Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option

Mordor HQ has a quote from DICE senior programmer Mikael Kalms saying the next client patch for Battlefield 3 will include an option to turn off color grading in the military shooter sequel (thanks LittleMe). Here's word:

There will be a console command for disabling the color grading entirely in the game included with the next PC game client update. We believe that turning it off gives no major competitive advantage/disadvantage.

IRNV scope and a few others which turn the image into greyscale or greenscale don't work properly without color grading and will look real ugly.

There will be no in-game UI for turning it on/off.

We are unlikely to handle support questions and bug reports regarding stuff that happens when color grading is disabled.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 21, 2012, 22:23 Dades

Slick wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 19:18:
never gets old. *especially hilarious when they fix stuff, release new kick-ass DLC, or give away DLC for free and then people crucify them, those occasions are particularly delicious*

Last time I checked they charged for the game and all DLC. Patches are not charity, there is a business benefit to fixing your game when you ship it with bugs.

you guys realize that BF3 is arguably the most technically ambitious FPS title ever released in the history of mankind.

You're just talking about the graphics engine. Planetside 2 provides much larger scale battles with higher player counts.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 21, 2012, 19:18 Slick

i love coming to any thread about BF3 in here, it's always the exact same thing.

EA IS THE DEVIL, DICE IS EVIL boo hoo qq cry cry etc.

never gets old. *especially hilarious when they fix stuff, release new kick-ass DLC, or give away DLC for free and then people crucify them, those occasions are particularly delicious*

you guys realize that BF3 is arguably the most technically ambitious FPS title ever released in the history of mankind.

but you're right, screw those guys! those artists, those modelers, those sound techs, they're evil! making the art that we all love and play, they're basically Hitler.

i used to get very upset when i'd read this stuff, but i'm trying to not care anymore, i've been playing BF games since 1942 and it sickens me the way people bash the franchise nowadays especially considering how far they've come, and how much excellence they're delivered. but i have to tell myself to calm down, and not to care, they moved 15 million units with this title, that's more than all other BF games combined. so who the hell cares if a few little snots want to qq for no good reason, just cause it's "cool to hate on EA" lawls.

GOOD FOR YOU DICE! YOU FREAKING ROCK! KEEP MAKING AMAZING FPS GAMES!

16. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 21, 2012, 13:34 deqer

Wow. A console command. How long did it take you to add that to the game? 5 minutes? ...

15. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 21, 2012, 12:44 yonder

007Bistromath wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 01:08:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 20:06:
This is EA, every "feature" that they add after you purchase a product will be half-assed, unless you pay them extra DLC $$ for it.

Thats been their thing for a long while and I certainly won't defend them for the buggy piles of shit they leave most of their games to be.

And if the feature would effectively disable certain scopes and items in the game from working properly, thats probably good enough reason to leave the option out of the menus and require a console command.

Except this isn't an EA problem. This is DICE's guy being a douchecanoe. This is DICE failing to adhere to its own standards of post-release support.

Fully-owned studios = same as publisher. It's like pretending EA had nothing to do with the crap that was DA2 and the ME3 ending. Learn to interpret pre-ownership and post-ownership as different eras in a publisher-owned developer's resume.

14. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 21, 2012, 11:32 Mordecai Walfish

007Bistromath wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 01:08:
This is EA, every "feature" that they add after you purchase a product will be half-assed, unless you pay them extra DLC $$ for it.

Thats been their thing for a long while and I certainly won't defend them for the buggy piles of shit they leave most of their games to be.

And if the feature would effectively disable certain scopes and items in the game from working properly, thats probably good enough reason to leave the option out of the menus and require a console command.

Except this isn't an EA problem. This is DICE's guy being a douchecanoe. This is DICE failing to adhere to its own standards of post-release support. If you like the BF series, you fully expect what you get out of the box to be broken. DICE puts effort into things after they're released, and this iteration of the series hasn't been different in that respect so far. They've ironed out alot of bullshit.

Then there's this, which is a blatant middle finger to anyone that doesn't love their stellar art direction. Fixing the issues with removing this filter would be just as easy as removing the filter itself. But they won't, because screw you, customer.

The "issues" at hand here are all cosmetic though.. it's like expecting the Deus Ex: Human Revolution devs to provide an option to remove the gold color filter because some did not prefer it.. something I just don't see as a huge "issue" for a developer after they have spent years creating the visual style they prefer for their own game.

13. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 21, 2012, 08:35 theyarecomingforyou

It's great that they're adding it as an option but it's pretty ridiculous to bury it as a console command instead of adding it as an option in-game.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

12. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 21, 2012, 01:08 007Bistromath

Except this isn't an EA problem. This is DICE's guy being a douchecanoe. This is DICE failing to adhere to its own standards of post-release support. If you like the BF series, you fully expect what you get out of the box to be broken. DICE puts effort into things after they're released, and this iteration of the series hasn't been different in that respect so far. They've ironed out alot of bullshit.

Then there's this, which is a blatant middle finger to anyone that doesn't love their stellar art direction. Fixing the issues with removing this filter would be just as easy as removing the filter itself. But they won't, because screw you, customer.

11. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 20, 2012, 21:26 Hump

if I want a depressing steel/gray hued world Ill go to the housing project where I grew up.

Give me some nice vivid color in which to kill motherfuckers.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

10. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 20, 2012, 20:06 Mordecai Walfish

007Bistromath wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 16:54:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 16:41:
They added a function to the console to enable it because others were using 3rd party tools to do this, and clearly said before that they were banning the use of that mod because it attained the desired effect in a way that could be similarly used for *actual* exploits to the graphics that could potentially give an unfair edge.

But please go ahead and complain more because they added in a feature that many BF3 players desired & were using 3rd party programs previously to attain.

Is it okay if we bitch that they added it in a half-assed way that clearly shows their contempt?

Dades wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 19:43:
Dice really cares about hackers after all, they've done so much about them in the past.

Dice has the absolute worst track record for cheat prevention/reporting that I can think of in a major multiplayer FPS, I will always agree with that. Taking steps in the right direction.. albeit *very* late in the game, is still better than never.

Hell, they just added the ability to report cheaters through battlelog about a month ago.. and to this day Bad Company 2 (and previous) players have no such system in place. Even when reporting said cheats to EA/Dice, their customers are given the run-around and told to contact Even Balance/Punkbuster personally (I know from going through that fucking 3-ring circus myself). That said.. it's still a good thing that they are addressing this in a more comprehensive manner, even if it is happening almost a year since the game was released.

I just don't believe that adding this feature is a malicious act in any way, as much as I like to believe that EA/Dice are complete evil.

Jesus I'm feeling like I might have to crash nearby church services tomorrow to repent playing devil's advocate for EA

9. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 20, 2012, 19:43 Dades

They added a function to the console to enable it because others were using 3rd party tools to do this, and clearly said before that they were banning the use of that mod because it attained the desired effect in a way that could be similarly used for *actual* exploits to the graphics that could potentially give an unfair edge.

But please go ahead and complain more because they added in a feature that many BF3 players desired & were using 3rd party programs previously to attain.

Dice really cares about hackers after all, they've done so much about them in the past.

8. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 20, 2012, 17:11 xXBatmanXx

hackers/hax win! we give up!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 20, 2012, 16:54 007Bistromath

Is it okay if we bitch that they added it in a half-assed way that clearly shows their contempt?

6. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 20, 2012, 16:41 Mordecai Walfish

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 14:05:
So DICE will bitch, moan and ban players when someone comes out and creates a mod to remove the blue-tint but then they go ahead and make one themselves saying there is no advantage in using it.

Okay.

5. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 20, 2012, 15:36 DangerDog

I've been using BF3 color tweaker, not been kicked or banned.

http://www.realmware.co.uk/2012/10/bf3-colour-tweaker-1-2-released/

you can adjust per map basis and a bunch of other stuff, DICE still doesn't get it.

4. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 20, 2012, 15:15 fawker

They will probably only enable the option with a 3.99 DLC unlock...

I'm sure someone over at that palace of greed considered it.

Pushing out patches only with DLC is as close to paid patches as you can get.

3. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 20, 2012, 14:21 Cyant

They will probably only enable the option with a 3.99 DLC unlock...  

2. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 20, 2012, 14:05 Wallshadows

So DICE will bitch, moan and ban players when someone comes out and creates a mod to remove the blue-tint but then they go ahead and make one themselves saying there is no advantage in using it.

Okay.

1. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 20, 2012, 13:45 Dades

Also known as pointless blue filter for consoles.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo