Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter

Cloud Imperium announces they have launched a Kickstarter Campaign for Star Citizen, the upcoming space simulator from Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts. This will supplement, rather than replace the fundraiser on the Roberts Space Industries Website, which has had ups and downs since it launched almost a week ago. Here's what's happenings:

Last week’s high profile announcement of Chris Roberts’ return to gaming and his highly anticipated PC space sim game, Star Citizen™, caused such a rush of support, the servers at www.robertsspaceindustries.com (the Star Citizen site) that hosted the game’s independently maintained crowd funding program simply collapsed leaving thousands of would-be pledgers and supporters on the outside looking in for days.

Today, the legendary game designer announced a solution to that problem. Roberts and his newly formed company, Cloud Imperium™, launched a Kickstarter campaign, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen, which will provide a stable and scalable crowd funding platform in addition to the custom one hosted on the Star Citizen site to help Roberts reach the company’s stated goal of raising a minimum of two million dollars for Star Citizen.

Despite the problems, which included multiple days without any pledge service on the Roberts Space Industries site, the company still managed to raise one million dollars in one week. “It’s a testament to the will power of our amazing fans,” said Roberts. “At a time when most would have given up, some dedicated fans kept trying to log on and eventually were able to get through and make a pledge. We appreciate all those efforts and now with Kickstarter, we believe we have an answer for everyone.

“It is all about giving our fans the opportunity to choose the platform and payment provider they feel the most comfortable with. We asked whether they wanted Kickstarter as an option and they spoke! Between Kickstarter and the original site, which supports Paypal and major credit cards, I believe we have the tools in place to make everyone feel comfortable in backing this game. I would also like to take a moment to thank the great people at Kickstarter. They were quick to offer help and have been great as we put together a solution.

“Those who pledged via Roberts Space Industries through our very rough first week of operation and those who make a pledge going forward on Kickstarter or on our site will all have their pledges tied directly to their Roberts Space Industries account,” said Roberts. “Nothing has changed there. We just hope that people will understand the situation we were in and support us and support what we plan on bringing to the table for PC gamers everywhere.”

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 20, 2012, 04:03 Jerykk

Asmodai wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 17:40:
Egosoft are still turning out quality space sims in the X series, although their storylines are generally pretty fucking weak, the sandbox aspect is exceptional.

I really wish they put more effort into the missions, particularly the side-missions. I'm really not a big fan of generic, randomly generated missions. "Go to [insert random sector] and kill group of [insert random enemy type]" just doesn't cut it anymore.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 18:00 JediPunisher

Due to the rocky start, my confidence in this project is not high, but I loved the WC & Privateer games so I’m in at $30.  

31. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 17:40 Asmodai

Egosoft are still turning out quality space sims in the X series, although their storylines are generally pretty fucking weak, the sandbox aspect is exceptional.  

30. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 15:44 nin

Coles are up!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

29. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 11:53 Dev

Cutter wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 22:03:
Too many - it seems intentional - unknown variables here. I'll be skipping this and waiting to see the finished product. One of the few KS projects I don't have a good feeling about in spite of wanting what they're offering.
I'm feeling similar misgivings. Plus, they are full of contradictions. It almost seems like he's trying to add every feature of popular games into one, just for the sake of having them.

Buy once, but microtransactions... also it will have gameplay thats free, so its F2P but not F2P? "Star Citizen will feature plenty of other ships and we expect players will want to earn credits and figure out which suits their particular style of play best. You can also upgrade to a bigger ship during the crowdfunding phase by pledging additional money." Hmm yeah, not F2P, but you can sure pay 2 win.

Not MMO, but massive and persistent and online, and single player. Which one is it? "This means that it is NOT a ‘click to kill’ interface like most modern MMOs" Like most MMOs? If its not an MMO, why are you talking about MMOs?

Continual updates adding new content, he's going to have to support that somehow.

Full modding supported, and do what you like on private servers... ok then why wouldn't I have everyone start with a bazillion credits to avoid the whole microtransaction thing? Or just have ME start with a bazillion creds. Or setup a store page to pay ME on my modded server to get much more creds?

He's not going to do kickstarter because he can't build fan base the way he wants to... but wait here's kickstarter!

System requirements will change, but here's current, GTX 460. Thats somewhat similar to the 560, which is around $150 right now. He would have been better off not saying anything about current requirements if it will change.

If this was $15 I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. But at $30 (for early backers, $40 if not), I'm going to wait until its released. Too many misgivings about how he's trying to throw everything including the kitchen sink into it.

28. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 09:55 Ceribaen

I kicked in some on it as I want a return of the concept - maybe LucasArts will see the light if this one gets enough critical mass and finally redo XvT with an updated netcode and graphics (with Xwing and TIE base version missions included... control options still all available as before), though I'm fully expecting something terrible to happen along the way on this one.

Just a gut feeling is all, nothing to base it on.

I think it's the MMO aspect actually, and the fact that the reward tiers are providing different levels of ships. Does as mentioned earlier sound like there's a P2W option as part of the design spec.

27. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 09:45 Silicon Avatar

I like that all these "old" designers are coming out of the woodwork to make new games. I will hate to see the gamer rage when one or more of them doesn't deliver.

But that's just the nature of Kickstarter and it's probably better that people are reminded of it constantly. You're paying in to projects that you might not get. You might be throwing money down a hole. There are plenty of big-name designers who have wasted millions and failed to deliver.

The last I remember coming out of Chris Roberts was that horrible Wing Commander movie.

I still wish he'd do a Bad Blood remake though.

26. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 09:25 InBlack

ViRGE wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 05:52:
InBlack wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 03:45:
Hello my name is Failed Hasbeen who made a few really cool games in the rose-tinted-ancient-past of the 90's.
If anyone can make a space sim work in 201X, it's Chris Roberts. If he can't do it then the genre is probably dead for good, as the pool of people with any kind of experience developing the genre is only going to shrink.

Thats pure conjecture how can the genre shrink from nonexistance? Its not like Chris Roberts was or is the ultimate space sim developer and the games were hardly original. Sure the first few Wind Commander games were quite good, but they werent even close to the greatness of Xwing or Tie Fighter. In my opinion Freespace1 & 2 were better games as well, all they lacked was FMVs. Hell, even the setting of the games is a complete rippoff of Larry Niven's world building Ringworld novel combined with a heavy dose of Babylon 5. Still they were good games for their time, and their biggest innovation were FMVs which were very cool but kind of gimmicky as no one could afford live action hollywood actors who would star in interactive movies.

All Im saying is that there are so many developers who are asking for money out of OUR pocket to develop their games which MIGHT or MIGHT NOT ever see the light of day or might not end up even remotely close to what we were expecting of them, its crazy...

I wish Roberts the best of luck but I would still advise caution, he hasnt been making games for a while and I will save my money for a cancer cure crowdsource...(or something practical along those lines)

I have a nifty blue line!

25. Re: Foolzatch@gmail.com Oct 19, 2012, 09:05 nin

Bob wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 04:48:
nin wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 20:09:
Saving my dough for the new Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption (Quest for Glory) kickstarter tomorrow!

Why, hello there! Please ignore the current state of my wallet, I'm swear I'm good for it!

I see they have submitted the kickstarter but are now awaiting its approval. You can see it here and peruse the many reward tiers:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/1154477367?token=e777beb1

Interesting...400K isn't impossible, but I worry how many people remember them. Tiers look good, not sure if I like the thieves guild password only going to some - hopefully that can still be earned in game. I'd like to know what formats their going for (gog, steam, direct download?) but the Q+A isn't up yet, so that could very well be added later. I'd prob be down for the $100 digital tier, based on the Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory games.

Thanks for the link!

edit: exterior shots look good - interiors around the 2 minute mark are place holders, I hope...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 07:49 Ozmodan

One of the few kickstarters I think is worth funding. Mainly because Chris Roberts has always delievered. Most of these kickstarters are like playing roulette.  

23. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 05:52 ViRGE

InBlack wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 03:45:
Hello my name is Failed Hasbeen who made a few really cool games in the rose-tinted-ancient-past of the 90's.
If anyone can make a space sim work in 201X, it's Chris Roberts. If he can't do it then the genre is probably dead for good, as the pool of people with any kind of experience developing the genre is only going to shrink.

22. Re: Foolzatch@gmail.com Oct 19, 2012, 04:48 Bob

nin wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 20:09:
Saving my dough for the new Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption (Quest for Glory) kickstarter tomorrow!

Why, hello there! Please ignore the current state of my wallet, I'm swear I'm good for it!

I see they have submitted the kickstarter but are now awaiting its approval. You can see it here and peruse the many reward tiers:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/1154477367?token=e777beb1

21. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 04:01 jacobvandy

Lol, well that's sort of my take on this one as well, though I wouldn't state it so crass as that. Same for the "old school RPG" from those other guys and/or John Romero. At least Double Fine and inXile and Obsidian and others whose projects I've pledged to have been making games throughout the past decade.  

20. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 03:45 InBlack

Please give me all your cash and you just MIGHT see a really cool new single-player-MMO thingy.

Please dont disregard this as blatant trolling. Im all cool with crowd funding but this is just ridiculous. One million dollars in one week. (And with the donation page broken for most of that week) For a game which we know very little about, its a space sim, sure. And its a mix of single player/MMO something....aha..ok.

Why not kickstart a cure for cancer? Now there is an idea. I would gladly chip in 5$ and the big pharma would be pissed as fuck which is always plus...

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2012, 04:42.

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 02:23 Prez

Anyone know wtf the golden ticket is for?

It means you get to meet a purple-coated Gene Wilder surrounded my middle-aged orange-faced pygmies.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 01:46 Cutter

Asmo wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 23:03:
ps. Anyone know wtf the golden ticket is for?

I've got one but fucked if I know what to do with it?

pps. Hey Cutter, you still looking for a key for Planetside 2? I seem to recall you were after one (although I might be mistaken).

No, I got one way back, thanks though. I actually have 2 extra keys to get rid of too.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 01:28 Asmo

Tumbler wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 23:23:

Can you still find it / look at it right now? I got one too but haven't seen it since that first day. I think it said something about a special reward that was to be revealed later.

Still got the email. Apparently part of it was for a special deal or something at GDC but apparently it's an early joiner bonus, but I can't find any details on the thing...

Not that I'm that bothered, my KS dance card is pretty full and it'll take a special product to pry any significant cash out of me at this point (did the 20 dollar deal for Project Eternity)

16. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 18, 2012, 23:57 Optional Nickname!

Is there any information regarding the specifics of the ships granted at each pledge level? Lacking this basic data is the primary reason I have yet to support this otherwise spectacular effort.  

15. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 18, 2012, 23:23 Tumbler

Can you still find it / look at it right now? I got one too but haven't seen it since that first day. I think it said something about a special reward that was to be revealed later.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

14. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 18, 2012, 23:03 Asmo

I've got one but fucked if I know what to do with it?

pps. Hey Cutter, you still looking for a key for Planetside 2? I seem to recall you were after one (although I might be mistaken).

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo