Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the past week, which was released a little later than usual:

1. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  2. Borderlands 2 Season Pass
  3. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
  4. Borderlands 2
  5. Football Manager 2013
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Arma II: Combined Operations
  8. Torchlight II
  9. DOOM 3: BFG Edition
  10. Payday: The Heist

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 11:55 John

nin wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 11:11:
I want to say the current beta allows you to specify a install folder for all games, but I'm not sure it allows you to specify per app.

I've not tried it myself, however.

What is this beta you speak of and how do I get in on that? I think I selected the option to be a beta tester in the Steam settings but I will have to make sure that's still on next time I get on.

This space is available for rent
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 11:55 Techie714

ASeven wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 11:08:
Glad to see Chivalry that high up. The game is awesome and is everything WotR should have been.

Agree! Chivalry is a pretty fun game. I played a few hours this weekend & loved it! I got it when it was on KS for 15.00.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 11:53 Creston

Yeah Revolutions was boring. The story was naff, and it was exactly the same game as Brotherhood. Kind of a waste of an otherwise extremely cool setting (Constantinople was awesome.)

But I love the way AC3 looks. More direct, quicker combat, outside the city environments, cool setting, it looks great. The sea combat looks poor, but eh, hopefully that won't take up too much of a playthrough.

I agree with BL2, but I've actually found a way around the aggravations of the random generator not dropping shit (and to be fair, in my latest playthrough with Turret Guy I'm finding really good stuff. Most chests I open have a Blue in them, and sometimes a purple, and he's like level 18 or 19 or so. My Siren was finding green/white/green/white at level 24....)

If I go two main missions now without getting anything new weapon-wise, I just open the Golden Chest and consider that the reward for the mission. *shrug*

Works just fine. I gave my Siren two weapons out of the Golden Chest, and suddenly she's moving efficiently through levels again, rather than it being a fucking slogfest like it had been before. Borderlands is awesome when you can engage a large number of enemies and take them out in a reasonably effective manner. If you have to constantly try to pull one enemy out of a group, to then waste two clips of sniper ammo to kill it, to then move on to enemy #2, it becomes terribly irritating, especially since shit respawns waaaaaay too quickly.

Also, I made 80 on my Guardian in GW2! Whooo!

Creston

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 11:43 Verno

Not sure I'll bother with Assassin's Creed 3. The naval combat stuff looks out of place and gimmicky as hell. They wore thin on me with the yearly offshoots, Brotherhood was a great refinement but I didn't like Revolutions at all. At this point I don't care at all about what happens in the framing story and while they continually introduce new supplemental elements, it never feels like the gameplay seriously evolves. I feel like I've watched every possible permutation of "push butan to watch complex execution move" at this point. I will wait and see on that one.

BL2 was a strange experience for me. I did get some fun out of it but I think I'm kinda done with the series now, I'm not sure it has anything more to offer. The loot stuff really dragged down the experience for me, finding good loot was annoying in a game that's supposed to be about loot. The loot variety wasn't wonderful either, the manufacturer restrictions added some character to each manufacturers productions but at the same time you end up in a scenario where you keep finding almost identical weapons of varying kinds. The game had serious difficulty boomerang which wore on my patience, you'd go from destroying everything to practically getting one shot. Oddly enough I thought the sidequests were some of the best parts of the game and Handsome Jack was well executed too. I have to give them props too, the PC port was really well done this time and totally made up for the fiasco that was the first games release.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 11:22 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:24:
Agreed, I hope it sells ok as I'd love to see more games like it and more content in that universe. Really crowded launch window is hurting it

I REALLY want it. I REALLY want to play it. But I'm still playing Guild Wars 2 (heavily), I'm still playing Borderlands 2 (less heavily), I just finished a game of XCOM and am about to start a new one, and Assassin's Creed 3 is less than a month away. Oh, and I threw cash at Obsidian.

I'm tapped out. I just don't have the 60 bucks to buy it. It's going to have to wait until Christmas or later.

It's sad that really good games don't get enough attention to make publishers sit up and pay attention. If anything, this just makes them go "See? We knew your weird game wouldn't sell. Your next game will be Call of Modern Pew Pew: Kill All The Yellow Men."

As for XCOM, does anyone feel that the "assault the enemy base" and the final mission were pretty lacking? Especially the final mission was just... I dunno, boring. I spent a good amount of time trying to get past the (spoiler) spot where there are two of those warmechs side by side, as they kept fucking me up with their bullshit "we can launch rockets AND shoot twice!" mechanic, but then the final battle was over in a single turn. (In The Zone for the win!!!)

I REALLY wish they hadn't gone the bullshit "Enemies get bonusses to hit and to critical damage on Classic mode" route. I've tried Classic twice now, and I just get too frustrated with Sectoids pulling off insane shots from across the level that critical hit my guy who is in full fucking cover.

And normal is really just a tad too easy. I made it with two rookie casualties, both of whom had been on "Go run at the big scary monster with this stun prod!" duty, and then of course Jack Bauer died right after I renamed him from "Expendable Sacrifice" to "Jack Bauer." My main soldiers made it from the very first mission to the very last.

There's a mod out there that takes the bonuses away from the enemies on Classic, but it also makes kidnap and terror UFOs discoverable, which makes the beginning of the game nearly impossible to do.

Creston

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 11:11 nin

I thought the Steam update would let us pick where to install all Steam games!

I want to say the current beta allows you to specify a install folder for all games, but I'm not sure it allows you to specify per app.

I've not tried it myself, however.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 11:08 ASeven

Glad to see Chivalry that high up. The game is awesome and is everything WotR should have been.  

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 11:07 John

Speaking of Steam, does anyone know how to get the option to pick the install directory of every game? For some reason it only allows me to pick the install drive on about half of my games. I thought the Steam update would let us pick where to install all Steam games!

It's stupid especially since there isn't enough disc space to install some games onto the drive that Steam is installed on yet it won't give me the option to pick another drive! Do I have to reinstall Steam onto the other drive?

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:13:
Makes me sad that Dishonored isn't on this list. It's a really great and fun game.
If they sold it for $50 instead of $60 (like console games) I think it would sell better.. especially since it's a digital download. I can't justify paying that much for a SP-only game unless it's really long like Skyrim. I'll jump on it as soon as it goes on sale though..

This space is available for rent

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 10:58 Beamer

I am dying to play XCOM and Dishonored.

Need more time! I have at least 2 more weeks of Borderlands 2, and I haven't played FTL in about a week and still have tons to do in that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 10:54 dj LiTh

MisterBenn wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:26:
So after a couple weeks of honeymoon period, what's the assessment of XCOM single player?

Has its problems, but worthy successor...which is saying a lot.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 10:32 nin

Add to that Mark of the Ninja, which is one of my games of the year. Sadly, this game severely lacks advertising, at least on the PC front.

Retro City Rampage disappeared the same way. Without word of mouth, these indies tend to get lost in the shuffle, especially during the fall rush.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 10:26 MisterBenn

So after a couple weeks of honeymoon period, what's the assessment of XCOM single player?  

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 10:25 coldcut

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:13:
Makes me sad that Dishonored isn't on this list. It's a really great and fun game.
Add to that Mark of the Ninja, which is one of my games of the year. Sadly, this game severely lacks advertising, at least on the PC front. Steam community contributions are also very rare. I'm not really sure if I read anything about it on Blues. This game deserves a lot more attention, as almost everything is perfectly crafted. Plus, it's cheap

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 10:24 Verno

Agreed, I hope it sells ok as I'd love to see more games like it and more content in that universe. Really crowded launch window is hurting it  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 10:24 nin

I'm also surprised how little attention it's getting. I'm wondering if launching in the spring (with less competition and more visibility) might have been better for it.

Glad BL2 is doing well...I'm hooked.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 10:13 Pineapple Ferguson

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo