Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Metaverse

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 21, 2012, 20:35 Prez

DG wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 09:06:
You guys do realise that google news displays the headline and the first sentence or two, so that if you want to read anything you need to go to the newspaper's website? https://www.google.com/news

The ANJ sees Google making money and they see a possibility of taking a cut of it by utilising monopoly power.

Yeah, that's about it. Like I said, there's no good guy or bad guy here, just two businesses trying to act in their own best interest.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 21, 2012, 14:46 JohnnyRotten

DG wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 09:06:
You guys do realise that google news displays the headline and the first sentence or two, so that if you want to read anything you need to go to the newspaper's website? https://www.google.com/news

The ANJ sees Google making money and they see a possibility of taking a cut of it by utilising monopoly power.

Yahtzee.

Google is giving them free exposure and is not scraping the entire article, just the first few lines. This in essence is *free* product advertising for the publishers. However, they never see it this way, and this is the standard "shoot ourselves in the foot" reaction.

This reaction has happened before, and the end result is that the publishers always come crawling back to google after seeing their traffic drop to near zero.

9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 21, 2012, 09:06 DG

8. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 20, 2012, 22:18 Mr. Tact

The fact that anyone (including Google) makes money from Internet advertising continues to astound me. The capacity of the general public to act like sheep is apparently unending.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

7. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 20, 2012, 21:12 TurdFergasun

Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 14:54:
Poor analogy because these are stories focused on a commercial product whereas newspapers run the gamut of reporting things that have nothing to do with commerce.

you're saying most corporate/most major outlet sourced news isn't designed to proliferate commerce in one form or another? much of it imo is designed to be consumed in a controlled manner not possible within an aggregating system.

6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 20, 2012, 20:43 Prez

I don't see anything wrong with how Google News works or with the Brazilian news outfits deciding to back out. Everybody needs to do what they feel is in their own best interest. Time will tell who was right (will Brazil's tabloids start making more money or losing it?).  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 20, 2012, 18:37 eRe4s3r

And this has what to do exactly with this absurd notion that headlines are property of newspapers? Just imagine if the sites blues linked to would demand money for the headline use. You would say that that is absolutely absurd, so I don't get where and why you set this double standard. To me, news are common property, they are not owned by ANYONE.  

4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 20, 2012, 16:00 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 14:05:
Good for Brazil!

ANJ’s recommendation was followed by all of the 154 newspapers that belong to the organization and account for more than 90 percent of the country’s newspaper circulation. Google argues the company doesn't need to pay for the rights to use headlines because Google News benefits newspapers by redirecting large volumes of user traffic to their websites.

Yeah, and someone skimming an article for free makes the paper money how. Jesus, that's like saying because I give my mechanic a good reference to people looking for one that he should work on my car for free. Hope this is the start of reigning Google in.

Agreed, Google's just as bad as MS or Apple at this point.

3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 20, 2012, 14:54 Cutter

Poor analogy because these are stories focused on a commercial product whereas newspapers run the gamut of reporting things that have nothing to do with commerce.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 20, 2012, 14:29 eRe4s3r

That is an incredible short sighted view. People who use google news are not gonna stop using google news but they will stop reading news from these 90% of newspapers. Which means the 10% remaining will have more readers, more ad revenue, and more revenue altogether. While the other 90% become irrelevant because unfindable on the web.

If your goal is to die (as a company) you unlist yourself from google ;p The proper analogy by the way is that the car mechanic forbids you to recommend, reference and mention his work online. Because you gotta realize what bullshit this really is, they want you to pay for mentioning the HEADLINE of a news piece even if you just link to them with a short summary. Google news is a news aggregator, like bluesnews. So just imagine review sites would enforce such a policy, or tech sites.

1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 20, 2012, 14:05 Cutter

Good for Brazil!

ANJ’s recommendation was followed by all of the 154 newspapers that belong to the organization and account for more than 90 percent of the country’s newspaper circulation. Google argues the company doesn't need to pay for the rights to use headlines because Google News benefits newspapers by redirecting large volumes of user traffic to their websites.

Yeah, and someone skimming an article for free makes the paper money how. Jesus, that's like saying because I give my mechanic a good reference to people looking for one that he should work on my car for free. Hope this is the start of reigning Google in.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo