Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced

Kerberos Productions announces they've gone "full indie" with the announcement of Sword of the Stars: The Pit, a light-hearted roguelike RPG set in their Sword of the Stars universe. The game is currently in the alpha stage of development, and there is a crowdsourcing campaign underway on Indiegogo to fund the project. The Pit website is online with details and this trailer, and its Facebook page is up if you want to be BFFs. Here's a feature list:

• 3 Characters to choose from…Marine, Pilot and Engineer!
  • Go up levels and improve your skills as you try and find a way to survive the depths.
  • 30 Levels of ancient evil science between you and the cure!
  • Dozens of enemies drawn from the SotSverse!
  • Over 30 weapons and armors with a variety of special effects including flamethrowers, rocket launchers, plasma cannons and powered Brawler armor!
  • Randomized augmentation effects to make each game unique Crafting lets you make special items from bits and pieces of your enemies.
  • Over 60 items to discover, ranging from the familiar to the ancient exotic tech.
  • Dozens of room types containing a host of exotic devices to help and hinder the player
  • Many fiendish ways to die including poisoning, disease, traps, radiation, starvation and of course…MONSTERS.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 17, 2012, 10:16 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 07:17:
Yeah that problem with the gates, i have mentioned it nearly a dozen times now in the forums, is still there. And it is god damn annoying (gets MUCH worse if you are allied with someone).

I don't believe Paradox leaned in at all, if anything they leaned in too little, this is 100% a Kerberos and Mecron failure.

It's kinda hilarious when you set out to make a superior sequel and the first game is better in any way.

SoTS 1 wasn't a gem at launch either. A lot of people who praise SoTS 1 are people who played it after all the expansions were there.

The fact is that 4x games take a lot of time and resources to get to completion. That's not an excuse for Kerberos and how they handled the launch. That was awful.

But I just want to say that a lot of people are saying 'SotS 1 didn't work like this or it did this better.' In many cases it didn't do those things better out of the gate. SoTS1 was six years in development. Even the AI that people are praising took years to get right.

SotS 2 is a more complex game. And no doubt it needs a lot of polish even now. But I don't think they were ever setting out to simply redo SotS 1 with better graphics.

I'll wait and see what it's like after the first expansion. I have a heaping set of games to play in the interim anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 17, 2012, 10:11 Creston

Are these the guys that released that last Sword of the Stars game in basically 100% BROKEN format?

Yeah, I'll be real eager to sign up for your next game, fellas! Rolleyes

Creston

15. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 17, 2012, 07:17 eRe4s3r

Yeah that problem with the gates, i have mentioned it nearly a dozen times now in the forums, is still there. And it is god damn annoying (gets MUCH worse if you are allied with someone).

I don't believe Paradox leaned in at all, if anything they leaned in too little, this is 100% a Kerberos and Mecron failure.

It's kinda hilarious when you set out to make a superior sequel and the first game is better in any way.

14. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 17, 2012, 07:01 Armengar

SOTS2 for me is a miss (last played about june/july this year). Do hivers still have to sit through the battles as observers if they have gates in a system with battling neutrals? That was fun (not). AI was very poor and the UI was iffy.

I still love SOTS1 and want the new ships, combat and tech tree lifting into SOTS1 interface. That would be good.

Simple tasks in SOTS1 are a nightmare in SOTS2, organising planets for colonizing, creating fleets quickly, dragging between fleets etc.

To be fair though, how much of SOTS2 was the publisher leaning on the devs? Given another year it would have been a good launch. Maybe indie funding will work for them. I'll wait till the forums are full of praise though.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

13. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 17, 2012, 05:38 WyldKat

Looks a bit boring, I'll stick with Dungeons of Dredmor for my graphical roguelike.  

12. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 17, 2012, 05:11 eRe4s3r

Heh that is actually even worse. SP Dungeon Crawler from Kerberus.. you just know it's gonna be a huge mess.  

11. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 17, 2012, 04:55 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 03:06:
So they are making SOTS into a MUD?.. Yeah? ... just.. no.. nooo!

Their website says this is singleplayer, so no.

10. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 17, 2012, 04:32 Jerykk

I have to give Kerberos credit for at least trying to fix the game after release. I think they've released at least one patch a week since the game came out almost a year ago.

Granted, they probably don't test these patches very well and end up breaking more stuff with each one, but it's the thought that counts...

9. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 17, 2012, 03:06 eRe4s3r

So they are making SOTS into a MUD?.. Yeah? ... just.. no.. nooo!  

8. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 17, 2012, 01:14 bortin

The combat in SotS 2 is very pretty and it has segment and component destruction and top, bottom, sides for armor that need to be pierced to get to internal damage. Ships have thrust, mass, etc. And you have tiny fighters to leviathan sized ships. It can get pretty complex and you can get tactical with those things to factor in. Though, you can also just drag select and throw them into the mix and hope for the best, so it's not a total chore to pewpew.

The ships and the combat effects in SotS 2 are some of the best I've seen for a 4X game.

Is it fun, but it is hit and miss with some of the battles and how they play out. You'll probably want to give up on the game when you run into one of the "exciting" asteroid deep impact missions. Yes, you just shoot at rocks for 2-5 minutes, even with time acceleration.

The AI is supposed to be beefed up, but I haven't had enough time to try out the newest beta build. The last time I checked in with the AI at any length a month ago, it kept sending piece meal ships at my armada. Supposedly it's been fixed.

The only other space 4x game of quality that comes to mind is Sins of Solar Empire: Rebellion and Endless Space. I tinkered with Endless, and it's very well polished and fun, but the combat can get mind numbingly boring and stale after awhile.

7. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 17, 2012, 00:41 MisterBenn

May I ask you guys about SotS II - what is the amount of completion like currently? Is the combat any good? How is the AI? I looked in the forums and there are certainly people still dissatisfied but there are some more positive voices in the mix too.

I am always on the lookout for another space 4X. Distant Worlds is the one I've played the most recently - I like the empire building, the ship design, the AI and in particular it has the most interesting galaxy that I've seen in one of these games. It evolves well and there are plenty of unique discoveries with an impact on gameplay. On the downside, it's realtime/pausable which is a large downer for me. Also it needs all the expansions for the proper experience and it never became very cheap.

Amazingly I would suggest that they add a turn based mode into the game! You wouldn't expect that sort of retrofitting to be feasible/sensible but the game simulates everything down to the individual moment already and battles are resolved concurrently on the main map so turns could actually be very fluent even with many battles going on. You'd need new sitrep and order management screens to coordinate turns but you'd escape the game currently being single player only. Get some PBW going and the game and forums would be a lot more self-fuelling than they are now. They peter out between patches as it is even though this is a great niche game.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

6. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 17, 2012, 00:10 Keith

I haven't played a good space strategy game for some time. Tried quite a few, too. I really like the Sins series. Anyone got any suggestions for games that are relatively new? No Homeworld plugs, please! (And where btw, is HW 3?)  

5. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 16, 2012, 23:26 bortin

SOTS2, Elemental and Stronghold 3 where games I saw crash and burn on launch. I believed that the devs would patch/enhance them, in time. SH3, from what I read, didn't deliver enough with their patches and re-release, but SOTS2 (and Elemental) have delivered and didn't charge more to do it.

It's still a shame they did release the game in such a CRAPPY STATE. But at least Kerberos stuck with that pile of crap and polished it up to something FUN and UNIQUE for the past year. I think the big "All Clear" patch is about to go live very soon.

I am kind of "meh" about this next big thing from Kerberos. I like Kerberos and their games, but The Pit? I don't see a feature or style that Dungeons of Dredmor doesn't do better. I didn't see anything unique or new about The Pit, other than the whole sci-fi thing. Where the hell is the Northstar info? :p'

4. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 16, 2012, 22:47 Cutter

Lol, no chance in hell.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

3. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 16, 2012, 22:17 Stimpack

Uh, hmmm... well... It's interesting news, to say the least. I don't know how much stock I'd put in it, but I do hope it turns out well. I loved SotS.  

2. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 16, 2012, 22:08 Prez

ASeven wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 22:04:
Who is going to trust these guys ever again after SotSII? The game concept is pretty cool but so was SotSII before it got released.

That is what I was thinking - this is going to be a tough sell to say the least.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 16, 2012, 22:04 ASeven

Who is going to trust these guys ever again after SotSII? The game concept is pretty cool but so was SotSII before it got released.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo