Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition

The Bethesda Blog announces today is the North American release day for the DOOM 3: BFG Edition, an enhanced edition of id Software's first-person shooter series. Here's the Launch Trailer, and here's word:

Relive your favorite moments of DOOM with the newly-released DOOM 3 BFG Edition — available now in North America and this Friday in Europe on Xbox 360, PC, and PlayStation 3!

BFG Edition includes the original versions DOOM and DOOM II, as well as re-mastered versions of DOOM 3 and its Resurrection of Evil add-on pack. And for the first time ever, play eight never-before-seen DOOM 3 levels in ‘The Lost Mission’.

Later today, PS3 players will be able to download the game directly on PSN. And if you already own DOOM 3 on Steam, between now and November 13th you can save $10 on your purchase.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 18, 2012, 11:00 Beamer

I'd say Doom 3 was a victim of its need to be cutting edge. Carmack prioritized lighting effects above all. I think, in Dev's terms about Valve, that's the challenge that was interesting to him.

It made for some awesome imagery, but it didn't lead to entertaining gameplay.

It's fun to watch the new Notch game video and realize that it has the exact same dynamic lighting effects that we drooled over in Doom 3 trailers.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 18, 2012, 10:57 Quinn

hb3d wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 18:42:
Prez wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 17:23:
The biggest thing I think was that it was pretty jarring for Doom fans that the series went from visceral run and gun to survival horror.
Doom 3's gameplay was a victim of the PC technology of the time. Recreating the Doom/Doom II experience with all of those enemies and items on the screen at once simply wasn't possible with the hardware available at the time of Doom 3's development since Carmack was pushing the game to have leading edge visuals. Sure, he could have made the game less demanding like Serious Sam and recreated the original experience, but that is not what he and id wanted. It also wouldn't have sold a lot of hardware upgrades like Doom 3 did which is what hardware vendors wanted.

However this is now 2012, and one big reason this re-release of the game is such a letdown is that Bethesda/id didn't use the opportunity to make the new "lost" missions in the game take advantage of the prevalent graphics hardware of the past eight years since Doom 3's release to recreate the original Doom gameplay experience in the Doom 3 engine.

I don't agree at all with this assesment.

Rather than to say Doom 3 was a victim of the PC technology of the time, you can instead say that the original Doom was simply the product of the technology of the time.

Doom had rooms full of zerging monsters because that's what the FPS games were like, back then. I don't think it was such a USP-ish concious decision. To completely redo the third game in that same fashion wouldn't make as much sense as you think, imho.

I personally think -- and Prez can laugh at this -- that Doom 3 wasn't bad at all. It was too long, yes, but not a bad game. To me, it felt like it held true to the original concept of the game. Familiar enemies returned, etc.

To basically say Doom 3 wasn't good because it wasn't Serious Sam in a demon coat is stupid.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 18, 2012, 07:22 avianflu

It is easy to forget that FarCry's giant, detailed, and well-scaled outdoor levels happened 6 months before Doom 3's release. And you could run and gun if desired, or stealth it up. Then Doom3 released.  

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 18, 2012, 04:15 Kajetan

hb3d wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 18:42:
Doom 3's gameplay was a victim of the PC technology of the time.
Thats a cheap excuse. When you compare the gameplay of Doom 3 with the gameplay of its addon ... Doom 3 was clearly a game design failure. They tried to do survival horror while holding on to traditional shooter elements, forcing the player to feel vulnerable with slow movement and weak weapons. Nerve just made a solid & fun shooter. With the same tech, for the same hardware base.

Heck, just play Doom 3 with some mods like duct tape & Doom classic weapon mods. Faster gameplay, satisfying combat. Good game.

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 17, 2012, 18:42 hb3d

Prez wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 17:23:
The biggest thing I think was that it was pretty jarring for Doom fans that the series went from visceral run and gun to survival horror.
Doom 3's gameplay was a victim of the PC technology of the time. Recreating the Doom/Doom II experience with all of those enemies and items on the screen at once simply wasn't possible with the hardware available at the time of Doom 3's development since Carmack was pushing the game to have leading edge visuals. Sure, he could have made the game less demanding like Serious Sam and recreated the original experience, but that is not what he and id wanted. It also wouldn't have sold a lot of hardware upgrades like Doom 3 did which is what hardware vendors wanted.

However this is now 2012, and one big reason this re-release of the game is such a letdown is that Bethesda/id didn't use the opportunity to make the new "lost" missions in the game take advantage of the prevalent graphics hardware of the past eight years since Doom 3's release to recreate the original Doom gameplay experience in the Doom 3 engine.

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 17, 2012, 18:38 Prez

I guess I'm somehow not of this planet.

Well, then let me, on behalf of all of humanity, welcome you to planet Earth! Being an alien and all I guess the concept of difference of opinions is alien to you. Ha! See what I did there? Here on our planet, what one person finds loathsome another may find inoffensive and fun. Hope that helps; please don't melt my brain with your death ray!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. It's a console bargain-bin game without the bargain bin price. Oct 17, 2012, 18:33 hb3d

Flatline wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 18:22:
This is a bargain-bin release.
but with a $30 pricetag instead of $5 or $10

What makes this re-release of the game especially exasperating for PC gamers is that it is a consolized bastardization of a classic PC game. Even if you didn't like Doom 3, you still have to admit that the PC version of the game is still a PC game in terms of features (game settings, SDK, dedicated server multiplayer, etc.). This re-release of the game is a classic example of what is wrong with PC games today. You don't save PC gaming by turning the PC into a game console.

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 17, 2012, 18:22 Flatline

I'm still wondering why a minor/moderate overhaul of such an old game is actually news. Especially when you can replicate the experience with some mods. This is a bargain-bin release.  

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 17, 2012, 18:15 Quinn

My goodness, Rage was good ("in many ways")?!

I guess I'm somehow not of this planet.

Rage would have been good in the earliest years of 2000, maybe. If it wasn't for the vehicles I would've guessed the game didn't even have a proper physics engine -- corpses surely didn't!

The graphics looked horribly crap. Shadows looked moreso like ugly phlegms of green than actually shadows. And not to mention the texture pop-ups. Actually the entire game was a freaking insult to the entire PC platform.

Rage was good. Heh...

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 17, 2012, 17:23 Prez

Rage was pretty cool in many ways, but the texture pop-in was beyond ridiculous and the game world was so lifeless it felt like they just phoned it in. Especially compared to Borderlands 2, which made the world of Pandora feel rich and alive.

Doom 3 was a weird game. At first it was majorly overrated, but soon after people started realizing the review scores were inflated then it became over-*hated*. Yeah the monster closets were cheap and got old fast but it wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be, at least not to me. The biggest thing I think was that it was pretty jarring for Doom fans that the series went from visceral run and gun to survival horror.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 17, 2012, 17:04 christheshitter

avianflu wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 16:43:
I will never forget the shock and disappointment of running the Doom 3 demo.

How come?

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 17, 2012, 16:43 avianflu

I will never forget the shock and disappointment of running the Doom 3 demo.

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 17, 2012, 15:59 Beamer

MajorD wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 10:12:
Again, id should have remained independent.

I don't think they had a choice.
And I don't see any way to say Rage suffered from id being bought. It gave id more money to work with.

This is absolutely a cash grab due to Rage being so underperforming, but that doesn't bug me. I don't want it, I won't buy it. I doubt many will. But I firmly believe id had no choice but to sell.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 17, 2012, 15:53 Verno

Rage was a really unambitious, mediocre game. It has a few stand out elements but they are never really tied well into the rest of the game. It's a game of a half-measures and that's really unfortunate considering the amount of time and money that went into it. It would have been an outstanding game maybe 5-6 years ago.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 17, 2012, 13:03 MajorD

netnerd85 wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 11:36:

Indeed,

RAGE is awesome though

I guess RAGE is either a love or hate game; however, I wouldn't say I hate it, but I will say it was a total let down for me. Low rez textures, pop-in textures, invisible walls, poor level design, etc. People will defend it by saying, “But it is a true id software run-and-gun game, so what do you expect?” Well, the game had too many invisible walls that were poorly implemented through bad level designs – heck, going down a stairwell; I couldn’t even jump over the railing due to invisible walls there too. I know it isn’t this type of game, but the environment(s) weren’t open or interactive in the least, which just rendered the game experience to feel flat and un-immersive. This is the year 2012 (2011 when released), so id really needs to catch-up with their engine designs. But, but, it could run 60 FPS on both consoles and PCs. Yes, it was silky smooth, I’ll give it that, but that isn’t what makes a great immersive game.

Anyway, I am ranting and beating a dead horse. If you like, that is great. :-) I don’t, and I am still obviously soured about it. ;-)

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 17, 2012, 11:36 netnerd85

Indeed,

RAGE is awesome though

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 17, 2012, 10:12 MajorD

Total money grab from an old IP, since there last/new IP was a flop. Waste of money for the PC gamer, but good for those on the consoles.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2012, 06:09 Rigs

You guys are too fuckin' picky!

I know, I know, don't give me the riot act. For the 'hardcore gamer' tag I routinely use (and throw around at the all-night parties with the ladies...at Denny's), I never did finish Doom3. In fact, I don't think I got more than 15% into it! Same with Quake4. Hell, even less with Quake4, I got to the point in the beginning where you have to go back and get the medic and bring him back. That's as FAR as I got...lol...it just didn't interest me much. I got further in Republic Commandos than Quake4 even! I guess I'm spoiled on per-location damage and severed limbs/full dismemberment mods. I just can't go back to shooting something and just getting a generic puff of blood with no visual effect...yeah, who's being picky now, eh?

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

17. Re: Don't forget Steam and P2P Multiplayer only. Oct 17, 2012, 04:48 Kajetan

Jerykk wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 04:27:
As an aside, I thought the Resurrection of Evil expansion was better than the core game. At the very least, the final boss was much better.
The addon was overall a far better experience. Monster placements, level design, gameplay mechanics, gameplay speed. RoE felt like a good shooter, not this overused, forced (and therefore quickly boring) "survival horror gameplay" of Doom 3.

16. Re: Don't forget Steam and P2P Multiplayer only. Oct 17, 2012, 04:27 Jerykk

This seems redundant for PC gamers. Original Doom 3 + Sikk mod + Wulfen's texture mod + flashlight duct tape mod > BFG Edition.

As an aside, I thought the Resurrection of Evil expansion was better than the core game. At the very least, the final boss was much better.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo