Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the past week, which was released a little later than usual:

1. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  2. Borderlands 2 Season Pass
  3. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
  4. Borderlands 2
  5. Football Manager 2013
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Arma II: Combined Operations
  8. Torchlight II
  9. DOOM 3: BFG Edition
  10. Payday: The Heist

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 17:20 Riker

Dishonored dropped off the list... that's pretty surprising. It's certainly one of the best games of the year, along with XCOM.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 17:14 Creston

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 15:42:
Why dont you just use the mod that takes away those bonuses for hit% and crit% in Classic? xcom.nexusmods.com

Because so far the only version of that mod I had seen also made kidnap and terror UFOs discoverable, which made the game virtually impossible to play in the early stages. (Because you get like five UFOs flying around which you can't do anything about, as your fighters aren't strong enough to take down a Terror UFO, and so your panic fucking skyrockets.)

I appreciate the link though, I'll check it out.

Creston

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 16:46 Crustacean Soup

Techie714 wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 11:55:
ASeven wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 11:08:
Glad to see Chivalry that high up. The game is awesome and is everything WotR should have been.

Agree! Chivalry is a pretty fun game. I played a few hours this weekend & loved it! I got it when it was on KS for 15.00.

Feeling the <3 . We're pretty stoked to be selling this well.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 16:06 Beamer

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 14:45:
Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 14:34:
Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 11:22:
I REALLY wish they hadn't gone the bullshit "Enemies get bonusses to hit and to critical damage on Classic mode" route. I've tried Classic twice now, and I just get too frustrated with Sectoids pulling off insane shots from across the level that critical hit my guy who is in full fucking cover.

I started in Classic and with no idea what normal is like, it just makes the game feel lethal. It you remember the original, aliens would one-shot your guys left and right for the first few months. There was no concept of a critical there, but plasma weapons were stacked to wreck your guys. It feels the same in Classic, people are just gonna die. When you get suppression fire and some body armor, you start to feel like a badass. I don't think I lost anyone besides expendable rookies for the last 10 missions of my ironman game.

I don't mind dying from a plasma weapon. I do mind dying from a Sectoid shooting me from 30 squares away while I'm in full cover. I mean, at that point there's literally nothing you can do anymore besides just accept you'll be doing everything with rookies.

And it wouldn't be so bad if they did it because it's a makeable shot. But the turn before I had that same guy aim at that same sectoid (who was in HALF cover) and got a 1% chance to hit... It's knowing that they just get bullshit bonuses that pisses me off.

Why can't classic just be twice the amount of enemies as normal? Why does it have to be the lazy-ass-developer way of "They have more hp and do more damage har har har?"

Creston

Yeah, that was part of the fun of the original - knowing how disposable everyone was in the beginning. One shots were common, and you had to carefully ration out armor.

Towards the end you'd still occasionally get one-shot, but the pain tended to come more from psi-ops (which is why I always disabled that, once mods allowed for it.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 15:42 dj LiTh

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 14:45:
I REALLY wish they hadn't gone the bullshit "Enemies get bonusses to hit and to critical damage on Classic mode" route. I've tried Classic twice now, and I just get too frustrated with Sectoids pulling off insane shots from across the level that critical hit my guy who is in full fucking cover.

I started in Classic and with no idea what normal is like, it just makes the game feel lethal. It you remember the original, aliens would one-shot your guys left and right for the first few months. There was no concept of a critical there, but plasma weapons were stacked to wreck your guys. It feels the same in Classic, people are just gonna die. When you get suppression fire and some body armor, you start to feel like a badass. I don't think I lost anyone besides expendable rookies for the last 10 missions of my ironman game.

I don't mind dying from a plasma weapon. I do mind dying from a Sectoid shooting me from 30 squares away while I'm in full cover. I mean, at that point there's literally nothing you can do anymore besides just accept you'll be doing everything with rookies.

And it wouldn't be so bad if they did it because it's a makeable shot. But the turn before I had that same guy aim at that same sectoid (who was in HALF cover) and got a 1% chance to hit... It's knowing that they just get bullshit bonuses that pisses me off.

Why can't classic just be twice the amount of enemies as normal? Why does it have to be the lazy-ass-developer way of "They have more hp and do more damage har har har?"

Creston

Why dont you just use the mod that takes away those bonuses for hit% and crit% in Classic? xcom.nexusmods.com

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 14:45 Creston

Creston

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 14:34 Mikus_Aurelius

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 14:24 Flatline

As for XCOM, does anyone feel that the "assault the enemy base" and the final mission were pretty lacking? Especially the final mission was just... I dunno, boring.

I've tried the final mission 3 times now, and each time I encountered a different game-stopping bug. First time I had a hard lock, second time I had a CTD, and third time during the frame-rate drop that occasionally happens a floater clipped through the wall and apparently the mission is scripted and I can't continue until I kill the dude. Thank GOD I'm not playing Ironman, because I'd blow my top if my entire game failed at that point.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 14:16 xXBatmanXx

John wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 11:07:
Speaking of Steam, does anyone know how to get the option to pick the install directory of every game? For some reason it only allows me to pick the install drive on about half of my games. I thought the Steam update would let us pick where to install all Steam games!

It's stupid especially since there isn't enough disc space to install some games onto the drive that Steam is installed on yet it won't give me the option to pick another drive! Do I have to reinstall Steam onto the other drive?

The have responded in forums saying only games that have been converted to the new system work that way. I know, frustrating....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 13:57 jomisab

I wonder if a sale on Dishonored is not that far off. Thought it would still be in the top 10.

Oh well...took the plunge and having a total blast with it. Was concerned about the negative comments concerning the graphics, but they're nicely stylized, and using SweetFX and 4x super sampling, I'm totally diggin' the look.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 13:22 Beelzebud

MisterBenn wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:26:
So after a couple weeks of honeymoon period, what's the assessment of XCOM single player?

It's lives up to the name. Is it perfect? What is? Personally I'm thrilled that a AAA studio released a turn based strategy game, and did a good job of it, so I'm not complaining. I can't help but play this and wish Fallout 3 had been done using this style.

It's not as hardcore as the first game, but frankly after having played UFO Defense around 6 months ago, I seriously think that is a GOOD thing. UFO Defense is a classic, but it is not a perfect game, and had lots of room for improvement.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 13:13 Dev

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 12:57:
So far, I've only come across one bug that forces you to reload a save. (If you run out of ammo with your first shot of double tap, you can take no further action with that character anymore, thus making it impossible to end the turn.) All other issues are minor, to be honest.
Try hitting the END TURN key, the backspace key. Or click on the icon for it. Those clickable icons on lower left tell you things you can do with keys, and one of them is that. I dunno if there's a similar shortcut with xbox controller.

Verno wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 12:47:
John wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 12:42:
Yeah, I'll have to look into doing the junction thing you and Dev mentioned. Does that cause any issues when a game has an update or DLC?

Nope, it is essentially the same to programs as if you installed the program to that directory. I use Linkshell Extension personally. Totally safe to do.
Basically its like links in linux. MS implemented them long ago (XP or before) but basically no one uses them. Actually MS puts a bunch of them in vista/windows 7 in order to have things like MY PICTURES appear to programs to be in the same documents location as old windows, but its all actually in users now.

Anyway, to programs its treated identically if it has those links. They can't even really tell its somewhere else. I've used this for years (since I use a SSD for boot drive and before that a raptor, and installed steam on it), and never ever had a problem from it and my 500+ steam library.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2012, 13:19.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 13:09 J

I almost completely overlooked Dishonored. If it wasn't for a link to an rps review (perhaps preview, I forget) from this site I probably wouldn't have got it. On the flipside, I'm very glad I did. I'm on my third playthrough now and still finding things out which I missed before, despite trying to be thorough. I estimate I should easily get around 60 hours out of this, and I got it discounted so the bang for pound (pun intended) ratio is pretty good.

I could say I got more hours out of Skyrim, but I'd have to then say I got more quality time out of Dishonored. It's more compact.

XCOM... I'm waiting for the patch. It's an awesome game when it's doing what it should be doing, but some of those bugs are showstoppers. I hear Firaxis has a reputation for patching things up good so I'm waiting. From what's come out so far it looks like they were pressed into releasing earlier than they'd have liked.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 12:57 Creston

DG wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 12:53:
dj LiTh wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:54:
So after a couple weeks of honeymoon period, what's the assessment of XCOM single player?

Has its problems, but worthy successor...which is saying a lot.
Best to grab it on its first sale? Or are they the kind of problems which aren't likely to be fixed?

So far, I've only come across one bug that forces you to reload a save. (If you run out of ammo with your first shot of double tap, you can take no further action with that character anymore, thus making it impossible to end the turn.) All other issues are minor, to be honest. Maybe they'll relent and take the cheating bonuses away from the AI in Classic mode.

Really the only problem I have with the game is that you get way too many downed UFO missions versus cool "shoot up a city block" missions.

Creston

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 12:53 DG

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:54:

Has its problems, but worthy successor...which is saying a lot.
Best to grab it on its first sale? Or are they the kind of problems which aren't likely to be fixed?

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 12:47 Verno

John wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 12:42:
Yeah, I'll have to look into doing the junction thing you and Dev mentioned. Does that cause any issues when a game has an update or DLC?

Nope, it is essentially the same to programs as if you installed the program to that directory. I use Linkshell Extension personally. Totally safe to do.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 12:42 John

Dev wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 12:18:
No, I think they said only ones that had been "reformulated" to the new file format. Remember the big patches for some games which was mostly changing the file format on steam? That's one of the benefits. Plus next patches to those games should be smaller.
Hmm, that must be the problem although it seems odd that the games need an update to be installed on another drive. Also, Crysis allows me to select the drive yet Crysis 2 does not.. strange.

Verno wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 12:26:
There is a convoluted way to get per-folder settings but I haven't tried it myself, it was detailed in a previous story but I'm sure its easily googled.

I actually prefer doing it outside of Steam anyway, I use junction points.

This space is available for rent

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 12:26 Verno

John wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 11:55:
nin wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 11:11:
I want to say the current beta allows you to specify a install folder for all games, but I'm not sure it allows you to specify per app.

I've not tried it myself, however.

What is this beta you speak of and how do I get in on that? I think I selected the option to be a beta tester in the Steam settings but I will have to make sure that's still on next time I get on.

That's all you do. Under Settings->Beta Participation, select Steam Update Beta and restart Steam. When you go to install a game for the first time, it will let you select where to install it. It doesn't really work on a per folder basis, Steam instead lets you have a steam library on a different drive and install the game there.

There is a convoluted way to get per-folder settings but I haven't tried it myself, it was detailed in a previous story but I'm sure its easily googled.

I actually prefer doing it outside of Steam anyway, I use junction points.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 12:18 Dev

John wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 11:07:
Speaking of Steam, does anyone know how to get the option to pick the install directory of every game? For some reason it only allows me to pick the install drive on about half of my games. I thought the Steam update would let us pick where to install all Steam games!
No, I think they said only ones that had been "reformulated" to the new file format. Remember the big patches for some games which was mostly changing the file format on steam? That's one of the benefits. Plus next patches to those games should be smaller.

Also, its possible to make any game install in any folder if you use symbolic links/junctions. I suggest link shell extension:
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html
Then you can do it with just a couple clicks, rather than figuring out some weird command line crap.
Install, move, and link to old location.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 12:09 bubba ray

Hmmm - Dishonored is at 6 in the UK Steam store. And No.1 retail.  

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo