Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide 2 Next Month

The PlanetSide 2 Website reveals that November 20th is the launch date for PlanetSide 2, SOE's MMO first-person shooter sequel:

Grunts, the war is coming. Prepare yourselves now for epic combat on a massive scale like you have never seen before. PlanetSide 2 launches November 20th!

If you weren't watching our livestream from SOE Live in Las Vegas, you definitely missed out on this and more exciting PlanetSide 2 news. Beyond PlanetSide 2 launching in November, the team also informed us that the battle for Auraxis will soon expand to a third continent, dark, swamp-infested Amerish, following from rocky Indar and arctic Esamir. But we can’t have you running around without solid intel, so let’s get you fully briefed on what’s happening.

The most important thing to know is an official launch date has now been announced, so this is not a drill. On November 20th, PlanetSide 2 will officially launch completely free to play for everyone. This means no more closed Beta, character wipes, and any of the other fun stuff associated with testing. No more do overs. Live ammunition will be issued, and you have authorization to go weapons free. Your empire’s future depends on you.

Gather your squads, your platoons, and your outfits. You will need to hone your skills, certifications, and equipment to a finer edge than your combat knife. Choose your empire now and swear your allegiance while you can. If you wish it, you will need to join the Alpha Squad very shortly, or forgo the honor forever. You will need to master your ground vehicles, your aircraft, and your infantry classes. You will need to study your battlefield and know it whether blind or bleeding, day or night. Indar. Esamir. Amerish. This is your home now grunt.

When the warpgates open, when the drop pods fly, when the first shots break the silence, remember this. There is no turning back. Remember your training and you will survive. This is it. This is war.

This is PlanetSide 2.

For continuing news coverage and to continue your preparations, please join us on our Twitch.tv channel to see what you’ve missed, and we’ll see you on Auraxis on November 20th!

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. removed Nov 4, 2012, 21:02 charlieswansea

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 5, 2012, 01:46.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 24, 2012, 13:40 Verno

Hump wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 14:59:
to the rest of you guys who can't hack the changes or the learning curve, by all means, go back to team deathmatch and all its tired variations. Just dont bitch when you complain that theres nothing new being done with the FPS genre.

I don't think you give people enough credit. The learning curve isn't really anything special and I don't mind the changes from the first to the second game. If anything, I was expecting more of an evolution. The FPS mechanics just don't feel right to me, I'm not sure if its a netcode or feedback thing but they just feel off. That even extends to vehicle combat to some extent as well. I think more than anything else that's what is hampering my enjoyment of the game. I like the core concepts but it just feels really rough which is fine because hey beta but the game is launching probably way too soon.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

35. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 20, 2012, 22:24 ColoradoHoudini

I can't describe it either.. but the game felt off to me as well. I played a fair bit of the beta, and I just really wasn't as thrilled with the game as I would've hoped.

Also felt like no matter where I went, it there were enemy vehicles galore. Really felt like it was a vehicle battle more than I'd prefer. --someone in the game said that the vehicle count was purposely LOW in the beta?? Ugh.

34. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 20, 2012, 14:59 Hump

LittleMe wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 18:29:
I've played the beta for a while and I agree with all the naysayers here. The world is way too big and bases swapping gets old, or whichever team has more players tends to start advancing. Maybe with more full servers the fun factor will improve. Yes it has a huge potential to be a great game, but it isn't right now. But since it's F2p, so do give it a try. It has its moments and they can be great.

If you only knew or had played the original you wouldnt be saying that. The battles we had were epic. To this day there is no shooter, MMO or otherwise, that can approach what that game did except for PS2. On Sundays a full server occupied with chain-of-command from the top strategists on down to armored division commanders, air cav, infantry etc. You would take away stories of memorable battles (many can be seen on YT) The community was great because you were part of something larger instead of just shooting as many people as possible to get your next bright shiny toy. it was much more satisfying.

the first game allowed for 600 people per server (200 per empire). PS2 is going for 3k (1000 per empire). It will be staggering. The game also has a somewhat steep learning curve for an FPS. So when you grasping what the bases do, what benefit they are to your empires abilities, certification points, implants, weapon attachments etc the sense of accomplishment is much sweeter.

to the rest of you guys who can't hack the changes or the learning curve, by all means, go back to team deathmatch and all its tired variations. Just dont bitch when you complain that theres nothing new being done with the FPS genre.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

33. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 20, 2012, 11:26 [VG]Reagle

Planetside 2 is looking to be a tremendous game for clans and outfits to play. Its in a real beta so stop whining about bugs.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2012, 12:34.

I am much better now.

32. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 20, 2012, 10:46 Overon

The patching process over the months has been one where they fix certain bugs and introduce new ones which they hotfix. Right now there is some really irritating bugs like the turret secondary turrets on vechicles and fixed turrets on installations sensitivity is super high makes it really hard to aim. Also the medic healing device does not work half the time. But I'm sure that obvious bugs like these will be ironed out.  

31. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 22:02 Rea1One

Soo many bugs still in the beta and it wont be 100% ready on launch  

30. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 21:43 Closed Betas

Horrible news, when I first joined beta, I was having tons of fun... They have stripped all the fun from this game, and they can't find a medium in any design goal they attempt.... Smedley said this game will launch when its AWESOME, and right now, its the biggest joke on the net, I don't even boot it up anymore. They can't even get the aux resources working so they just scrapped em. I'm calling flop and quick bailout here... The forums have 90% hate control. The game is being so ruined by the need for them to cash on the unlocks. They are probably milking the name and running as fast they can to the bank after realizing they can't balance nothing, and adding cash shop means even more problems. This game has become one of the dumbest fish int he barrel shooters I have ever seen, with things to fool you that's true. The vehicle combat is pointless, while is vehicle spammy now due to total coverup of all the complaints, once real play begins, you'll see there is better alternatives to worthless vehicles not even needed.

Forgot to mention its nothing like Planetside... Just a zone control game that has no meaning, ironically just like 85% of the toys.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2012, 22:18.

29. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 20:36 [VG]Reagle

No idea what they are talking about. The hit detection is dead on and the network prediction is no problem. Gigantic battles have been the norm. Planetside 2 is awesome and I cant wait to play tonight!

Some wussies who get owned all the time by the 666th http://www.planetside-devildogs.com/phpBB3 seem to be crying below. Too bad they sux ass.

I am much better now.

28. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 20:12 Nate

I'm in the beta. The 2nd map has fewer bases and more open land so the battle are bigger and last longer. I'm curious about how the 3rd map will play.

If you like the Battlefield games, I'd think you will like PS2.

As far as releasing too soon? Of course they are going to release before Christmas. My only worry would be that the client will still produce poor FPS even on a good PC. But they said fixing this is their top priority. So...

27. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 19:00 1badmf

was in a battle with 30 tanks on my 2500k/radeon 6950 with no slowdown. dunno how that compares to latest gen hardware but i'm certain that's not bleeding edge anymore. population issues are almost certainly an effect of closed beta so no point complaining about it.  

26. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 18:29 LittleMe

I've played the beta for a while and I agree with all the naysayers here. The world is way too big and bases swapping gets old, or whichever team has more players tends to start advancing. Maybe with more full servers the fun factor will improve. Yes it has a huge potential to be a great game, but it isn't right now. But since it's F2p, so do give it a try. It has its moments and they can be great.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

25. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 15:35 Steele Johnson

NicklePop wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 12:47:
I couldn't disagree more with the majority of responses here. I've put in well over 100 hours into the game.

There are absolutely massive battles going on, at LEAST 200 v 200 in a a small area. Now that the Sunderer is essentially an AMS (spawn point) people are parking them right outside bases and the team flows in at a massive rate.

Shooting mechanics are vastly superior to PS1, almost on par with BF3.

Certs are a little dicey yet, and draw too much from BF3. Also the fun little things about PS1 like nanite runs and other support related tasks are missing (thank the 'new' moron gamer).

Squads/outfits/platoons have voice chat in game, very nice.

So in summary, what this game needs is a bit more PS1 meta game and some more interesting and distinctive certs, and will be legendary.

^ this will probably happen.

So ... why they are releasing now? Not sure, but I hope it doesn't hurt the game, because it's going to be fantastic in 6 months.

I agree with this. I'm not sure what you other guys have been playing. Just the other night I was in a massive battle as soon as I logged in and it was incredibly fun! There's so many ways you can help your faction take control... it keeps everything really interesting!

I hope that the people who have never played it and are still on the fence don't base their decision on the naysayers. This game has the potential to be one of the most memorable games in the past 10 years. I do agree about the certs; a minor detail to fix. And I think they can still tweak armor/firepower, but those are the kind of things that always require adjustments out of the gate. Can't wait for this to go live!!

24. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 19, 2012, 14:23 HorrorScope

Gadzooks wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 13:38:
Its being rushed to release. Like most titles with big names behind them (ie: Sony in this case)

A shame too, because its going to get the game a bad first impression from a lot of people, which will ultimately hurt how it does overall.

Then, months down the road, when it finally polishes itself up, there wont be very many people playing, which will lead to the same thing that happened with the first game.

Its only saving grace here is that its F2P, so people dont have to make an investment to give it a try, even a year from now. Lets hope that is enough, because the game really is fun, especially when played with team members who cooperate.

^All of that.

23. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 13:38 Gadzooks

Its being rushed to release. Like most titles with big names behind them (ie: Sony in this case)

A shame too, because its going to get the game a bad first impression from a lot of people, which will ultimately hurt how it does overall.

Then, months down the road, when it finally polishes itself up, there wont be very many people playing, which will lead to the same thing that happened with the first game.

Its only saving grace here is that its F2P, so people dont have to make an investment to give it a try, even a year from now. Lets hope that is enough, because the game really is fun, especially when played with team members who cooperate.

22. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 13:37 NKD

Smellfinger wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 12:11:
it turns into a cluserfuck where individual skill takes a backseat to spray-and-pray.

Well this isn't a game about individual skill to begin with. Win or lose is decided not in how well your empire can aim, but in how well they can organize.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

21. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 19, 2012, 13:33 HorrorScope

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 12:17:
Mistake by SOE, this game is not ready yet, too many broken things, the framerate is not good even with a good card and the more you get in a fight the worse it gets.

The mid-nov through eoy is always a buyer beware time, rush for you know what. IMO the most buggy games come out then. Just sayin...

20. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 13:31 Axis

I do agree with you nicklepop on the shooting mechanics, PS2 certainly feels more viable. PS1 was fun but I couldn't take it seriously at all due to how horrible the hit code was (coming from a Quake background).

Yours truly,

Axis

19. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 12:59 dardin

I lost interest in this game after about a month of playing the Beta. The game play is decent enough, however I envisioned epic big battles that lasted for hours or days. What I got was big battles that lasted only minutes. The game quickly became where you are just swapping bases non-stop with the opposing factions.

On a positive note it will be F2P so at least no one will feel ripped off by checking it out and seeing if its for them.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2012, 13:06.

18. Re: PlanetSide 2 Next Month Oct 19, 2012, 12:47 NicklePop

I couldn't disagree more with the majority of responses here. I've put in well over 100 hours into the game.

There are absolutely massive battles going on, at LEAST 200 v 200 in a a small area. Now that the Sunderer is essentially an AMS (spawn point) people are parking them right outside bases and the team flows in at a massive rate.

Shooting mechanics are vastly superior to PS1, almost on par with BF3.

Certs are a little dicey yet, and draw too much from BF3. Also the fun little things about PS1 like nanite runs and other support related tasks are missing (thank the 'new' moron gamer).

Squads/outfits/platoons have voice chat in game, very nice.

So in summary, what this game needs is a bit more PS1 meta game and some more interesting and distinctive certs, and will be legendary.

^ this will probably happen.

So ... why they are releasing now? Not sure, but I hope it doesn't hurt the game, because it's going to be fantastic in 6 months.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo