Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed

Irrational Games announces details about an Ultimate Songbird Edition and a Premium Edition of BioShock Infinite they will be offering as a pair of collector's editions for the upcoming first-person shooter sequel. These are both currently available for preorder here for North American customers, while the post adds that customers in Europe and Australia will have the chance to preorder beginning Monday. The more expensive Ultimate Songbird Edition will include a nine-plus inch statue and custom artwork along with the following goodies which comprise the Premium Edition:

• A 3-inch baby version keychain of the sold-out Murder of Crows vigor bottle replica.
  • A 5 x 7-inch lithograph by Jorge Lacera.
  • A 25 millimeter, resin-cast Handyman miniature from the upcoming BioShock Infinite board game by Plaid Hat Games, makers of Summoner Wars.
  • A mini art book, full of BioShock Infinite concept art and commentary, with a hand-distressed cover.
  • Various digital goodies: exclusive in-game gear, a digital soundtrack, and platform specific downloadable content (Avatar costumes for Xbox 360, and Themes for PC and PlayStation 3).

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 20, 2012, 04:09 Jerykk

At least David Lynch's films are consistently weird. Fahrenheit had an interesting and engaging story up until the totally random and nonsensical plot twist towards the end, at which point I totally stopped caring.

As for pacifism being punished in DX:HR, I'm not sure what you mean. The game gives you more XP for non-lethal takedowns than lethal ones. In fact, non-lethal stealth hacker was the most efficient build for getting XP. Sure, the bosses had to be killed, but there were only 4 of those in the entire game. It was pretty dumb that you were given the Ghost XP reward even if you knocked out every person in the level, though. The difference between killing someone and knocking them out is completely superficial in games and requires the exact same amount of skill. True ghosting = no kills, no knockouts, no alarms, no detections. Basically, no trace of your existence. That takes skill and should rewarded accordingly (which Mark of the Ninja does).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 19, 2012, 14:27 DarkCntry

Jerykk wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 23:11:
Dishonored has much more in common with Thief and Bioshock than Deus Ex and System Shock. It has the ambiance, level design, AI and stealth mechanics of Thief with the powers, combat and upgrade system of Bioshock. That's a pretty great combination in my mind but if you're expecting another DX or SS, you'll likely be disappointed.

Yea, I agree. The thing I was trying to emphasize was that in Dishonored that we finally got the choice to be pacifist and succeed without being penalized or forced into killing people, like Human Revolution fell into.

As for Dishonored's story, I don't think it fell apart at all. If you pay attention to the details, the end game events all make sense. The only shortcoming is that it didn't really answer all the questions I had about the supernatural elements of the story. If you want a good example of a game whose story completely falls apart towards the end, see Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy.

Believe me, I've kept up with the story pretty well, it was just the combination of not expanding on the Outsider and the rather obvious turn the game's story went after you achieved your main goal. I mean, it really felt incoherent when you faced your 'alter-ego' Assassin because they only glossed over him during the bulk of the story and then threw a focal point to him during that section, only to then totally remove him from the equation.

I will say that the ending I got felt nice, especially considering the amount of work I did with only 3 total kills (the only deaths were due to clipping when tossing bodies down and them breaking their necks...and the duel sequence at the party) and low chaos.

Also, I don't think Fahrenheit's story fell apart, I think it just took the David Lynch approach and creating one of the most "WTF"-style story possible. That, and well, David Cage

24. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 19, 2012, 01:51 Tanto Edge

Sounds like XCOM to me...
Syndicate..? There was no Syndicate. Dunno what you're talking about. Never happened.

Prez wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 16:02:

I am finding that it helps to not look at "Game 'A' " as a spiritual successor to "Game 'B' " if I can help it. I know it helps me enjoy things more. Bioshock was not a very good successor to System Shock but it was a good game in its own right (close to a great one actually for me). Disappointment at finding what a game is not all too often can keep me from enjoying a game for what it is. Which is the main reason I think that I get so pissed when a company names their game after an awesome game like Jagged Alliance or Syndicate and then doesn't do the name justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

23. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 23:11 Jerykk

Dishonored has much more in common with Thief and Bioshock than Deus Ex and System Shock. It has the ambiance, level design, AI and stealth mechanics of Thief with the powers, combat and upgrade system of Bioshock. That's a pretty great combination in my mind but if you're expecting another DX or SS, you'll likely be disappointed.

As for Dishonored's story, I don't think it fell apart at all. If you pay attention to the details, the end game events all make sense. The only shortcoming is that it didn't really answer all the questions I had about the supernatural elements of the story. If you want a good example of a game whose story completely falls apart towards the end, see Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy.

22. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 19:24 DarkCntry

sauron wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 18:23:
Great, thanks nin!

Speaking of spiritual successors to System Shock, I'm thinking Dishonored looks like a convergence of SS2, Thief and Deus Ex. Saw some gameplay vids today and boy does it look good. Think I'll have to get it, then play it when the kids and Mrs. Sauron are asleep.

The one drawback to Dishonored, in my opinion, is that the story just falls apart during the climax. I won't say it's the exact same, but I felt it went off the rails in a similar fashion that Mass Effect did, just more condensed and not over 3 games

I will say that I did highly enjoy the option to play as a pacifist and that it didn't penalize me. The actual choice to do it with violence or not is actually a big selling point to me, and one I missed from Human Revolution.

21. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 18:23 sauron

nin wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 14:05:
sauron wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 13:48:
nin wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 13:41:
Only problem I'm having is with annoying respawns

I think the last time I played, I turned those off (not positive)...I know I turned off gun degradation.

If you can remember how, let me know!

In the meantime, my Guardian will be rolling through GW2 zones like a Sherman tank. That class sure is overpowered.

Scroll down to the part about user.cfg. I think that's it' but it's been awhile. That also shows how to turn off weapon degradation, which always annoyed the fuck out of me.

Great, thanks nin!

Speaking of spiritual successors to System Shock, I'm thinking Dishonored looks like a convergence of SS2, Thief and Deus Ex. Saw some gameplay vids today and boy does it look good. Think I'll have to get it, then play it when the kids and Mrs. Sauron are asleep.

Kittens!

20. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 16:02 Prez

Hmm... I never got that feeling at all. I would have to guess that Dishonored would be closer to a System Shock successor than Bioshock... at least from my point of view regarding gameplay... even though both Bioshock and Dishonored don't have character stats to work with.

Technically... Deus Ex (the first one) was an evolution to System Shock, IMO, and the real "spiritual successor"

I am finding that it helps to not look at "Game 'A' " as a spiritual successor to "Game 'B' " if I can help it. I know it helps me enjoy things more. Bioshock was not a very good successor to System Shock but it was a good game in its own right (close to a great one actually for me). Disappointment at finding what a game is not all too often can keep me from enjoying a game for what it is. Which is the main reason I think that I get so pissed when a company names their game after an awesome game like Jagged Alliance or Syndicate and then doesn't do the name justice.

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 2012, 16:08.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 15:21 wtf_man

Ratty wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 12:22:
I'm playing Bioshock 1 again after quite a while being away from it and I must say I'm enjoying it a lot more than I remember the first time I played it. I find myself appreciating the things that make it the spiritual successor to SS it claims to be. There are so many radically different ways you can solve a problem and within any level it's generally non-linear. I think the first time I played it I was disappointed by the whole console vibe but I guess I'm used to that in modern games now so it doesn't even bother me. I'm tempted to say I like it almost as much as SS2.

Hmm... I never got that feeling at all. I would have to guess that Dishonored would be closer to a System Shock successor than Bioshock... at least from my point of view regarding gameplay... even though both Bioshock and Dishonored don't have character stats to work with.

Technically... Deus Ex (the first one) was an evolution to System Shock, IMO, and the real "spiritual successor".

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 2012, 15:29.

18. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 15:19 jomisab

Tell me it wouldn't be awesome to play this game using these: http://www.oculusvr.com/  

17. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 15:14 Flatline

I'm more interested in the board game. Plaid Hat Games is a great developer, and Summoner Wars is one of my all-time favorite games ever made.

That doesn't mean it'll be a great game, but I'm far more interested in the board game.

16. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 15:13 Prez

Creston wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 10:59:
nin wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 10:48:
I'm much more interested in if the game will be any good than a statue...

Is there anyone even still remotely interested in it?

Creston

I am. I've always been a fan of Ken Levine and Irrational Games. Bioshock was really good despite it not being as much like System Shock as I had hoped.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 14:05 nin

sauron wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 13:48:

I think the last time I played, I turned those off (not positive)...I know I turned off gun degradation.

In the meantime, my Guardian will be rolling through GW2 zones like a Sherman tank. That class sure is overpowered.

Scroll down to the part about user.cfg. I think that's it' but it's been awhile. That also shows how to turn off weapon degradation, which always annoyed the fuck out of me.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 13:48 sauron

Kittens!

13. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 13:41 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 12:51 Tumbler

Hmm, not very impressive stuff. The size of the Lithograph is nice, 5x7 is a decent size. Those mini artbooks are kind of meh. I got the Xcom special edition which came with that and it's interesting but I think I'd prefer a lot more lithographs. Give me a dozen different pictures that are all 5x7. Keychain is meh, I'm not crazy about the statues in general, they're fun to look at for about a day...then...why did I buy that? A nice picture can be framed and not feel like it's taking up space or even better you can just swap out the picture and put the old one away with very little effort.

I'm starting on my wall of shwag that I've been collecting from various kickstarter projects. So far it's the double fine poster and a print from a game called college ruled. I want to put a little card next to them like you'd see in a gallery that details what each one is from. Overtime I can rotate out stuff I don't want to just keep adding stuff to it!

I can't wait to get something for Wasteland 2 and shadowrun!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 12:50 sauron

nin wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 11:00:
Did you try that patch a few weeks ago for SS2? Works great under Win7!

I've installed it, and also added the high-resolution models from the Rebirth mod. Only problem I'm having is with annoying respawns - at this point I don't really want to replay the game in its full intensity as look at it in all its updated glory.

Not playing SS2 much since I'm addicted to GW2. Just hit level 23 on my main but I also have a few alts - and yes I know I level slow.

Kittens!

10. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 12:40 MajorD

Verno wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 11:16:
I'm really going to need to see a lot of in-game footage without employee training wheels to make a purchase on this. They've shown off so little and what they did show looked incredibly scripted. Normally I wouldn't mind taking a chance since I really enjoyed Bioshock overall but the troubled development combined with the lack of anything to evaluate makes it difficult.

Yeah, I'm with the same mind set as well.

9. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 12:34 Cutter

I bought the Bioshock CE and my Big Daddy statue sits proudly on my night table. This game however is looking pretty bargain bin atm.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

8. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 12:22 Ratty

wtf_man wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 11:09:
Standing on it's own merit... I guess I would classify it as a mediocre shooter... but I was expecting them to fulfill their claim of making a "spiritual successor to System Shock" and was extremely disappointed.
I'm playing Bioshock 1 again after quite a while being away from it and I must say I'm enjoying it a lot more than I remember the first time I played it. I find myself appreciating the things that make it the spiritual successor to SS it claims to be. There are so many radically different ways you can solve a problem and within any level it's generally non-linear. I think the first time I played it I was disappointed by the whole console vibe but I guess I'm used to that in modern games now so it doesn't even bother me. I'm tempted to say I like it almost as much as SS2.

Next up, Bioshock 2. But I'm thinking I won't like that as much as Bioshock 1.

7. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 11:16 Verno

I'm really going to need to see a lot of in-game footage without employee training wheels to make a purchase on this. They've shown off so little and what they did show looked incredibly scripted. Normally I wouldn't mind taking a chance since I really enjoyed Bioshock overall but the troubled development combined with the lack of anything to evaluate makes it difficult.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo