Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

One Year of Steam Workshop

Steam celebrates the first anniversary of the Steam Workshop by offering some statistics about the first year of this home to community-created game content:

It began with Team Fortress 2, and the Workshop has quickly grown to support many others including The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Portal 2, Sid Meier's Civilization V and more with different models of player-created content, exposing many players to the world of modding along the way.

Today, there are 16 shipped game titles supporting the Steam Workshop, with more on the way. Almost 300,000 items are available in the Workshop, ranging between models, animations, maps & levels, scenarios and even full games made in GameMaker Studio. Those items have been consumed through 55 million downloads.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: One Year of Steam Workshop Oct 23, 2012, 08:58 Dev

Verno wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 08:46:
I just wish the Steam interface could be redone a bit to make things more efficient, I have to click 2 sub tabs to reach Workshop then select the game I want and etc.
Maybe in a few years they will get around to it

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: One Year of Steam Workshop Oct 23, 2012, 08:46 Verno

I've used the workshop quite a bit in recent months after moving away from the Nexus crap (those people are nutters) and I've found it to work pretty well. I just wish the Steam interface could be redone a bit to make things more efficient, I have to click 2 sub tabs to reach Workshop then select the game I want and etc.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

6. Re: One Year of Steam Workshop Oct 23, 2012, 07:21 jacobvandy

Uh, yeah, it's completely different for TF2 and DOTA 2, because the items are sold for money and Valve has quality standards for the custom content put into their online games. Mods for everything else are completely free, in every sense of the word. All kinds of dumb shit gets posted for Skyrim (which is why you sort by popularity or rating).  

5. Re: One Year of Steam Workshop Oct 23, 2012, 03:31 Dev

Tanto Edge wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 23:55:
I wouldn't have a problem with it except Valve is taking fifty percent of the price of some of these objects, which some people seem to be making a living from.
While Blizzard is responsible for all the fake stuff being sold through their mess, these materials are community generated and Valve taking a fifty percent cut is malignant imo.
Are you talking about the items that make it into TF2? I think its fair given that valve does all the support on it, and hosts the bandwidth, etc. Plus, most companies take the position that you can't make money off of mods or any other content created for their game period.

I believe for other workshop stuff, such as skyrim, everything is free.

4. Re: One Year of Steam Workshop Oct 22, 2012, 23:55 Tanto Edge

I wouldn't have a problem with it except Valve is taking fifty percent of the price of some of these objects, which some people seem to be making a living from.
While Blizzard is responsible for all the fake stuff being sold through their mess, these materials are community generated and Valve taking a fifty percent cut is malignant imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

3. Re: One Year of Steam Workshop Oct 22, 2012, 23:53 TychoCelchuuu

Um... that's not how the Workshop works.  

2. Re: One Year of Steam Workshop Oct 22, 2012, 23:40 RailWizard

Workshop is fucking stupid. Sure, it sounds like a great idea, and people have made tons of stuff to put in it. BUT all items must be approved before they can be used, and guess what? Almost none are.

This is not how modding works....

1. Re: One Year of Steam Workshop Oct 22, 2012, 22:00 MisterBenn

I have to say that for Skyrim I find the workshop a lot less useful than just browsing + Nexus Mod Manager. I did briefly have a couple of Workshop mods while I was trying it out but I get everything from Nexus now.

Having said that, Elder Scrolls is a special case since it has a fast moving mod scene with many mods to manage and things like load order are important. In general I'm very much up for a standard approach to getting user content into games.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo