Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior Online Raises $5M

Infinite Game Publishing announces that the MechWarrior Online founder's program has raised over five million dollars to support the upcoming mech MMOG, and that the game will soon enter open beta testing:

Infinite Game Publishing (IGP), Canada’s fastest-growing independent publisher of online games, and MechWarrior Online™ developer Piranha Games today announced results of its MechWarrior Online Founder’s Program: The pre-order program for MechWarrior Online achieved more than $5 million in sales since it first went on sale in July. Beginning soon, MechWarrior Online will be available for all PC gamers to play at www.mwomercs.com as it transitions into the Open Beta phase.

MechWarrior Online represents the first of three premium online games to be published worldwide by IGP, opening first in North America. Bolstered by high demand for top-quality online digital entertainment, startup publisher IGP has grown its Montreal-based headquarters to more than 50 people in the past year. It continues to recruit top industry talent as it prepares for global expansion.

Russ Bullock, president of Piranha Games, lauded the program’s success, “Working together with IGP, we maximized the value for fans participating in the MechWarrior Online Founder’s Program by offering three tiers to suit different player’s needs. Ultimately the program was a categorical success and we couldn’t be happier with the sales and important player feedback we’ve received.”

“The success of the Founder’s Program reinforces IGP’s vision to help independent developers build exceptional games with the right economic model for the global marketplace,” said Nick Foster, CEO of IGP. “We are in a unique position to be able to deliver a pipeline of high quality, innovative content for online game players.”

“The Founders are helping us fund, develop and support the game in order to deliver the best online gaming experience,” said Kelly Zmak, President of IGP. “The tremendous success of the MechWarrior Online Founder’s Program demonstrates how passionate the fans are for the MechWarrior franchise and reflect our management team understanding the rapidly changing online game industry, the fastest-growing sector of digital entertainment.”

In addition to MechWarrior Online, IGP has announced two additional free-to-play games this year which have already been labeled as white-hot brands by top industry media: MechWarrior Tactics (www.mwtactics.com) and Sins of a Dark Age (www.sinsofadarkage.com), both of which are currently in late alpha testing and will launch Open Betas later this year.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 18, 2012, 04:10 InBlack

Thats a shame really, hopefully some of you guys in the closed beta are posting feedback on their boards. A mech game that doesnt have a mech feel to it is rather pointless me thinks.

Hell if Mechwarrior Living Legends does it better, why the fuck would I even want to try this??

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 23:33 Jackplug

The game atm for me is a bit boring, the maps are dismal and depressing the whole post apocolypic senario is just too much. Gameplay is just 2 bases and you gotta defend yours, only thing is if at the start ppl move out, you always get a couple who will run around the edges to your base and destroy it and that is it game over. I feel it should really be a TDM.

It really needs allot of tweaking, armour they just doubled cos it was alittle weak, but it needed balancing than just doubling which really annoyed me cos they took tabletop values away too quickly. Endo armour like someone just said will cause complications and they better get it right instead of just adding a larger figure.

Open beta we will see ppl install it, play it for alittle while and then uninstall it. I feel world of warplanes is better than this(yeah I'm doing the closed beta on that too :D).

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2012, 23:41.

14. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 20:28 Bet

Flatline wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 18:00:
Keith wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 12:43:
I don't think the game is solid or fun at this point. My take is that some are so invested in seeing a successful mech game that they are willing to dismiss obvious and glaring problems. That is just my opinion. The graphics, the 'mech set up, the maps, the teams, the weapons, everything I see needs major tweaking. There is some inherent fun in knowing you are blowing some nameless face on the other side of an internet connection up, but beyond that MO isn't even as smooth or playable as some of the most basic FPS shooters. I don't get the sense that I am in a 75+ ton machine of death, striding over the battlefield to kill and be killed. I want to feel like those missiles are going to blow some shit up, or my PPC is going to make you think twice about popping over that ridge.

Well originally all the mechs had their tabletop armor values, but people were complaining that they died quickly, so they doubled the armor values of all mechs and only did slight weapon damage tweaking. That's why missiles and PPCs feel like spitwads.

It's been a very, very long point of contention with a lot of players ever since the choice was made.
It's going to get even more complicated with Endo armor being added. I kind of pity the devs having to make the hard choices. They get a lot of hate no matter what they do.

Pushing the open beta back was a very wise decision. Unlike people that are willing to throw down money on Founder's, the open beta public aren't going to be as favorable, in general. Good word of mouth out the gate from 'the rest of the world' would do this game wonders in the long term.

13. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 18:00 Flatline

I don't think the game is solid or fun at this point. My take is that some are so invested in seeing a successful mech game that they are willing to dismiss obvious and glaring problems. That is just my opinion. The graphics, the 'mech set up, the maps, the teams, the weapons, everything I see needs major tweaking. There is some inherent fun in knowing you are blowing some nameless face on the other side of an internet connection up, but beyond that MO isn't even as smooth or playable as some of the most basic FPS shooters. I don't get the sense that I am in a 75+ ton machine of death, striding over the battlefield to kill and be killed. I want to feel like those missiles are going to blow some shit up, or my PPC is going to make you think twice about popping over that ridge.

Well originally all the mechs had their tabletop armor values, but people were complaining that they died quickly, so they doubled the armor values of all mechs and only did slight weapon damage tweaking. That's why missiles and PPCs feel like spitwads.

It's been a very, very long point of contention with a lot of players ever since the choice was made.

12. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 17:44 RollinThundr

Prez wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 17:30:
In fairness you really have no basis for that statement. The graphics, being subjective, may be far from "fine" for his tastes, and unless you somehow are privy to his system is set up and configuration you have no way of backing up the claim that it is only his system.

I was just pointing out that he isn't playing right is not an explanation for his stated issues with the game.

I don't know what he's expecting from a free to play game, using Cryengine 3. The game is far from terrible looking visually.

11. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 17:30 Prez

In fairness you really have no basis for that statement. The graphics, being subjective, may be far from "fine" for his tastes, and unless you somehow are privy to his system is set up and configuration you have no way of backing up the claim that it is only his system.

I was just pointing out that he isn't playing right is not an explanation for his stated issues with the game.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

10. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 17:25 RollinThundr

Prez wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 17:07:
translation: I lone wolf it and can't understand why I get my ass handed to me.

Eh? The graphics, framerate, and controls would be better/smoother if he stopped lone-wolfing? Huh

I know I am probably starting to sound like a broken record, but dammit I wanted the game they showed in the teaser video. Not this online...thing.

The graphics are fine, it's more than likely his system doesn't like the game, I run at 60-80fps at all times even in heavy combat.

9. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 17:13 Turglar

The matchmaker situation is only temporary. The devs have stated this over and over again and have recently laid out a multi-phase plan to alleviate the major complaints (of PUG players).

Luckily most of the founders have a more long term view of the game and weren't dismayed by the matchmaking. After all, it is incredibly easy to find a group by joining a house or simply connecting to the official unofficial TS3 server which is usually packed with 100 people all looking to group up for drops.

8. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 17:07 Prez

Eh? The graphics, framerate, and controls would be better/smoother if he stopped lone-wolfing? Huh

I know I am probably starting to sound like a broken record, but dammit I wanted the game they showed in the teaser video. Not this online...thing.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

7. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 15:14 Bet

This doesn't seem possible. 40,000 people shelled out $120 for the legendary founders? 20,000 people did legendary founders, and 43,000 people did elite founders. 63 thousand takers?

That's would make it one of the most successful Kickstarter equivalents for games, in the top 5. And this game has a lot of problems for the mass crowd that will 'lone wolf' it like Thundr says.

If they had a proper matchmaker that had fair games for everyone and not just groups, they would have doubled this count. As it was, there was so much grumbling about the matchmaking in-game while Founder's/the NDA was going that I'm really worried about the monetization sustainability, if new players are scared off by pre-made mechs with better armor and weapons than anything the trial mechs can handle.

The good news is, with 60,000 people (sounds like a proper estimate to me, let me know if I'm wrong), that's easily enough to keep a playerbase by itself. F2Pers would just be an infusion of new blood to keep things interesting.

I want this game to do well enough so they can do a Campaign mode of some sort, co-op or otherwise. This is the best mech engine ever.

6. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 15:14 Keith

Your translation skills suck. While I am not afraid to go it alone, I also appreciate the value of good teamwork. MO requires teamwork, imo. I have tried quite a few variants within the allowable framework (e.g. hardpoint types (beam, missile, etc)., and have tried scout, medium, heavy, and assault classes. Each one caters to a different playstyle, as I would expect.
I'm simply no idea where the whole "armor protects core components" comment came from, or the "3 shots" schtick. I am not looking for instant gratification. I am looking for a game that requires teamwork and has the components that made the Battletech universe so interesting to me. Giant Battlemechs that tear the place apart using weapons that would make a modern tank look like a childs toy. Many games have guns and killing; I want one that has a 'mech feel.

5. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 14:26 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 13:22:
Well said, Keith. Pretty much my sentiments on the matter. Plus that and the whole online thing. Sigh.

The game recently got an art pass that makes some of the effects a bit flasher, along with improved lighting and visuals on the whole. It's a unfinshed beta, of course it's not going to be 100% polished or without an issue here or there, though this post screams out exaggeration.

Mechs have armor that protect the core components inside. Run a dual Gauss K2 cat if you want to kill things in 3 shots.

4. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 13:22 Cutter

Well said, Keith. Pretty much my sentiments on the matter. Plus that and the whole online thing. Sigh.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

3. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 12:43 Keith

2. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 12:38 Shataan

ALOT of tweaking.  

1. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 11:42 Techie714 ©

Well that's good news. The game is solid & fun however it needs some more tweaking.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo