Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 19, 2012, 18:16 Ant

jimnms wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 18:25:
I see regular sales of Kaspersky that's free after MIR. I'll stick with MSE though. I've managed to stay virus free for as long as I've been using computers, mainly using common sense...
You don't even need MSE or anything.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 18, 2012, 04:29 Prez

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 03:46:
I've been using Avira free and have not had any problems with viruses/malware in the 3 years that i've been using it.. but the problem is that Avira free is actually Adware in itself, and pops up themed sales windows to upgrade to other services of theirs.

Quite f-ing annoying and there used to be a way to block the messages but they've stopped that as well.

Guess it's time for a switch..

I stopped using Avira because of it. AVG has started doing something similar with its 2013 version but it isn't obtrusive - just annoying.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 18, 2012, 03:46 Mordecai Walfish

I've been using Avira free and have not had any problems with viruses/malware in the 3 years that i've been using it.. but the problem is that Avira free is actually Adware in itself, and pops up themed sales windows to upgrade to other services of theirs.

Quite f-ing annoying and there used to be a way to block the messages but they've stopped that as well.

Guess it's time for a switch..

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 17, 2012, 22:09 Prez

I ping pong back and forth between the free anit-virus offerings. I'm currently on AVG on 2 machines, Avast on 2 others, and a laptop with MS Security Essentials. Problems with viruses or other malware are extremely rare for me.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 17, 2012, 18:25 jimnms

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 11:18:
It is good to see Kaspersky still on top. It goes on sale quiet often in the local BestBuy for $20 for the 3 computer license, so it is cheap to keep the PCs protected.

I see regular sales of Kaspersky that's free after MIR. I'll stick with MSE though. I've managed to stay virus free for as long as I've been using computers, mainly using common sense. My sister on the other hand managed to get infected with viruses no matter what I put on her computer. After I cleaned the last infection from her system I put MSE on it and she hasn't had a virus since.

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 17, 2012, 18:22 HorrorScope

WaltC wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 13:21:
I'll trust Microsoft to keep its OSes secure

People have been locked up for saying less.

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 17, 2012, 15:18 Verno

Most virus authors test heavily against MSE now because its free and highly adopted. It doesn't mean MSE isn't an effective product but it's becoming less so through attrition. In the end you can't really protect against zero day exploits and user stupidity which are the most common vectors so most of these programs serve just fine with few distinctions except for their ability clean up the aftermath.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 17, 2012, 14:58 SpectralMeat

Here is another test site that does independent tests for internet security packages:
http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/mayjun-2012/

MSE doesn't seem so hot on this test either

Steam: SpectralMeat

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 17, 2012, 14:40 nin

I for one would like to know the specifics of how they tested (methodology) and what criteria they used. It seems suspicious to me that MSE would drop from first place into last place

I agree. First bad thing I've heard about MSE.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 17, 2012, 14:12 SpectralMeat

For $20 a year for 3 computers, I couldn't care less. I've heard reports of people getting malware and viruses using MSE. I am sure it depends on what websites you are browsing but still I trust Kaspersky. I've been using it for years on many computers, and never had any issues with it.

I've had ESET on my father in law's PC and he got malware that Kaspersky managed to clean off but MSE failed to do. That is good enough reason for me to trust Kaspersky.

If MSE works for you then don't switch, but like I said for $20 a year for 3 PCs it is a small price to pay for piece of mind, and protection that works.

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 17, 2012, 13:21 WaltC

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 11:18:
It is good to see Kaspersky still on top. It goes on sale quiet often in the local BestBuy for $20 for the 3 computer license, so it is cheap to keep the PCs protected.

I for one would like to know the specifics of how they tested (methodology) and what criteria they used. It seems suspicious to me that MSE would drop from first place into last place--the last evaluations I saw put MSE right up there with K or S. And, I've been using it for years and have never had a problem with it. MSE is free, of course, while the other products cost money. That strikes me as plenty of motivation on the parts of K or S to fund "evaluations" that put the free contender in last place...;)

According to Microsoft, though, Win8 security will exceed Win7 + MSE security ROOB. I believe I'll trust Microsoft to keep its OSes secure, as opposed to S or K. The motivation of Microsoft is to keep its OSes secure, whereas the motivation for S and K is to keep Windows insecure. That's ironic, and exactly why I'll trust Microsoft on the issue of security.

Also, don't know about K, but S is infamous for false positives that actually crash the OS--even as difficult as that is these days. No thanks.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 17, 2012, 11:18 SpectralMeat

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo