Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide 2 Next Month

The PlanetSide 2 Website reveals that November 20th is the launch date for PlanetSide 2, SOE's MMO first-person shooter sequel:

Grunts, the war is coming. Prepare yourselves now for epic combat on a massive scale like you have never seen before. PlanetSide 2 launches November 20th!

If you weren't watching our livestream from SOE Live in Las Vegas, you definitely missed out on this and more exciting PlanetSide 2 news. Beyond PlanetSide 2 launching in November, the team also informed us that the battle for Auraxis will soon expand to a third continent, dark, swamp-infested Amerish, following from rocky Indar and arctic Esamir. But we canít have you running around without solid intel, so letís get you fully briefed on whatís happening.

The most important thing to know is an official launch date has now been announced, so this is not a drill. On November 20th, PlanetSide 2 will officially launch completely free to play for everyone. This means no more closed Beta, character wipes, and any of the other fun stuff associated with testing. No more do overs. Live ammunition will be issued, and you have authorization to go weapons free. Your empireís future depends on you.

Gather your squads, your platoons, and your outfits. You will need to hone your skills, certifications, and equipment to a finer edge than your combat knife. Choose your empire now and swear your allegiance while you can. If you wish it, you will need to join the Alpha Squad very shortly, or forgo the honor forever. You will need to master your ground vehicles, your aircraft, and your infantry classes. You will need to study your battlefield and know it whether blind or bleeding, day or night. Indar. Esamir. Amerish. This is your home now grunt.

When the warpgates open, when the drop pods fly, when the first shots break the silence, remember this. There is no turning back. Remember your training and you will survive. This is it. This is war.

This is PlanetSide 2.

For continuing news coverage and to continue your preparations, please join us on our Twitch.tv channel to see what youíve missed, and weíll see you on Auraxis on November 20th!

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

17. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 12:34 vrok

Really? Next month? From playing the beta I would've guessed it was at least 4-6 months away. I guess getting suckers to spend money on your F2P game while it's still pretty much in beta is cool though.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 12:17 Ozmodan

Mistake by SOE, this game is not ready yet, too many broken things, the framerate is not good even with a good card and the more you get in a fight the worse it gets.  

15. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 12:11 Smellfinger

MMOFPS has never been an appealing concept to me. Once you get more than a couple dozen people shooting at each other in a FPS, it turns into a cluserfuck where individual skill takes a backseat to spray-and-pray.  

14. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 11:54 Verno

PHJF wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 11:24:
I had framerate issues on my GTX460 but I didn't really get too into tweaking things. Suffice it to say the game did NOT run like butter even after I'd turned things down to the point that the game looked pretty bad (well maybe not bad but far from screenshot worthy).

I had some framerate issues on a Geforce 670 and running very conservative settings, I think the game is just poorly optimized at the moment. What really bugged me though was the floatiness that occurs when there is the slightest bit of latency.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

13. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 11:51 Axis

Game felt pretty underwhelming for many reasons, still playing Ascend here.  

Yours truly,

Axis

12. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 11:45 Lokust

I haven't fired up the beta in quite a while, but I was disappointed when I did. The cert system was confusing, bases were annoying to figure out how to navigate, and the shooter combat felt less fun than the original planetside. Has it gotten any better in the last month or so?  

11. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 11:39 NKD

sauron wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 11:08:
If I want big PvP firefights I'll probably just try WvWvW in GW2.

Not even close to the same thing.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

10. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 11:28 spindoctor

InBlack wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 10:47:
Its a population problem spindoctor, I really had epic 'holy shit its a huge war' moments in the beta but those were few and far between. Since the population of the servers were rather low at all times they were up.

Well that's encouraging.

Did you get a chance to study their monetization system? Is it fair or not?

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 11:24 PHJF

I had framerate issues on my GTX460 but I didn't really get too into tweaking things. Suffice it to say the game did NOT run like butter even after I'd turned things down to the point that the game looked pretty bad (well maybe not bad but far from screenshot worthy).  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 11:08 sauron

I can't really see myself playing this, although it does look intriguing. If I want big PvP firefights I'll probably just try WvWvW in GW2.  

Kittens!

7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 10:55 Verno

This kind of fell in at about the same time as many other games landed so I only ever played for a few hours. It felt really rough around the edges but that was an early beta so I can't fault it. The shooting mechanics didn't feel vastly improved which was a big disappointment. It will be F2P so I suspect the population will be pretty good though, I didn't see many concentrated battles but that's to be expected since the beta release timing was awful.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

6. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 10:47 InBlack

Its a population problem spindoctor, I really had epic 'holy shit its a huge war' moments in the beta but those were few and far between. Since the population of the servers were rather low at all times they were up.

I havent seen that in any game before, so Im excited that the game is going live as its a rather bland shooter without a shitload of players duking it out at the same time. (Never played PS1)

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 10:46 J

I find I get more "memorable moments" when I play the original Planetside (even recently) than I do with Planetside 2. I find Planetside 2 easily forgettable.

I'm not entirely sure why, but I think the lack of inter-player communication and the blandness of the cert upgrades may factor in. I think because there's so many more upgrades that they cannot be as distinctive, but then I found even on the week with the faster certifications that I didn't appreciate them nearly as much as I did with the original Planetside certifications.

Honestly, I don't think this is Planetside. I think it's Battlefield. I had a quick watch of a Battlefield video once on YouTube and instead of thinking "Hey, that looks like Planetside" I thought "That's where Planetside draws its inspiration from."

I believe Planetside has lost what made it Planetside; its character. Having said that, I try to be fair, so I'll be checking up on it periodically.

Edit: I didn't experience any slowdowns, even when running a Minecraft server in the background. And I have a GTX260, quad core, 5 gigs of ram. Admittedly, however, I did have slowdown with 3 gigs of ram.

4. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 10:45 Cutter

PHJF wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 10:32:
Whole thing felt off to me. Like the first one, everything is laggy/floaty. The scale of it all is rather pointless when everything else suffers for it.

Agreed. Maps are way too big. Absurdley so. And it's an absolute pig to run. Anytime I get into even a semi-major firefight my PC starts chugging along and I end up getting killed. I don't know if I just need a new vid card or the game is just still a real pig at this point. I was really amped for this, now, not so much.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 10:40 spindoctor

I only played the beta for a while so I might be off base here, but for some reason I was unable to see the massive scale of the game. Sure, you have a huge persistent map but there are only a few 'flashpoints' as such at any given time. And once you reach one of those flashpoints, it's basically just another standard FPS map with a few control points or something that the different teams fight for. I don't think I saw any real battles greater than 20v20 or so. Nowhere close to the "100s of people fighting battles" that Planetside promises. Maybe populations were low because it was beta, but I don't know... the design of game never felt like it was pushing towards a battle that big. Guild Wars 2 WvW fights seem more hectic than that, probably because of the smaller map.

Can someone tell me what I was missing there? Or is the game really about 50 people at a time fighting for control of various points and never really becomes massive fights of hundreds of people fighting each other?

Still, I'm looking forward to the release. They've already confirmed it's coming to Steam as well, hopefully on the same date.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2012, 10:59.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

2. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 10:32 PHJF

Whole thing felt off to me. Like the first one, everything is laggy/floaty. The scale of it all is rather pointless when everything else suffers for it.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

1. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 10:24 InBlack

Ive been playing the beta on and off for the past month or so. Its pretty solid but the main thing thats missing is a stable and large server population. Once this goes live Im sure the servers will be filling up, so looking forward to this one quite a bit.  

I have a nifty blue line!

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo