Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Project Eternity Interview

There's an interview on Sorcerer's Place talking with Adam Brennecke, project director on Project Eternity, the upcoming role-playing game from Obsidian Entertainment. They discuss the game's Kickstarter success, where development stands right now, how they plan on keeping the lines of communication open with fans, ETA for Kickstarter rewards, how the see publisher relations evolving in the future, some details about the game, and more.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 23, 2012, 03:05 Jerykk

Obsidian clearly overestimated how much they could accomplish with KOTOR2 but they were given an unreasonably short dev cycle to work with. Yes, they chose to accept that dev cycle but LucasArts is the one who set it in the first place. If LA had been willing to invest more time and money into one of their hottest properties, the game would have been better for it. Both parties are to blame, really.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 22, 2012, 22:45 Yifes

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 14:21:
Everyone knew from day 1 that KotoR2 was going to come out for Christmas 2004. Every fan of the series knew it, every media outlet knew it, every retailer knew it, lucasarts knew it. So you can be fairly certain that Obsidian knew it too. They got too ambitious with a game that they only had 12-18 months to deliver, and a result it broke down horribly near the end.

Creston

Thanks for the link. Great thread by the way, wonder how I missed it.

16. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 22, 2012, 14:24 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 03:26:
While Obsidian may not have strict deadlines, they do have a limited budget. If they go over-budget, they will reach a point where it simply isn't feasible to continue working on the game. At that point, they can either release it as it is, cancel it or put it on hold until they get more funding.

I have faith that they can execute on their current plans but people need to understand that even without publishers, there are still limits to how much time you can invest in any given project.

At that point it might be wise to just finish the game and skip any of the extras that were promised and not yet done. It's gotta be cheaper to release a not completely done game versus pissing off 75000 of your hardcore fans (not to mention the amount of demands for refunds they'll be hit with.)

Creston

15. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 22, 2012, 14:21 Creston

Yifes wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 02:27:
Bhruic wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 01:18:
Acleacius wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 17:12:
The difference should be obvious, they are setting the time frame and budget for their own game, not a publisher. Every time, they've had to release a game early for a publisher and they've done an insane amount of work for a small budget.

We have straight from the horse's mouth that that's not true. Kotor 2 wasn't forced to be released early, they just underestimated the amount of time and effort it would take to release the game the way they envisioned it. It was Obsidian's screw-up. There's absolutely no reason to think that them setting their own schedule and budget ensures they won't have issues. Certainly they have more experience by this point, so I hope they won't have issues, but it's possible that a year and a half from now they might find they don't have enough money to fund development. And it won't be because of a publisher.

Really? Cutting a bunch of content after a hectic 18 month schedule in order to make a Christmas release date sounds pretty forced to me. I'd love to read the interview you're referring to where Obsidian admitted that they themselves planned the December launch and not Lucasarts.

It's useless to try to argue this with Acleacius, as he'll undoubtedly try to argue that Lucasarts brainwashed Avellone to say this, but in this AMA they say that it's all their fault. I'd even look up the pertinent quote for you, but apparently reddit is down?

Edit : It's back up, so here is the quote:

Personally, my first experience with you guys was Knights of the Old Republic 2, and I loved that game. However, it does get a lot of criticism (especially from fans who prefer the first game). A lot of people blame this on a rushed schedule. Do you think the game was rushed, and if you could change anything about the game, what would you change?

[]Obsidian_Ent[S] 119 points 6 days ago

Chris Avellone looks back:

The issues with K2 are my fault, and no one else's. Looking back, I would have taken more care to focus on the elements of the game that mattered the most: the story and characters, and removed the mini-games, for example (those were a waste of time) and also cast away many of the cut scenes (they cost too much time to do technically, despite how much we liked them).

I also would have downscoped the cast and done what we've done on titles after that - made a smaller, more reactive cast and kept the central character pillars (Kreia, Atton, Mira, Visas Marr). I would have kept T3-M4, regardless.

Now, if you want to sit there and be convinced that that it was Lucasarts' fault even if the actual developer says it was THEIR FAULT AND NOBODY ELSE'S, then go right ahead.

Everyone knew from day 1 that KotoR2 was going to come out for Christmas 2004. Every fan of the series knew it, every media outlet knew it, every retailer knew it, lucasarts knew it. So you can be fairly certain that Obsidian knew it too. They got too ambitious with a game that they only had 12-18 months to deliver, and a result it broke down horribly near the end.

Creston

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2012, 22:06.

14. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 22, 2012, 12:31 Dev

Acleacius wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 00:41:
Dev wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 22:22:
They still have paypal open on their page, and for a limited time, all the kickstarter rewards are choices there too I think.

It would be great if they leave the paypal up, with rewards till they ship.
Not going to happen. That would just encourage people to skip the kickstarter. And they already said it was for limited time.

They will likely switch to a pre-order system where they offer some of the benefits that people received in kickstarter, but certainly not all of them. They will become "pre-order" bonuses. For instance, if they offer an item in kickstarter thats an exclusive, when they do pre-orders they could offer a different item so its not the one that was supposed to be exclusive, yet its a bonus item.

13. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 22, 2012, 10:14 RollinThundr

The difference should be obvious, they are setting the time frame and budget for their own game, not a publisher. Every time, they've had to release a game early for a publisher and they've done an insane amount of work for a small budget.

We have straight from the horse's mouth that that's not true. Kotor 2 wasn't forced to be released early, they just underestimated the amount of time and effort it would take to release the game the way they envisioned it. It was Obsidian's screw-up. There's absolutely no reason to think that them setting their own schedule and budget ensures they won't have issues. Certainly they have more experience by this point, so I hope they won't have issues, but it's possible that a year and a half from now they might find they don't have enough money to fund development. And it won't be because of a publisher.

Really? Cutting a bunch of content after a hectic 18 month schedule in order to make a Christmas release date sounds pretty forced to me. I'd love to read the interview you're referring to where Obsidian admitted that they themselves planned the December launch and not Lucasarts.

Again, I've said it before, when a developer signs a contract to deliver in a particular time frame (18 monts for example) It's not the publisher's fault if they plan too much and run out of time. Sure LA could have extended their contract but some of that blame need fall on Obsidian.

12. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 22, 2012, 04:58 Bhruic

I'm sure Lucasarts planned the December launch. But are you trying to imply that Obsidian was unaware of the release date? Of course they knew it ahead of time. They knew what their timeline was like and unfortunately their plan ended up being overly ambitious for that timeline and they couldn't finish in time.

As Jerykk says, they won't have a specific time deadline for this project, but they will still have a financial one. That can be just as demanding.

11. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 22, 2012, 03:26 Jerykk

While Obsidian may not have strict deadlines, they do have a limited budget. If they go over-budget, they will reach a point where it simply isn't feasible to continue working on the game. At that point, they can either release it as it is, cancel it or put it on hold until they get more funding.

I have faith that they can execute on their current plans but people need to understand that even without publishers, there are still limits to how much time you can invest in any given project.

10. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 22, 2012, 02:27 Yifes

9. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 22, 2012, 01:18 Bhruic

8. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 22, 2012, 00:41 Acleacius

Dev wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 22:22:
They still have paypal open on their page, and for a limited time, all the kickstarter rewards are choices there too I think.

It would be great if they leave the paypal up, with rewards till they ship.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

7. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 21, 2012, 22:22 Dev

MisterBenn wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 22:20:
I would love for this to reach a great conclusion but I'll wait and see the result before throwing my cash in. The staff, funding and development conditions may all be close to ideal but it's not automatic to reach a successful end product when the undertaking's this complex and far reaching. I hope they can pull it off!

6. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 21, 2012, 22:20 MisterBenn

I would love for this to reach a great conclusion but I'll wait and see the result before throwing my cash in. The staff, funding and development conditions may all be close to ideal but it's not automatic to reach a successful end product when the undertaking's this complex and far reaching. I hope they can pull it off!  

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

5. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 21, 2012, 17:12 Acleacius

Great read.

It doesn't matter how humble CA is trying to be, everyone knows lucas arts is bad publisher with terrible funding and timetables. la doesn't give a damn about it developers. It's why most if not all of designers left the company years ago.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

4. Foolzatch@gmail.com Oct 21, 2012, 15:26 Rain

At least "the development team will be ramping up in size to tackle the increased scope of the game," so hopefully that will offset potential delays.  

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

3. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 21, 2012, 14:08 nin

Yeah, I was a little surprised he says they're committed to the initial launch window. With the project now being bigger than initially planned, I'm much rather them take their time and get it right, than to rush.

Oh well, still a year and a half off, so I'm not panicking yet...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 21, 2012, 14:00 Cutter

I'd like to ask how he intends to make sure they stat focused so they're on time and on budget for once.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 21, 2012, 13:55 nin

Interesting read - I like what I'm hearing!

And poor Blue - weekly updates!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo