with the horrible control scheme, it's quite enjoyable. But you have to ignore the story for that. Just run around, shoot things, let things explode, let exploding things fly through the ship. Nice physics system.

10. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 10:47 Rea1One

Space Siege was just ok for a space Diablo game, Guess Blizzard could possibly make a better version and all.  

9. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 10:41 Verno

InBlack wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 10:28:
I disagree. In fact the main problem with D3 is that they tried to implement some new ideas (for the genre) instead of just going for the tried and true formula they tossed the dice, which were loaded for 'greed'...

They also abandoned the gritty and dark atmosphere, for better or for worse...well for worse.

Blizzard failed because instead of making Diablo 2.5 (something they are rather good at with their other IPs) they made a game that was fun for a while and tedious for the rest for all the rest of the time you played...

I disagree with your disagreement Diablo 3 failed because they tried to shoe horn in shitty MMO elements into the ARPG genre, spammed their overwrought story and cut down on things that mattered like randomization. Diablo 2 did a lot of new and interesting things that Diablo 1 didn't, people were expecting a similar transition with the third game. The biggest thing they did with Diablo 3 was the auction house which is amusing and offputting at the same time.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

8. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 10:28 InBlack

It was just a project codename I think a space based ARPG would be interesting but only if they did something new with it. ARPGs in general are getting a bit stale, so little innovation so some fresh ideas and settings would be welcome.

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 10:27 Beamer

I would have played it. Diablo with plasma guns?
Sold. Especially if it has explosive barrels everywhere.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo