Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy

"Consumers won’t pay for crap." Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello on social gaming. Thanks Joao.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 21, 2012, 05:44 netnerd85

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 00:37:
UnfortuNaty he's completely and unequivocally wrong. We've been buying EA games for years.
Why buy the product if it's "crap"?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 21, 2012, 00:37 ^Drag0n^

UnfortuNaty he's completely and unequivocally wrong. We've been buying EA games for years.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

26. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 20, 2012, 20:31 Jivaro

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 17:31:
If I wouldn't already know that the world is full of tards and morons I wouldn't believe my own eyes looking at this thread where a couple dozen dumbfuck tards of the highest order comment in their dumbfuck retarded way on a quote that has so blatantly been ripped out of context that even the blindest of all moles would see it.

Seriously. This is a new all time low, even for you guys. Well. Gratz, I guess... :o

Can you elaborate? I read the article a second time now....and then googled a similar article over at Venture Beat. I didn't misunderstand it the first time, and his quote sounds just as ridiculous in the context he was using it in as it does standing on it's own.

What exactly did we get wrong? Or more precisely, who specifically are you referring to? I am not seeing how the context, even if someone here did just give a knee jerk reaction to the quote out of context, would change anything in this particular case. People are reacting to the source of the quote. Had it been the CEO of Zynga, Ubisoft, Activision, or a handful of other crap producing publishers the reaction would be the same...in context or not. It of course drifted outside of social gaming and more focused on EA and it's business practices in general, regardless of gaming genre or type. Is that somehow a bad thing?

Edit: And to make sure we are on the same page...I read the context to be his commentary on social gaming and it's "overblown" rise and it's similarly "overblown" decline...in his opinion.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2012, 20:39.

25. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 20, 2012, 17:31 CJ_Parker

If I wouldn't already know that the world is full of tards and morons I wouldn't believe my own eyes looking at this thread where a couple dozen dumbfuck tards of the highest order comment in their dumbfuck retarded way on a quote that has so blatantly been ripped out of context that even the blindest of all moles would see it.

Seriously. This is a new all time low, even for you guys. Well. Gratz, I guess...

24. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 20, 2012, 08:50 Lit_Reflex001

Dude COD is the same thing as these stupid sports titles they keep rehashing every year. It's the same old crap!

I am personally sick and tired of this old game engine they keep using. The graphics aren't very good for this day and age.

It's the same thing as the content they put on it!

EDIT: Why back in my day, most new titles came with brand new technology! God dammit!

SECOND EDIT: And for the record, improvement with the same hardware IS possible! Just look at Halo 2 and the new Mortal Kombat!

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2012, 14:52.

23. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 20, 2012, 06:37 netnerd85

Julio wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 05:46:
If he knows that, why does he keep selling it?
Better question, why does it keep selling if it is indeed "crap"?

22. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 20, 2012, 05:46 Julio

If he knows that, why does he keep selling it?  

21. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 20, 2012, 03:33 netnerd85

What's the issue? He is 100% correct.  

20. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 20, 2012, 02:07 Cutter

ViRGE wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 23:20:
Cutter wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 20:15:
I'd say that major publishers like EA, Activision, etc. are living proof that consumers will pay for crap.
I disagree to an extent. Compared to Zynga those companies may as well be saints. Which in a way was EA's point; consumers won't pay for Zynga-level crap (at least not in the long-term). EA is hoping to stay just far enough above Zynga in quality that consumers will pay, and if Zynga is crap (and it is) then EA's stuff has to be at least somewhat less crappy.

Well shit, comparing yourself to the lowest rung on the ladder means you haev nowhere to go but up. Not like EA hasn't ever produced good stuff, however, most of it is just schlock that's a step above shovelware. Especially when you look at their budgets. American Idol and all those shitty shows like them are immensely popular, but since when does popular mean good?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

19. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 20, 2012, 00:46 Lit_Reflex001

HEY WHO WANTS TO PLAY SOME CALL OF DUTY???  

18. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 20, 2012, 00:39 Kitkoan

EA in a Nutshell  

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

17. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 19, 2012, 23:50 Acleacius

ea shovels and millions eat.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

16. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 19, 2012, 23:49 Jivaro

ViRGE wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 23:20:
I'd say that major publishers like EA, Activision, etc. are living proof that consumers will pay for crap.
I disagree to an extent. Compared to Zynga those companies may as well be saints. Which in a way was EA's point; consumers won't pay for Zynga-level crap (at least not in the long-term). EA is hoping to stay just far enough above Zynga in quality that consumers will pay, and if Zynga is crap (and it is) then EA's stuff has to be at least somewhat less crappy.

I suppose, but just because EA can point at Zynga and say "that is crap" doesn't mean EA isn't making crap. Chefville being an absolutely horrible piece of shit does not make Dragon Age 2 "not crap". The Cleveland Browns are 1-5, making them a crap team in the NFL. The Dallas Cowboys are 2-3...and also crap. Yes, they can point at Cleveland and say "dude, you guys are worse then us"...but that doesn't make the Cowboys not suck.

I don't know, maybe it is just me, but I find this quote coming from this guy to be humorous if not ironic. EA has been buying up successful franchises and driving them in to the dirt for so long now....milking them until everybody finally catches on to how bad the games have become that their devotion to the franchise name is trumped...that I honestly don't see how he can say this with a straight face.

Here is a little example: Dragon Age: Origins, universally considered to be a quality game. Some liked it more then others, but I rarely hear of a person that says it sucked. Dragon Age 2 on the other hand is universally panned. Even those that say they enjoyed it a bit admit that it had a large amount of disappointments and lazy design flaws. Here is the thing though, for every one person that will not buy Dragon Age 3 because of DA2 there are 10 that will choose to believe that EA and Bioware have learned their lesson and make a better game. Totally made up statistic, but I think you get my meaning. I mean, using Activision as an example, I hear people bitch about Call of Duty every damn year and those same people go buy the next one Day One. The customer, out of franchise and brand loyalty, will buy crap. When they stop, EA will simply dump the franchise and find another one to milk. This has been EA's primary mission goal for so long I can't remember when it wasn't. They are literally banking on people buying not just crap...but the same crap they already put out there!

15. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 19, 2012, 23:20 ViRGE

14. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 19, 2012, 22:44 Dev

EA's very EXISTENCE proves otherwise.  

13. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 19, 2012, 22:39 Creston

I picture him sounding all bitter when he says it, with a slight pouty face. "Consumers won't pay for crap! What are we supposed to do? Make good games??"

Fuck Riciieeooteoetleltelo.

Creston

12. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 19, 2012, 22:37 Dades

Call of Duty.

The Sims.

Yearly sports iterations.

Consumers will pay for crap.

11. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 19, 2012, 21:36 Prez

"Consumers won’t pay for crap."

Pandering nonsense. Of course they will. How does he think he company is still in business?

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

10. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 19, 2012, 21:04 Cutter

MajorD wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 20:28:
J wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 19:55:

It's like silk, or poetry, or silky poetry

Upon reading your post, I couldn't help but think of this movie quote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5tx3sJrlQ4

I can't imagine that wiping one's ass with silk would really be that effective, regardless of how nice it feels.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

9. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 19, 2012, 20:47 ASeven

I laughed. I cried. I laughed again.  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo