Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ken Rolston Joins Turbine

Ken Rolston is the new head of design at Turbine Games, reports Develop, after the long-time lead designer on Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series was left out of a job when the demise of 38 Studios dragged Big Huge Games under. It's not explicitly stated what Ken will be working on at the Lord of the Rings Online developer, other than word that: "He will be responsible for all aspects of game design from vision to implementation."

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 21, 2012, 20:17 HorrorScope

I know there were Harry Potter MMO rumors at one point with Turbine, ultimately Turbine is owned by WB. Turbine is like Failcom but better... they only seem to make mmo's.

Or do they buy Kingdom of Amular mmo assets?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 21, 2012, 13:22 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 11:36:
Reread the sentence you quoted.

Oh I see... he may not be working on LOTRO at all.

My Bad.

What a fucked up sentence! LOL

22. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 21, 2012, 11:36 Beamer

wtf_man wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 14:24:
Ken will be working on at the Lord of the Rings Online developer, other than word that: "He will be responsible for all aspects of game design from vision to implementation."

How does one "design" a game that has already been out for a long time?

Yeah... new expansions and stuff... but you can't design the core gameplay, because it's already established. Grats on him getting a new job, but he shouldn't have left Bethesda to begin with.

Reread the sentence you quoted.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 21, 2012, 08:50 NewMaxx

Axis wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 23:57:
Ya I kept a small group of enthusiasts going as well, but it was never the same not even close.

Turbine really did miss a gigantic opportunity, of this I've no doubt. And someday some team will pick up where they almost took off.

It's true, it did remind me a lot of some of the ideas forged by UO. What you get is a case of misguided developers taking something too far in the wrong direction. Making something accessible doesn't have to mean sucking the soul out of it, but you'd never know by some of the decisions MMO developers make.

I've seen many ideas taken from LOTRO and introduced into other MMO's and games, who knows; maybe Jeremy Soule will kick Bethesda's ass to get free with instruments in TESO.

20. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 21, 2012, 06:39 Julio

Tehol wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 06:20:
why fight over mmo?

Especially LOTR which isn't very good...

19. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 21, 2012, 06:20 Tehol

why fight over mmo?  

18. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 21, 2012, 02:19 RailWizard

Axis wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 23:48:

Can't say anything is "fact" when you just admitted you had no clue what was going on with the game until it went F2P.

I could care less what went on. Turbine sucks as bad as Funcom at making MMOs.

As for the "facts", that was just a jab at comments you made about POE. Which was AFAIK the only other time I have replied to you. Which then makes your comment about me constantly attacking you seem kind of retarded. Keep living the dream tho.

17. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 20, 2012, 23:57 Axis

NewMaxx wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 23:18:
Axis wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 17:01:
Regardless of how you'd like to label it - it caused most everyone to shut it off.

No one gives a shit if you can hit one button and spam Stairway to Heaven at the AH.

ABC ruined it, simple as that.

You're both right. Last time I played, there were plenty of people who took the time to playback ABC respectively, while the diehards regretted the change. What I saw was that people in the auction house and public areas would, as Axis suggested, disabled music, to avoid the ABC thrall. Yet I worked with a lot of people who wanted to keep the original dream alive and worked with whatever was available to achieve that goal. I think the spirit of the idea gets lost a lot of the time in the polemics...

Ya I kept a small group of enthusiasts going as well, but it was never the same not even close.

Turbine really did miss a gigantic opportunity, of this I've no doubt. And someday some team will pick up where they almost took off.

Yours truly,

Axis

16. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 20, 2012, 23:48 Axis

RailWizard wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 22:45:
Axis wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 20:02:
RailWizard wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 19:44:
Regardless of how you'd like to label it - it caused most everyone to shut it off.

No one gives a shit if you can hit one button and spam Stairway to Heaven at the AH.

Breaking news: You are not most everyone.

Last time I played(couple years ago), people were listening to and playing music all over the place.

I ruined ur mom hurr hurr

Breaking news, you have no idea wtf you're talking about.

I know the YEARS I played beginning in beta proved your statement to be undeniably false except the playing bit, tons of goons hitting their playbutton everywhere, everyone else glad to shut that shit off.

And ya, learning how to play an instrument, which was unheard of in a game, and having a thriving new community shattered with assholes hitting their play button everywhere sure is elitest. But again it's obvious you were no where to be found at the time, and likely not in the following years as you claim.

Maybe you could chime in something other than weak attacks? You seem keep trying to make every post into some personal argument towards me. Pretty soon I'll do the same to you if you keep that shit up.

heh well if it was a game worth money, I would've played at launch. It wasn't, so I played when it went F2P. Not my fault if you have bad taste. See how that works?

As for attacks...these are not, just facts. Of course arguing with someone from the guitar hero generation about "musical things" is probably not wise I'll admit. lol.

Can't say anything is "fact" when you just admitted you had no clue what was going on with the game until it went F2P.

As for your misplaced jibe at guitar hero generation gamers (of which you probably insulted 75% of BN readers), the younger ones we had in our group were the most gung-ho about it.

We had a semi-organized group in beta so large and involved with it that turbine removed all of the posts specifically in the music forum because there was such an uproar against ABC. The music forum was more active prior ABC than ANY forum in the entire turbine community forums.

It was that "guitar hero" generation I felt the most sorry for when assholes (probably like you) would come up and hit their play button while just trying to jam with someone in a remote area. And anyone who might actually enjoy a "real" player now and again usually had it shut off due to said assholes. But of course, it's those non-ABC kids having an opportunity to learn an instrument in a game are elitists, right Rail?

Anyway, missed opportunity lesson for Turbine is over. Maybe you can find more ways to insult yourself and others while trying to take shots at me, seems to be going great for you.

Yours truly,

Axis

15. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 20, 2012, 23:18 NewMaxx

You're both right. Last time I played, there were plenty of people who took the time to playback ABC respectively, while the diehards regretted the change. What I saw was that people in the auction house and public areas would, as Axis suggested, disabled music, to avoid the ABC thrall. Yet I worked with a lot of people who wanted to keep the original dream alive and worked with whatever was available to achieve that goal. I think the spirit of the idea gets lost a lot of the time in the polemics...

14. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 20, 2012, 22:45 RailWizard

Axis wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 20:02:

Last time I played(couple years ago), people were listening to and playing music all over the place.

I know the YEARS I played beginning in beta proved your statement to be undeniably false except the playing bit, tons of goons hitting their playbutton everywhere, everyone else glad to shut that shit off.

And ya, learning how to play an instrument, which was unheard of in a game, and having a thriving new community shattered with assholes hitting their play button everywhere sure is elitest. But again it's obvious you were no where to be found at the time, and likely not in the following years as you claim.

Maybe you could chime in something other than weak attacks? You seem keep trying to make every post into some personal argument towards me. Pretty soon I'll do the same to you if you keep that shit up.

heh well if it was a game worth money, I would've played at launch. It wasn't, so I played when it went F2P. Not my fault if you have bad taste. See how that works?

As for attacks...these are not, just facts. Of course arguing with someone from the guitar hero generation about "musical things" is probably not wise I'll admit. lol.

13. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 20, 2012, 20:02 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

12. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 20, 2012, 19:44 RailWizard

11. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 20, 2012, 19:43 LittleMe

BobBob wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 18:34:
Would like to see a Rise of Nations 2. A great game that just needs a face lift.

This.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

10. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 20, 2012, 18:34 BobBob

Would like to see a Rise of Nations 2. A great game that just needs a face lift.  

9. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 20, 2012, 17:38 {PH}88fingers

Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 13:44:
New Asheron's Call?!?!?!?

One can only Dream !!!! That game still holds a place in my heart as the best MMO ever... I will admit I used the glitch to shoot out Magic faster (but then all the good players were doing it, so I never considered it "cheating") but damn the combat was fun!
A friend and I could go into dungeons or new areas with 4-5 people there and actually still be able to take them down (on DT server - the full pvp server), even if you were outnumbered and substantially lower level... THAT was awesome

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2012, 19:29.

8. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 20, 2012, 17:01 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

7. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 20, 2012, 16:29 RailWizard

Axis wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 16:17:
Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 15:23:
Axis wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 15:17:
I'm surprised LOTRO is still going strong (if it actually is, I'm just guessing). DDO has been their consistent breadwinner.

Why suprised? LOTRO is great! Still some of the prettiest environmental design ever in a game. Riding out of the Misty Mountains into Rivendell at sunset is breautiful. The northern lights of Fornost are glorious to behold at night! The Mines of Moria are amazing in their size and scope. I still haven't touched Isengard but it and Rohan are my list to do one of these days. And minstels can play instruments. It's so cool playing Smoke on the Water on the mandolin.

I LOVED the music system till they implemented ABC.

In beta there was a HUGE lot of folks who were actually learning how to play and doing quite amazing stuff with glovepie, midi, and keymaps - many people were going out buying beginner midi keyboards. The music forum was one of the most active and blistering with excitement, people were clamoring to actually 'learn' something and would turn out in droves when a good musician would play something real-time.

Then they added the automatic MP3 lute player (aka ABC) and halted everything that made it great -- everyone pretty much shuts off the music system - seems few care to hear some copy paste MP3 all over the place, what a shock.

Boo-hoo. More elitest dribble. That's coming from someone that can play real instruments too.

There is nothing stopping people from playing in realtime now, or pre-recording something and playing it back. Of course, they can copy+paste as well. Big whoop.

6. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 20, 2012, 16:17 Axis

Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 15:23:
Axis wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 15:17:
I'm surprised LOTRO is still going strong (if it actually is, I'm just guessing). DDO has been their consistent breadwinner.

Why suprised? LOTRO is great! Still some of the prettiest environmental design ever in a game. Riding out of the Misty Mountains into Rivendell at sunset is breautiful. The northern lights of Fornost are glorious to behold at night! The Mines of Moria are amazing in their size and scope. I still haven't touched Isengard but it and Rohan are my list to do one of these days. And minstels can play instruments. It's so cool playing Smoke on the Water on the mandolin.

I LOVED the music system till they implemented ABC.

In beta there was a HUGE lot of folks who were actually learning how to play and doing quite amazing stuff with glovepie, midi, and keymaps - many people were going out buying beginner midi keyboards. The music forum was one of the most active and blistering with excitement, people were clamoring to actually 'learn' something and would turn out in droves when a good musician would play something real-time.

Then they added the automatic MP3 lute player (aka ABC) and halted everything that made it great -- everyone pretty much shuts off the music system - seems few care to hear some copy paste MP3 all over the place, what a shock.

Yours truly,

Axis

5. Re: Ken Rolston Joins Turbine Oct 20, 2012, 15:56 Beelzebud

Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 13:44:
New Asheron's Call?!?!?!?

I'm still annoyed with how bad they dropped the ball on Asheron's Call 2. AC was/is one of the best MMO's ever. I just can't stand to play it anymore with its 1999 graphics and monthly fee.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo