Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Harvey Smith Interview

An interview on Rock, Paper, Shotgun talks with Harvey Smith of Arkane Studios about Dishonored, their recently released stealth/action game. He also discusses the ups and downs of his career in a thoughtful conversation about the business of game development, expressing satisfaction at the work done on cancelled games, and dissatisfaction with some that have shipped ("I was disappointed with decisions that we made on Deus Ex: Invisible War. Things also went very badly at Midway [with Area 51]…"). Thanks nin.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Harvey Smith Interview Oct 18, 2012, 16:31 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 23:45:
And you weren't the only one disappointed by them. Every Deus Ex fan ever except Scottish Martial Arts was disappointed too. And all you could do was toot your own horn and bleat about streamlining and how it had "made a better game" and all that other bullshit.

And what did you expect him to say at the time? "Yeah, our game sucks, don't buy it"? I don't understand why people seem so surprised that developers shill for their own products, regardless of their quality. Heck, strike the "developers" from that, and replace it with generic "content creators". Directors, authors, etc, all do the same thing.

And then they'll often do what we see here, once they've removed themselves from the situation, they can be more honest about what they really believe. But expecting him at the time to have said anything bad about the game is just silly. Even assuming he's contractually allowed to, it would be really dumb to be out there slagging his own game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Harvey Smith Interview Oct 18, 2012, 11:11 Pineapple Ferguson

Creston wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 10:57:
It wasn't so much that the game was bad, it was that all the fans were continuously blatantly lied to about the game while it was in development, and that features that were heavily protested when they were announced (such as the much reviled 'universal ammo') were waved away by Harvey Smith sine cura. After all, HE knew better. HE knew that the only thing wrong with the original Deus Ex was that there was TOO MUCH CHOICE. Rolleyes

Sigh

/hugs DE:HR

Creston

I guess I don't really care too much about what was promised vs. what was delivered way back in whenever. At the time I wasn’t paying any attention to it and similar games because they were being designed for first gen consoles, which I didn’t have and knew I never would have.

The only reason I even bothered playing it was because I got nostalgic waiting for HR and picked up the first two as a package deal on Steam for $5. After replaying the original, I decided to give DX:IW a chance (there’s also a pretty decent texture pack for it.) Anyway, my point is, when viewed on its own merits, it’s really not a bad game. Yes, it is the poster child of consolitis, but I more or less enjoyed it. I wouldn’t ever play it again though – suffering through the constant loading once was enough.
Either way, any bad feelings you may still be harboring toward anyone involved in its making should be absolved by the top to bottom awesomeness of Dishonored. I think it’s even better than DX:HR.

10. Re: Harvey Smith Interview Oct 18, 2012, 10:57 Creston

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 09:42:
You know, I thought the only thing that was truly terrible about DX2 was the engine. Sure, it was a step down from the first, depth-wise, but if it wasn't for the tiny levels and long loading times, the game itself was not that bad.

It wasn't so much that the game was bad, it was that all the fans were continuously blatantly lied to about the game while it was in development, and that features that were heavily protested when they were announced (such as the much reviled 'universal ammo') were waved away by Harvey Smith sine cura. After all, HE knew better. HE knew that the only thing wrong with the original Deus Ex was that there was TOO MUCH CHOICE. Rolleyes

Sigh

/hugs DE:HR

Creston

9. Re: Harvey Smith Interview Oct 18, 2012, 10:54 Creston

Prez wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 04:23:
Funny, since you were the one making all those fucking decisions.

And you weren't the only one disappointed by them. And all you could do was toot your own horn and bleat about streamlining and how it had "made a better game" and all that other bullshit.

Sounds like he's owning up to his mistakes now - I say cut him some slack.

But is he really? Here's the paragraph in question:

“I was disappointed with decisions that we made on Deus Ex: Invisible War. Things also went very badly at Midway [with Area 51]… Area 51 was just super-troubled development. It was a very large organization. It was hard to get anything done. Nobody was really empowered, I think. After I was gone – after I got fired, frankly – all of their studios shut down. One thing was not the problem. It was not isolated.”

Where does he acknowledge that HE made those decisions, and that they were wrong? It never says that anywhere. For all we know, he might be thinking "I'm sorry we didn't implement unified ammo across the entire game in all systems." And the way he says "We" seems to kind of ignore that he was the lead on that project. Like I said, they were HIS decisions.

He was also in charge of development on Area51, which was a clusterfuck of epic proportions, and he seems to just blame it on it being "a large organization." Where is he saying that he shared the blame in it?

Yes, he released a great game in Dishonored, but like with the original Deus Ex, I think he needs to work with people who can keep him in check. When that happens, great games follow. When it doesn't, you get the other half of Harvey Smith. The one that feels he knows better than everyone else and releases shit.

Creston

8. Re: Harvey Smith Interview Oct 18, 2012, 10:27 Kajetan

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 09:42:
You know, I thought the only thing that was truly terrible about DX2 was the engine. Sure, it was a step down from the first, depth-wise, but if it wasn't for the tiny levels and long loading times, the game itself was not that bad.
True. And it didnt help that DX1 was such an amazing experience. DX2 wasnt a bad game at all, it was just a not so great sucessor to a behemoth of greatness.

7. Re: Harvey Smith Interview Oct 18, 2012, 09:42 Pineapple Ferguson

Either way, Dishonored is even better than I was expecting and is easily the most enjoyable game I've played in a very long time. I'm taking my time with each mission, often just stopping to admire the beauty and soak in the atmosphere.

6. Re: Harvey Smith Interview Oct 18, 2012, 09:04 Verno

Creston wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 23:45:
I was disappointed with decisions that we made on Deus Ex: Invisible War

And you weren't the only one disappointed by them. Every Deus Ex fan ever except Scottish Martial Arts was disappointed too. And all you could do was toot your own horn and bleat about streamlining and how it had "made a better game" and all that other bullshit.

He's human, we all make mistakes. No better way to ask forgiveness than shipping a great game like Dishonored, chill out.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

5. Re: Harvey Smith Interview Oct 18, 2012, 08:28 sauron

Great article. Thanks for the link.  

Kittens!

4. Re: Harvey Smith Interview Oct 18, 2012, 04:23 Prez

And you weren't the only one disappointed by them. And all you could do was toot your own horn and bleat about streamlining and how it had "made a better game" and all that other bullshit.

Sounds like he's owning up to his mistakes now - I say cut him some slack.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Harvey Smith Interview Oct 17, 2012, 23:45 Creston

I was disappointed with decisions that we made on Deus Ex: Invisible War

Creston

2. Re: Harvey Smith Interview Oct 17, 2012, 21:54 Prez

That was a really interesting interview. Good job RPS.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Harvey Smith Interview Oct 17, 2012, 21:46 nin

I wasn't familiar with his childhood. Sad, to put it mildly.

In related news, Dishonored is pretty damn good.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo