Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter

This Kickstarter is for Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption, described as "a turn-based RPG with adventure game puzzles and immersive story, by the award-winning designers of Quest for Glory." They are shooting for a Fall 2013 release, and have so far raised about $50K of a $400K goal. There's a preview of this on Kotaku (thanks nin), and here's word:

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption is a classic 2D RPG by award-winning game designers Corey and Lori Cole (Quest for Glory, Castle of Dr. Brain, and more). In our genre-bending style, Hero-U combines classic RPG skills and combat with the rich character relationships of Persona, and the story and puzzles of Quest for Glory in a single challenging game experience.

• A classic role-playing game with exploration, combat, and skills
  • Tactical combat that is much more than "hack and slash"
  • A rich story that changes based on the way you play
  • Characters with unique personalities and their own agendas
  • Adventure-style puzzles that are an integral part of the story

There is danger and intrigue within the hallowed halls of Hero-U. Danger? Ha! Rogues laugh in the face... well, actually, they sneak up behind danger and bop it in the head, then run really, really fast. You can be that Rogue!

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 21, 2012, 07:19 Quinn

King's Quest, Hero's Quest and Quest for Glory were the #1 games in my past that could create that perfect, euphoric bubble. (Do) we all know what I'm talking about(?). That.. sanctuary from reality -- the reason I honestly play games. It's not that I hate RL. I love it. But without a chance to escape it a few hours a week.. unhealthy stress about X would take me.

Can't wait for this kickstarted game!

Invested!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 20, 2012, 21:00 Alamar

Hero's Quest is probably my fav Sierra game from back in the day... Though I ended up buying a ton...

-Alamar

16. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 20, 2012, 15:15 Axis

Silicon Avatar wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 11:55:
Saying "anime manga" style is like saying "western art" style. It's too broad to have any meaning.

Maybe to the discerning eye'd artist....

But to the average consumer, we see gigantic spiky hair, little girl frames with gargantuan breasts, little man frames with gargantuan penis's OOOOOPS I mean weapons, and lots of HIE EIIIIEE CHIII sounds in an unbelievably high pitch.

Then the RPG itself consists of 14 billion lines of unskippable dialog mostly consisting of small talk and HEE HEE's in that same high pitch before you even battle your first monster.

So what I described, I prefer less of that.

Yours truly,

Axis

15. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 20, 2012, 11:55 Silicon Avatar

Saying "anime manga" style is like saying "western art" style. It's too broad to have any meaning.

14. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 20, 2012, 10:46 Axis

I prefer this art style to all that overdone anime manga crap.

Sure 15 years ago it was cool that young westerners got overdosed with it (those of you who didn't grow up with Speed Racer int he 70s), but man it's been so sickeningly overdone (esp in RPG's) I'll take anything else.

Yours truly,

Axis

13. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 20, 2012, 09:58 Efflixi

I love QFG, but not this art style. Pass.  

12. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 20, 2012, 06:29 Fibrocyte

The very first FAQ entry at the bottom of the page:

I see several different art styles in the video and project page. What will this game actually look like?
Hero-U will be a top-down, 2D, tiled game. The overhead view you can see for a few seconds in the video represents the perspective, but *not* the look of the final art. It is a first concept drawing. Key game scenes will also be represented by full painted backgrounds such as you see in the video and in the project description. Conversations and combat will use large animated characters on each side of the screen. We are using this approach because it will let us include the best story and game play, while staying within our budget limitations. If we meet stretch goals, we will increase the art budget and have more painted background scenes as well as more tile variations.

11. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 20, 2012, 05:44 Julio

Pass, hate that kind of graphic style, I thought we finally got by that after the 1980s.  

10. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 20, 2012, 04:11 Reckless

Hero-U plays like a classic RPG, with turn-based tactical combat and exploration of the environment on top-down, 2D maps. There are traps, obstacles, and enemies for you to overcome as you explore the school and the ancient catacombs beneath it. Key scenes feature beautiful painted backdrops to let you see from Shawn's perspective.

From the Kickstarter page, seems pretty obvious to me what they're saying!

Certainly not quite what most will be expecting I'm sure.

9. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 20, 2012, 03:10 John

Kitkoan wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 00:34:
Is this what in game is supposed to look like? I'm expecting more like this to be my background and indication of art style.
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too. They're never clear about how it will look and they show images of both in the video too.

This space is available for rent

8. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 20, 2012, 00:34 Kitkoan

Tumbler wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 19:57:
I'm confused, is the 2d overhead ugly looking game is that what we should expect? what are the Kings quest looking Screenshots about?

This, completely this.

Is this what in game is supposed to look like? I'm expecting more like this to be my background and indication of art style.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

7. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 22:48 Dev

A faithful fan remake of QfG2 was done recently, VGA and talkie if I remember correctly.
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/homepage/homepage.html

If anyone wants to see the style of gameplay in a slightly more updated format (graphically anyway)

6. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 21:03 Cutter

Tumbler wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 19:57:
I'm confused, is the 2d overhead ugly looking game is that what we should expect? what are the Kings quest looking Screenshots about?

Yeah, nevermind my shots at Notch's game the other day about 1985 wanting their graphics back. This is 1980 wanting their graphics back. 400k for what?! Story? Write a book, it's a lot cheaper.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

5. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 19:57 Tumbler

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

4. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 19:37 Cutter

Love the concept. Art style? Enh, not so much. I sincerely hope they make their funding but I'll be waiting on this.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

3. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 19:36 1badmf

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 19:28:
*coughs Hero's Quest coughs*

copyright infringement! on an obscure but innovative board game!

2. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 19:28 The Half Elf

*coughs Hero's Quest coughs*  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

1. Re: Quest for Glory Creators' New Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 19:19 Saboth

Quest for Glory is probably my favorite series of all time. I might have to check into this.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo