Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter

The Kickstarter Page for SHAKER admits defeat for Loot Drop's recently announced old school RPG from Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall. The project attracted under a quarter of its funding goal as it passed the half-way mark, causing them to apologetically give up, for now:

Ultimately, our pitch just wasn't strong enough to get the traction we felt it needed to thrive. Sure, it may have made it. We could have fought our way to a possibly successful end. In reading your feedback and talking it over internally, however, we decided that it made more sense to kill it and come back with something stronger.

In game design, mercy killing is the law.

So, please accept our thanks and apologies in equal order. Expect something more soon.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 14:30 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 14:04:
Weird, you see most of these projects get a TON of funding in the last 2 weeks....surprised they shut it down.

Except, of course, they really haven't. You can still pledge... They got 3 more grand since this morning.

Shineyguy wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 14:08:
Except this is precisely how the Double Fine Adventure project was started.

Yep, which was precisely why I didn't support it. "We'll make an adventure game!".
Oookay. What setting? Will it be funny? Sad? Serious? A western? Space robots? Starring a Mafia family whose power is derived through control of the college's chicken fingers?

I mean, what are we doing here?

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 14:08 Shineyguy

JediPunisher wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 12:13:
I'm not surprised. When you begin a Kickstarter without a name for your project, you're in trouble.

Except this is precisely how the Double Fine Adventure project was started.

20. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 14:04 xXBatmanXx

Weird, you see most of these projects get a TON of funding in the last 2 weeks....surprised they shut it down.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 22, 2012, 13:38 Beelzebud

Honestly I highly doubt the name had anything to do with the failure.

I doubt most people went back to see that they gave it a name. Their initial pitch was terrible. No details, no name, just pure vague bullshit. You can't sell an idea based on your reputation, when no one has played any games you made for over a decade.

And if Doom had been named Shaker, it would have been the same huge success it was, because when Doom came out, there was nothing like it out there. Nothing compared to it.

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 22, 2012, 13:35 J

JediPunisher wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 12:58:
But, a better example would've been, what if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had been named SHAKER.
S.H.A.K.E.R.?

17. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 22, 2012, 12:58 JediPunisher

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 12:16:
The power of a good name should not be underestimated. How many copies would DOOM have sold if it had been named SHAKER?

The same because it was ground breaking, but I agree a name can help and hurt in general. They just didn't put enough effort into organizing this.

Yes, Doom was ground breaking, but I still think the cool name helped the sales.
But, a better example would've been, what if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had been named SHAKER.

16. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 12:50 deqer

I believe the "two rpg games!" message killed it for them.  

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 22, 2012, 12:20 Beelzebud

Kickstarter just made Romero its bitch.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

14. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 22, 2012, 12:16 HorrorScope

The power of a good name should not be underestimated. How many copies would DOOM have sold if it had been named SHAKER?

The same because it was ground breaking, but I agree a name can help and hurt in general. They just didn't put enough effort into organizing this.

13. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 12:13 JediPunisher

I'm not surprised. When you begin a Kickstarter without a name for your project, you're in trouble. "An RPG by Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall" is not the way to attract donations; Those aren't exactly household names. When they finally named it SHAKER, that was good for a laugh; That better suits a Kinect dance game than an rpg.

Another with a similar problem was Jane Jensen. She started her Kickstarter as "Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road Studio", but at least she was well known to fans. Later, her project was named Moebius and was successfully funded at about 150%, but it wasn't looking good for awhile. I can only imagine how much money she would've raked in if she had begun her Kickstarter as "Gabriel Knight creator Jane Jensen presents Moebius."

12. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 12:11 Umbragen

I might have pitched in for a conclusion to Anachronox... maybe.

11. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 12:04 Creston

Btw, for all they're saying that they've accepted defeat, it's interesting to note that the actual Kickstarter is still going...

Had a look at their world map, and just had a huge feeling of: Quickly Thrown Together Because People Are Demanding To See One.

Major city in the center, and then everything spaced out neatly at an almost unilateral distance around it. Forest at 4, Forest at 7, Bog at 9, something at 11 etc. It's the kind of thing you whip up when you're thinking about designing a new world, then you crumple it up and throw it away the next morning because you realize it sucks, and you start to draw something actually visually interesting.

I don't really know that they had much more of an idea what they were going to make beyond "Well, it's an Old School RPG!"

Creston

10. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 22, 2012, 11:55 HorrorScope

I agree they didn't put enough into the presentation, almost like a few dudes sitting on a couch burning one and saying "Dude I got this great idea?"...

They need to get some work done, focus the product being offered etc.

Personally I'd like a Wizardy 8'esq type game above pretty much all else, updated and some clever UI streamlining. They both have proven they can do this and have a team, just be a bit more professional about it.

9. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 11:44 gilly775

I remember saying to a friend that this Kickstarter was going to bomb. I'm just surprised they pulled the plug early.  

8. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 11:12 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:55:
Wow. I'd like to know what they were smoking when they thought that would make for a good sales pitch.

Some of the comments from backers on their last post mentioned that, and how they should have focused on a single game, and making that one the best it could be, instead of splitting it in two right off the bat.

I hate to slam them, but the whole thing didn't seem very well thought out (or at least, that was my impression, from reading about it).

Yeah, it seemed more of a "OMG, everyone's getting all this money! Quick, let's get in on the gravy train!"

And like I said when they announced it, their timing was horrible. Don't announce your old school kickstarter during a month when a shitload of great games are coming out, AND everyone is throwing money at a far more established RPG developer's kickstarter. Unlike what publishers believe, your customers are not endless fonts of money. They have a budget, and if you try to squeeze yourself in during a month when most likely everyone's budget is already depleted, you're not going to get much.

If they re-announce this in April with a stronger pitch and focus on one game rather than the weird "We'll make two games!" crap, I figure they'll do much better. Maybe still not enough to make it, but definitely better than what they'd done already.

Creston

7. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 10:59 Zanderat1

Ya, the initial pitch was poor. After that, even though they got better, it was too late. The negative momentum is hard to overcome. Still, all indications are that they get it and will relaunch with a better pitch. I will certainly pledge again as W8 is an all-time fav.  

6. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 10:55 nin

Wow. I'd like to know what they were smoking when they thought that would make for a good sales pitch.

Some of the comments from backers on their last post mentioned that, and how they should have focused on a single game, and making that one the best it could be, instead of splitting it in two right off the bat.

I hate to slam them, but the whole thing didn't seem very well thought out (or at least, that was my impression, from reading about it).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 10:54 Beamer

John wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:53:
I think they just didn't start off right. It was first called "An Old-school RPG" but then they changed to "SHAKER - Old-school RPG". Then they showed what looked to be a fantasy type image for the game but their updates showed a sci-fi character. I think an old-school sci-fi RPG would be cool but they need to be more clear about it.

I also didn't like how in the pitch video they said they would do 'two' completely different RPGs if they got enough money.. I think they should stick with one and make the one better if they get additional funding.

Yeah, the pitch was poor. So was the Project Eternity pitch at first, but this was just worse.

Confusing, and based more on the personalities behind it, but the personalities haven't really been on the forefront of late.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 10:53 John

I think they just didn't start off right. It was first called "An Old-school RPG" but then they changed to "SHAKER - Old-school RPG". Then they showed what looked to be a fantasy type image for the game but their updates showed a sci-fi character. I think an old-school sci-fi RPG would be cool but they need to be more clear about it.

I also didn't like how in the pitch video they said they would do 'two' completely different RPGs if they got enough money.. I think they should stick with one and make the one better if they get additional funding.

This space is available for rent

3. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 10:52 dj LiTh

Lol  

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo