Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Project Eternity Did Pass $4M

The Kickstarter Page for Project Eternity has a final update on the record-setting fundraising for Obsidian Entertainment's upcoming RPG, revealing that the game did indeed surpass its final four million dollar target. They also discuss the ability to continue to influence the game's direction, as they promise one more level for the dungeon if they exceed 40,000 "likes" on their Facebook page, and that there's still a chance to become a backer via PayPal. Thanks nin.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Project Eternity Did Pass $4M Oct 18, 2012, 17:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

Creston wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 09:35:
They confirmed 15 and are holding open the possibility of another level if they get 40K 'likes' on FB. Which is a stupid mechanism which I really want to go away, so 15 levels is plenty for me. In fact, that's such a daunting amount that unless there is a way to exit the dungeon and return where you were, I may never go down there.

Creston

We're probably 2 years away from this game being complete, but I can't imagine they wouldn't do something similar to the BG2 Watcher's Keep, where you had portals to exit out of each level at any time. I know, that was old Bioware, but surely it came up on the Obsidian radar...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Project Eternity Did Pass $4M Oct 18, 2012, 10:41 Dev

One can also upgrade using paypal for a limited time.

So all those complaining about kickstarter/amazon payment system and how it doesn't show currency in their native currency, can just skip all that and use paypal (Looking at you Lorcin).

20. Re: Project Eternity Did Pass $4M Oct 18, 2012, 09:41 John

I'll go down there and tear the place up! Just need my "Infinite Bag of Holding" and I'll be good-to-go.  
This space is available for rent

19. Re: Project Eternity Did Pass $4M Oct 18, 2012, 09:35 Creston

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 21:57:
Huzaahh! And 14-15 level dungeon goodness.

They confirmed 15 and are holding open the possibility of another level if they get 40K 'likes' on FB. Which is a stupid mechanism which I really want to go away, so 15 levels is plenty for me. In fact, that's such a daunting amount that unless there is a way to exit the dungeon and return where you were, I may never go down there.

Creston

18. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 18, 2012, 08:46 nin

And how many times have you been burned on major titles for $40-$60 anyway?

I think thats part of what makes taking the plunge easier.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Project Eternity Did Pass $4M Oct 18, 2012, 05:17 eRe4s3r

I highly doubt they will be making a sprite engine in Unity 4. They will be using a 3d mesh as base and place the prerendered and touched up area tiles on it. That way they can do water and terrain height as well as proper integration of the 3d characters which they already said they'll be using

So the game will have more polygons than sprites....

16. Re: Project Eternity Did Pass $4M Oct 18, 2012, 03:43 deqer

I don't see how this game could possibly suck, given their history of doing games like this already and given plenty of time(until 2014) to do it. I also believe I heard one of the devs say they already have a an early prototype working.

Sprites > polygons.

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 18, 2012, 03:20 Cutter

cocoreno wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 23:03:
My innate cynicism has be believing we'll only see a slight improvement in quality of these Kickstarter-funded games as we do from the overall PC market.

I hope I'm proven wrong.

Speaking of which, anyone know when the first project (game) is slated for release?

Well, it's a grand experiment, not just with video games but with everything else on KS. And really, seeing as the handful of games most people have backed at $15 or $20 isn't much of a risk. It costs almost 10 bucks for a bloody Big Mac meal at McDs these days. And how many times have you been burned on major titles for $40-$60 anyway? Worst comes to worst and people are out a few bucks and that's it for Kickstarter style stuff. We at least owe it the chance to see if it'll work in the long run.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Project Eternity Did Pass $4M Oct 18, 2012, 02:57 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wow, 4 million. Congrats to Obsidian, hope they release the game in my lifetime.

Project Eternity and Grim Dawn are the only two Kickstarters I've contributed to so far, really looking forward to both games. Dead State seems cool also, I've been following its progress for over a year now, but couldn't bring myself to contribute to it.

But... what the hell is this Facebook nonsense? Facebook has truly infected all aspects of life, if the (traditionally) solo-rpg on PC needs Facebook advertising/Likes to succeed. For shame, humanity.

13. Re: Project Eternity Did Pass $4M Oct 18, 2012, 00:05 John

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 23:25:
I believe the Double Fine Adventure will be the first high-profile project to start from nothing, get funding via KS, and then go from there. In fact, their original target ship date was October (i.e. this very month), but that was for their initial goal of $400k. I understand it will take a while longer to spend those extra millions.
Yeah, I think they're shooting for May of next year now. I'm glad they're taking the time to add more content to the game though.

NKD wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 23:24:
It's not really about quality, necessarily, but rather allowing more freedom in terms of what TYPE of game you are making. This kind of title would simply not get released from mainstream publishers, at any level of quality.
Exactly! I think quality can be better too without having publishers pressuring the devs to meet a certain date or change parts of the game negatively.

This space is available for rent

12. Re: Project Eternity Did Pass $4M Oct 17, 2012, 23:27 Acleacius

Told ya, Blue!  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

11. Re: Project Eternity Did Pass $4M Oct 17, 2012, 23:25 jacobvandy

Ehh, I wouldn't count FTL as an example. Like Ravaged, it's one of those that was almost done, so they just used Kickstarter to get some extra money so they could finish polishing it up rather than release it early in a sub-optimal state. I believe the Double Fine Adventure will be the first high-profile project to start from nothing, get funding via KS, and then go from there. In fact, their original target ship date was October (i.e. this very month), but that was for their initial goal of $400k. I understand it will take a while longer to spend those extra millions.  

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 17, 2012, 23:24 NKD

My innate cynicism has be believing we'll only see a slight improvement in quality of these Kickstarter-funded games as we do from the overall PC market.

I hope I'm proven wrong.

Speaking of which, anyone know when the first project (game) is slated for release?

It's not really about quality, necessarily, but rather allowing more freedom in terms of what TYPE of game you are making. This kind of title would simply not get released from mainstream publishers, at any level of quality.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 17, 2012, 23:24 Sepharo

killer_roach wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 23:17:

I hope I'm proven wrong.

One of the big early Kickstarter game success stories, FTL, is already out...

Ravaged is out as well.

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 17, 2012, 23:17 killer_roach

I hope I'm proven wrong.

One of the big early Kickstarter game success stories, FTL, is already out...

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 17, 2012, 23:03 cocoreno

I hope I'm proven wrong.

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 17, 2012, 22:47 LittleMe

slaka wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 22:31:
Please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck

This might be a good litmus test to see how publishers often ruin games.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 17, 2012, 22:38 nin

slaka wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 22:31:

No kidding! This, and Shadowrun. And Wasteland. And DF. Dead State, too.

Fingers crossed for all our devs.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 17, 2012, 22:31 slaka

3. Re: Project Eternity Did Pass $4M Oct 17, 2012, 22:20 ASeven

Now I need a way to forget this until 2014 or I won't be able to stand the long wait.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo