Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 19:00 PHJF

Reading scifi like a normal nerd now, but good lord is reading more fun than I remember.

Ahhh ha, yeah. I was telling my mother kids these days might actually like reading if given ACTUALLY GOOD BOOKS instead of Charles Fucking Dickens.

Have an ever-expanding volume of (mostly) sci fi, classic and modern, on my K3K.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 18:47 Tom

I was hopelessly optimistic about the Kindle Paperwhite and pre-ordered it, planning to upgrade from my 3rd generation Kindle w/ the keyboard.

First of all, regarding what seems to be the #1 complaint people have... the uneven lighting at the bottom. Well, this was much less of an issue than I expected after reading the initial complaints. It's minor and only noticeable under some lighting conditions (i.e. in the dark), and easily ignored once you get into your reading. It's better than the external light I'd been using for the past couple of years on my K3.

Regarding the touch screen, perhaps the #2 complaint, this is actually one of the unit's strong points IMO, for me at least. It has a great feel, it's responsive, accurate, and it's pretty easy to turn pages compared to the physical buttons. Yeah, going back to the previous page isn't as easy, but 99% of the time you just want to go to the next page, and that's easy. Then again, I use the official case to hold the thing. Maybe it's harder without it. The touchscreen keyboard is way easier to type on than the tiny little physical buttons from the K3. And it feels great to just tap a word on the screen to open its dictionary entry, instead of having to cursor over to it and push a button. (Sadly text selection doesn't work for Japanese text in text files for some reason... always selects the whole darn paragraph, *sigh*)

Regarding the audio and text-to-speech: I hardly ever used it, even though the voice was pretty good as far as TTS goes. Its loss was not a big deal for me. Publishers crippled the TTS anyway, and nowadays I'd rather just have the computer TTS it ahead of time and play it as an MP3 on the phone or computer. Admittedly the Kindle was a much simpler proposition, but oh well.

Regarding storage space: 2GB is still plenty, even if only 1.something GB is usable. Books are small, and I don't need em all on there.

SO WHAT SUCKS ABOUT THE KINDLE PAPERWHITE?

One thing. The display clarity. Yep. They said they increased the resolution and improved the fonts. Well, it sure looks like the opposite to me, on both fronts. It just doesn't look as clear as the K3 display, which I assume is due to the added layer of nano-whatever light guide, but maybe it's something else. And the fonts... They don't include the same fonts that were on the K3! I found one that was kind of close, but not as good IMO. I was able to adapt but this was disappointing. The display clarity is still a problem after reading for a while.

At first I thought ok, maybe I'm starting to need glasses. Then I went back and read on the K3. Right off the bat it was like night and day. After a couple hours of reading I was certain. The difference is just heartbreaking. So for me, it mainly comes down to a choice between a crystal clear display with annoying external light, or fuzzy display with nice internal light. If I had any sense at all I'd just return the Paperwhite and wait until they get it right, but I don't, so I'm going to hope I'm just crazy and give it a few more "second chances"... maybe lend both Kindles to someone else and see if they notice the same thing.

Anyway, there's my sad story about the Kindle Paperwhite. Hope y'all enjoyed it. Thanks Amazon for hyping the crap out of this thing and then utterly failing to live up to it, or your previous products.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention another really stupid thing about the Paperwhite. By default, it doesn't fully refresh the e-ink display when you turn the page. I remember this was an experimental option with the K3 and the results were "kind of ok but not really". Well, in the Paperwhite it's the default, and it looks even worse. Yeah it changes the page contents pretty quickly, but you see this terrible looking afterimage of the previous contents. It really looks like garbage, like the thing is broken. Fortunately you turn off this idiotic "feature" when reading, but unfortunately you can't turn it off for the web browser - which is used for the Wikipedia integration and other stuff. Whoever at Amazon thought this was a good idea must be blind and/or a freaking moron. It's the kind of decision that throws the whole design sense of the product creators into question.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2012, 18:53.

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 16:35 Beamer

Actually, looking on a better monitor, I see the splotchiness, but only on the bottom in those pics. I do not care about that in any way, shape or form.

It's the touch keeping me away.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 16:31 nin

Bet wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 16:29:
nin wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 16:27:
Reading scifi like a normal nerd now, but good lord is reading more fun than I remember.

It gets mentioned here from time to time, but if you're not read Altered Carbon, go grab it now.

I haven't, so I will!

There's two more books after it in the series. But AC is the best of the 3 IMO (although the other 2 certainly aren't bad). It's been optioned for a movie, but god knows if that will ever happen.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 16:29 Bet

nin wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 16:27:

It gets mentioned here from time to time, but if you're not read Altered Carbon, go grab it now.

I haven't, so I will!

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 16:27 nin

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 16:16 Bet

Beamer wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 11:43:
Doesn't look splotchy to me in those pics, and most reviews say it's much less splotchy than competitors.

But I haven't purchased one, either. I would love the light, but even though reviews say that the touch page turning is much easier than before I'm still not bought in. I typically read with one hand (haha, sounds pervy, but typically the other hand is supporting my head as I recline) and having to move my thumb to turn the page seems like a way to drop the device. Just pushing my thumb in a bit is easy.

Seems like just another example of people freaking out over physical buttons. I prefer them. Hate the touch buttons on my phone that are too easy to accidentally swipe and would hate not having physical buttons on my Kindle.
The competitors are built more cheaply, I think (they're named Kobo Glo in all territory but the US). I read the same way you do (I think it's pretty terrible for our spines, but whatever), I've found that with the last-gen keyboardless Kindle (with hardware pageflip buttons) and a kickass cover for it http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Lighted-Leather-Paperwhite-Keyboard/dp/B004SD1ZPY/

well, with that combo I've been having more fun reading than when I was a teenager and enjoyed the overly emo WoT series. Reading scifi like a normal nerd now, but good lord is reading more fun than I remember.

Definitely fun because e-ink kicks all ass.

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 14:41 Shok

I figured I would put this here since we are talking about kindles. I just found an easy way to remove the amazon drm from my kindle books with a calibre a plugin. The steps to set up are here.

After reading this post about a user losing all their kindle books because amazon closed their account I decided to back up my books. (That link is getting hammered because it is the top link on hackernews at the moment.)

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 12:56 DG

Verno wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:25:
I'd really like to see another Kindle with physical page turn buttons, its much easier to read with one hand that way. I don't mind paying a premium for it either.
They are continuing the regular non-touch Kindle, which just had an upgrade recently.

I got one a bit over a month ago. Admittedly I spent the first day habitually trying to swipe it like my smartphone, but subsequently I personally have not missed a touchscreen.

Also it is a little small in my hands, not quite perfectly comfortable to hold, I'd prefer it a bit thicker. Case should solve that however.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 11:43 Beamer

nin wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:22:
Is Amazon Really Discontinuing the Kindle Touch?

That's the first time I've heard anything negetive about the paperwhite, but I agree, the splotchy lighting looks odd.

Doesn't look splotchy to me in those pics, and most reviews say it's much less splotchy than competitors.

But I haven't purchased one, either. I would love the light, but even though reviews say that the touch page turning is much easier than before I'm still not bought in. I typically read with one hand (haha, sounds pervy, but typically the other hand is supporting my head as I recline) and having to move my thumb to turn the page seems like a way to drop the device. Just pushing my thumb in a bit is easy.

Seems like just another example of people freaking out over physical buttons. I prefer them. Hate the touch buttons on my phone that are too easy to accidentally swipe and would hate not having physical buttons on my Kindle.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 11:42 Shok

nin wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:22:

That's the first time I've heard anything negetive about the paperwhite, but I agree, the splotchy lighting looks odd.

Scott Hanselman reviewed it on his blog and opened my eyes to all its shortcomings at least from the perspective of a gadget geek

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 10:25 Verno

I'd really like to see another Kindle with physical page turn buttons, its much easier to read with one hand that way. I don't mind paying a premium for it either.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 10:22 nin

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo