Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the past week, which was released a little later than usual:

1. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  2. Borderlands 2 Season Pass
  3. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
  4. Borderlands 2
  5. Football Manager 2013
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Arma II: Combined Operations
  8. Torchlight II
  9. DOOM 3: BFG Edition
  10. Payday: The Heist

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

56. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 16:27 Dev

nin wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 14:33:
Sad you can't use the coupon and "cash back/credit" discount on Bio, or I would have taken a chance for under $40.

I think the cash back is for games like x-com where GMG is contractually prohibited by 2kgames from offering coupons for it. They found a clever way to give fans a discount without giving them a discount.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 14:33 nin

Sad you can't use the coupon and "cash back/credit" discount on Bio, or I would have taken a chance for under $40.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

54. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 14:18 xXBatmanXx

Greenman still has 20% off, and here are their top sellers.

1 Homefront $4.99
2 Football Manager 20... $29.99
3 BioShock Infinite $59.99
4 Borderlands 2 Seaso... $22.99
5 MoH: Warfighter LE $59.99
6 Borderlands 2 (NA) $39.99
7 A Game of Dwarves $9.99
8 Guild Wars 2 $59.99 $57.99
9 Red Orchestra 2 $9.99
10 Dishonored (NA) $52.99

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

53. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 06:24 InBlack

Xcom is awesome. Buy it now.  

I have a nifty blue line!

52. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 03:46 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 02:46:
Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:13:
Makes me sad that Dishonored isn't on this list. It's a really great and fun game.

Weird, I'm looking at the Steam top 10 best sellers right now, and seeing the following:

1. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
2. XCOM
3. Dishonored
4. BL 2
5. BL 2 Season Pass
6. BioShock Infinite
7. GTA: Vice City
8. TL II
9. Football Manager 2013
10. CS: Global Offensive
There's a difference between weekly and daily lists that list currently best selling.

51. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 03:43 Jerykk

Teddy wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 03:04:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 02:58:
Mark of the Ninja is indeed great. It actually rewards players for true ghosting (no killing, no incapacitating, no detections, no alarms). It always makes me sad when stealth games give you "Ghost" rewards or achievements for knocking people out when that is only superficially different than killing them (DX:HR and Dishonored, I'm looking at you). Leaving piles of bodies (either dead or unconscious) in your wake doesn't qualify as stealth.

That's promising to hear. I'd heard that it was in a weird situation with that, where it would reward you for things like that, and encourage you to play stealthy but all the bonuses you could get were related to killing, none for distraction or anything of the sort that might help with being more stealthy.

That's not accurate. You get points for being undetected (by hiding and letting enemies pass by you) and for distractions. You get a big point bonus if you get through a level without killing anyone.

Unless you're talking about unlocks. I haven't actually unlocked anything yet so I don't know what they do, but in most games, special abilities and powers pertain to combat, not stealth. Ghosting, by its very nature, is a minimalistic playstyle so I don't really mind.

50. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 03:04 Teddy

Jerykk wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 02:58:
Mark of the Ninja is indeed great. It actually rewards players for true ghosting (no killing, no incapacitating, no detections, no alarms). It always makes me sad when stealth games give you "Ghost" rewards or achievements for knocking people out when that is only superficially different than killing them (DX:HR and Dishonored, I'm looking at you). Leaving piles of bodies (either dead or unconscious) in your wake doesn't qualify as stealth.

That's promising to hear. I'd heard that it was in a weird situation with that, where it would reward you for things like that, and encourage you to play stealthy but all the bonuses you could get were related to killing, none for distraction or anything of the sort that might help with being more stealthy.

49. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 02:58 Jerykk

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 02:50 jdreyer

nin wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:32:
Add to that Mark of the Ninja, which is one of my games of the year. Sadly, this game severely lacks advertising, at least on the PC front.

Retro City Rampage disappeared the same way. Without word of mouth, these indies tend to get lost in the shuffle, especially during the fall rush.

I dunno, between the god-awful trailer and the 8 bit graphics, I think awareness is less of an issue than mass appeal. Definitely not my cup of tea.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 02:46 jdreyer

coldcut wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:25:
Makes me sad that Dishonored isn't on this list. It's a really great and fun game.
Add to that Mark of the Ninja, which is one of my games of the year. Sadly, this game severely lacks advertising, at least on the PC front. Steam community contributions are also very rare. I'm not really sure if I read anything about it on Blues. This game deserves a lot more attention, as almost everything is perfectly crafted. Plus, it's cheap

I hadn't heard Mark of the Ninja was on PC already! I'm off to buy that RIGHT NOW...

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 02:46 jdreyer

Weird, I'm looking at the Steam top 10 best sellers right now, and seeing the following:

1. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
2. XCOM
3. Dishonored
4. BL 2
5. BL 2 Season Pass
6. BioShock Infinite
7. GTA: Vice City
8. TL II
9. Football Manager 2013
10. CS: Global Offensive

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 01:18 John

Prez wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 01:01:
Correct me if I am wrong, but if people are buying Dishonored elsewhere, for example making use of the 20%-off GMG coupon, those sales won't show up on Steam's totals even though it's a Steamworks game. Steam's weekly numbers are for games bought through their storefront - At least I think that is the way it works.
That's correct.. Steam's top 10 only reflects sales through Steam so overall it could be in the top 10 sales if other sites and physical copies were counted.

This space is available for rent

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 01:01 Prez

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 23:53:
Noooo Dishonored please sell more copies, we need more games like you...

Correct me if I am wrong, but if people are buying Dishonored elsewhere, for example making use of the 20%-off GMG coupon, those sales won't show up on Steam's totals even though it's a Steamworks game. Steam's weekly numbers are for games bought through their storefront - At least I think that is the way it works.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 00:20 Yifes

Prez wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 18:54:
As for XCOM, in this X-COM fanatic's opinion the new one is well worthy of the name even if it is somewhat inferior to the original in some ways. It definitley warrants its apparent runaway success for sure. Too bad those turn-based games don't sell at all anymore...

***EDIT: on sales over the weekend.

Haha glad you like it! I'm also happy that the game is selling well, but there are a few bugs that are irritating the hell out of me.

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 23:55 John

I wonder how it's selling on consoles..  
This space is available for rent

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 23:53 TychoCelchuuu

Noooo Dishonored please sell more copies, we need more games like you...  

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 22:56 Jerykk

Disappointing to see Dishonored no longer on the list. I hope it sells well overall because it's the best stealth game to come out in quite some time and the setting and style are really unique.

GMG still has their 20% off coupon active so you can get Dishonored for $48. If you pre-order Bioshock Infinite, you get $15 in credit too, which could be applied to Dishonored for a total of $33.

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 20:54 xXBatmanXx

That PAYDAY HEIST "Wolfpack" DLC seems pricey at 9.99. Was it cheaper this weekend? Guess I will wait for holiday sale.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 19:30 Bhruic

Three surprises on that list. First, the already mentioned lack of Dishonored. Very good game (although not without issues) that deserves to be on there.

Second would be Arma II being on it. The sales of it seemed entirely driven by the Day Z mod, and with the announcement of the dedicated version of it coming out "shortly", I would have expected sales to drop off considerably.

Third and finally, it's a huge disappointment to see Doom 3 on there. Considering the lack of anything substantial they added to it, it's hard to believe that many people got sucked into paying money for it.

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 18:54 Prez

Not going to say $60 is too much for "Dishonored"; just that it's too much for me. It definitely looks and sounds to be worth it but when faced with a choice between blowing the lion's share of my monthly gaming budget on one game when I could get Sleeping Dogs, Darksiders 2 and Zombie Driver together for less*** I usually opt to buy the larger lot of cheaper games.

As for XCOM, in this X-COM fanatic's opinion the new one is well worthy of the name even if it is somewhat inferior to the original in some ways. It definitley warrants its apparent runaway success for sure. Too bad those turn-based games don't sell at all anymore...

***EDIT: on sales over the weekend.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2012, 19:01.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo