Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 20, 2012, 12:21 eRe4s3r

ISP's would be suicidal if they canned their best customers over copyright violations. who else but pirates buy endless subscriptions to flatrates and high speed connections?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2012, 19:56 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 11:03:
Lesser also suggests that "nothing happens" after you reach the maximum six strikes:

"If you continue to engage in copyright infringement, you're not going to continue to get alerts," she said. "In our mind, we're going to target consumers that respond to these alerts. The alerts stop after that last level and nothing else happens under the program."

I'm laughing my ass off...

The reality is that they can't stop the machine.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2012, 16:53 Mordecai Walfish

It seems obvious from the 6-step process that a case will be built against users along the course of this process. You will be signing (digitally, physically, or both) off on a course thats been described as "education about copyright law" as part of the 6 step process, and then if you proceed to download protected content again, they will have a clear admission from you already that you understand said laws, yet proceeded to break them anyway.

Even the wording kind of makes this obvious: "The alerts stop after that last level and nothing else happens under the program."

This is an obvious way of saying there will be a separate further action that can follow up the 6 step process, which can be variable based on what evidence has been built during the 6 step process, and exactly what content has been infringed upon. (and perhaps whether the specific content holder(s) are actively pursuing penalties).

That's my take on it, at least.

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2012, 11:44 Smellfinger

I hope Tribler's decentralized anonymity scheme pans out. Bittorrent is going to have to head in that direction going forward. There really is no other option.  

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2012, 11:06 Verno

Or people who use Usenet+SSL will continue to get no warnings at all. Toothless and ineffective, its just there to set the stage for future invasive programs.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2012, 11:03 nin

Lesser also suggests that "nothing happens" after you reach the maximum six strikes:

"If you continue to engage in copyright infringement, you're not going to continue to get alerts," she said. "In our mind, we're going to target consumers that respond to these alerts. The alerts stop after that last level and nothing else happens under the program."

I'm laughing my ass off...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2012, 11:00 BobBob

No policy will stop a crazy person from doing something. It only scares honest people.  

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo