Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I've gotten a couple of complaints about a takeover ad a couple of users have encountered here which should not be happening, so if you are experiencing this you have my apologies. I will get these addressed.

When some picks went awry for me earlier in the NFL season I chalked it up to needing time to learn how some teams will be different this year than in the past, but we all seem to be doing worse as the season goes on, though this is probably as attributable to a wacky couple of weeks as anything. Anyway, my disappointment in my 6-8 record quickly gave way to shock today when I looked and saw that this actually won the week, as Jivaro and Creston were 5-9, and Cutter was 4-10.

Anyway, here's another go: Seahawks, Bills, Cowboys, Texans, Colts, Cardinals, Giants, Packers, Saints, Patriots, Raiders, Steelers, and Bears.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: They Took Our Candy.
Stories: Saints fan files class action over bounty scandal suspensions.
Why the New Nielsen Ratings Might Be Viewers' Biggest Hope.
Media: Star Wars Uncut Scene 149.
Dude Beat-Boxes Music from "Street Fighter".
Auction: James Bond's swimming trunks sold for $71,876.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2012, 16:14 Beamer

Creston wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 16:04:
sauron wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 09:39:
Alex Rodriguez? Gutless wonder, officially stamped as such by the NYC public.

Scott Brosius hits homerun in the world series: True Yankee.

Alex Rodriguez carries the Yankees in the entire 2009 playoffs : Gutless wonder.

:p

Beamer wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 10:56:
Hell, even prayed that A-Rod wouldn't confuse them by making himself a postseason legend.

You mean like he did in 2009? Admittedly it was about the only post season he really did anything, but he won that ring just about single-handedly.

Creston

He did fantastic in 2009, but he still had his core with him.
Doing it this year would have required it to legitimately be just him. No Jeter. No Mariano.
It would be overcoming so much adversity that it would be one of the more legendary Yankees performances.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2012, 16:06 Creston

Prez wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 02:12:
Btw, Cano went like 2 for 90, and nobody complains about him. It's all A-Rod's fault again...

You haven't been reading all of the articles I have. Cano has been crucified mercilessly for his flacid hitting. I have been a Yankee fan since '76, and I can easily say I have never seen the team hitting so poorly before. Wow, the whole team was just awful.

Maybe in the local media, but internationally nobody talked about it. And of course, it's hypocritical to the extreme for the local media to be whining, because without Cano's incredible september, the Yankees likely wouldn't have even made it to the playoffs.

Hot streaks are followed by cold streaks. That's baseball. Cano's hot streak just came three weeks too early.

Creston

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2012, 16:04 Creston

sauron wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 09:39:
Alex Rodriguez? Gutless wonder, officially stamped as such by the NYC public.

Scott Brosius hits homerun in the world series: True Yankee.

Alex Rodriguez carries the Yankees in the entire 2009 playoffs : Gutless wonder.

:p

Hell, even prayed that A-Rod wouldn't confuse them by making himself a postseason legend.

You mean like he did in 2009? Admittedly it was about the only post season he really did anything, but he won that ring just about single-handedly.

Creston

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2012, 11:25 Jivaro

I know most people feel like the Yankees lost that series rather then Detroit won the series...but it should be pointed out that Detroit is a hell of a team. They aren't going to go into the World Series as the underdog, regardless of who they play.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2012, 11:12 sauron

I'm surprised any Yankees fans cared after Jeter broke his ankle. I thought we were all in agreement that the season was over.

Yeah, there's that. But then again, in the old days the team would have stepped up. O'Neill, Posada, Martinez, Brosius, Wells. Hell, even Clemens, as much as I hate him. They were really tough, and they never quit.

Kittens!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2012, 10:56 Beamer

I'm surprised any Yankees fans cared after Jeter broke his ankle. I thought we were all in agreement that the season was over. There was no chance. I made my peace with it the next day, made the mistake of watching the ninth inning of Game 3, and didn't even remember there was a game last night.

Most Yankees fans gave up without Jeter. Hell, even prayed that A-Rod wouldn't confuse them by making himself a postseason legend.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2012, 10:47 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 02:12:
Btw, Cano went like 2 for 90, and nobody complains about him. It's all A-Rod's fault again...

You haven't been reading all of the articles I have. Cano has been crucified mercilessly for his flacid hitting. I have been a Yankee fan since '76, and I can easily say I have never seen the team hitting so poorly before. Wow, the whole team was just awful.

I think the local NY press was harder on the team as a whole then the national press. ESPN, Fox Sports, etc...they all were running "WTF A-ROD?!" commentary and interviews all week. They acknowledged that other players, particularly the Grandy Man, were having a rough time of it...but they really went after A-Rod. Not completely fair, but at the same time because of the money he makes, his stats, and the PED scandal, he is the one most relevant to national interests. People like to see a train wreck and the press know it.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2012, 09:39 sauron

Creston wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 00:44:
Once Jeter went out, though, it was easy to see the Yanks going down in flames. He, Ichiro and Ibanez were the only ones who were hitting. Btw, Cano went like 2 for 90, and nobody complains about him. It's all A-Rod's fault again...

Creston

Yeah, I'm in NYC and a Yankees fan, but the performance of the hitters this postseason (aside from Jeter, Ichiro and Ibanez) was just horrible.

Thing is, people in this town expect their teams (and each other) to fight for what they want, scuffle for it. They hate it when that doesn't happen. Folks that give up get labeled as soft, lacking the guts to get things done. That's why Jeter walked off the field on a broken ankle, showing the fans he was tough enough to take it.

Alex Rodriguez? Gutless wonder, officially stamped as such by the NYC public. Plus he was flirting with girls while letting the fans down. No way they'll have him back - the bleachers will heckle him every single game, for the entire game. That's just the way they are.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2012, 09:45.

Kittens!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2012, 08:51 Sprawl

I got burned on my picks last week but I'm stepping up my game this week and going with; ATL DEN KC MIA PHI and SD.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2012, 02:12 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2012, 00:44 Creston

Prez wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 21:53:
Yeah, they utterly dismantled the Yankees - I have friends in New York who are talking about setting up a support group in order to deal with how bad it was. So far it sounds like it will be taking place at Hooters so they can stare at large breasts in tight t-shirts while they cry in their beer about it.

I'm a Yankees fan to be sure, but once in a while everyone needs a reminder that you can't buy a World Series, and that NO ONE is worth 29 frickin' million dollars a year.

The Tigers own the Yankees in the post season. That's 3 series wins in... 7 years?

And yeah, how 'bout that A-Rod? Everyone knew he wouldn't be worth that kind of money on the tail end, but at least he was expected to be a 2 or 3 wins above replacement guy, who'd hit 20 odd homers and drive in 80 to 100 runs. Play decent defense, steal a base here and there. That's the kind of guy you normally sign for 8 million, but okay, that's the price of doing business.

And now he's just fallen apart, and there's ample speculation he'll be traded to the Marlins this offseason (and I have NO idea why they would want him), and he's a massive anchor for the Yankees.

Once Jeter went out, though, it was easy to see the Yanks going down in flames. He, Ichiro and Ibanez were the only ones who were hitting. Btw, Cano went like 2 for 90, and nobody complains about him. It's all A-Rod's fault again...

Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2012, 22:24 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 21:53:
Yeah, they utterly dismantled the Yankees - I have friends in New York who are talking about setting up a support group in order to deal with how bad it was. So far it sounds like it will be taking place at Hooters so they can stare at large breasts in tight t-shirts while they cry in their beer about it.

I'm a Yankees fan to be sure, but once in a while everyone needs a reminder that you can't buy a World Series, and that NO ONE is worth 29 frickin' million dollars a year.

Well Tigers have spent quite a few bucks as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_paid_Major_League_Baseball_players

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2012, 21:53 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2012, 21:48 Sepharo

How bout them Tigers?

Clap

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2012, 21:06 xXBatmanXx

hahahah I felt horrible at 6-8 as well. ohwell, it was one of those weeks. Lots of money lost!

I take SF tonight, rest of the picks coming later. Been busy.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2012, 18:39 mag

Oops. Missed out last week. Here's another go:

49ers, Bills, Cowboys, Ravens, Colts, Vikings, Saints, Packers, Giants, Patriots, Raiders, Bengals, Lions

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2012, 18:28 sauron

Regarding the takeover ads, I was in Europe on a work trip last week and the ads for this site over there are completely different (and in different languages).

One prominent ad was for a dating site, in German, with stereotypical half-naked muscular Herr and blond almost-nekkid teutonic Fraulein. Top of the page and the right hand side banner. Superimposing those images onto the Bluesnews geekfest was pretty bizarre. I should have taken a picture.

Then again, I was in France when I saw that one. Those frenchies, eh. Shocking.

Kittens!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2012, 15:22 Prez

They are actually thinking of improving the Nielsen ratings antiquated methodology? I never thought I'd see the day.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2012, 13:45 Cutter

Verno wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 13:13:
I haven't watched football in almost a decade but I got back into it a few weeks ago. Here are my clueless picks, I use the cities because I literally do not know a few of the team names from memory yet:

San Fran, Tennessee, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Minnesota, New York Giants, Green Bay, New Orleans, New York Jets, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Chicago.

Easiest way to check is http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2012, 13:13 Verno

I haven't watched football in almost a decade but I got back into it a few weeks ago. Here are my clueless picks, I use the cities because I literally do not know a few of the team names from memory yet:

San Fran, Tennessee, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Minnesota, New York Giants, Green Bay, New Orleans, New York Jets, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Chicago.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo