Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Path of Exile Act 3 Details

Grinding Gear Games announces details about the third act of Path of Exile, their free-to-play action/RPG currently undergoing beta testing. The beta is available to anyone who has pre-purchased USD $10.00 of he game's "ethical microtransactions," though there are also random invites to be had. Here's word on Act 3, as well as an upcoming patch to add PvP arena combat to the game:

Upcoming dark and deep indie action RPG Path of Exile has unveiled details of its Act 3 expansion. Set in the ruined city of Sarn, players will face those who exiled them to Wraeclast and how it was corrupted.

Act 3 will become available when Path of Exile enters Open Beta in December. The game is currently in Closed Beta but has already raised over USD$1.2m in crowd-funded support, with those supporters gaining beta access.

PvP arena combat will be introduced in the next major patch, making the wait for Act 3 more bearable but bloodier. The game’s gigantic skill tree and skill gem combo system means thousands of unique character builds will be able to challenge each other.

“Act 3 adds an extra 50% of content to Path of Exile’s world,” says Grinding Gear Games producer Chris Wilson. “Our already gritty game gets a lot darker as players explore Sarn and witness the full extent of the corruption and cataclysm. High-level characters will really enjoy some of the enemy encounters and combat challenges.”

Path of Exile’s lore and mysteries deepens as you explore Sarn’s abandoned docks, markets, temples and sewers. For reasons unknown, General Gravicius and the Ebony Legion have sailed from your homeland Oriath to scour Sarn for its secrets, joining Piety of Theopolis in a race against the player to plunder Sarn’s tombs for wealth and power.

In the Solaris Temple, a magical army of floating constructs known as the Ribbons continually sterilize the temple even as the centuries wear on. Even though thaumaturgist Malachai the Soulless is long dead, evidence of his dark experiments remain.

In addition to undead, magical constructs and corrupted horrors, players will encounter some unlikely allies. An encampment of exiles survive on the man-made island in the middle of the river, led by wise and well-spoken Karui warrior Maramoa.

When released, the game will be free to play, but not ‘pay-to-win’. The game is currently in a Closed Beta, but fans who pre-purchase at least USD$10 of credit for the game’s ‘ethical microtransactions’ receive a beta key. Beta keys are also regularly awarded to random community members.

To take part, sign up at www.pathofexile.com

About Sarn: A shattered city, a sinister mystery, a land tainted with insanity.
You’re standing at the edge of Sarn, the ruined capital of the Eternal Empire. Not so eternal now. Its citizenry is gone, taken by death and undeath in equal measures. Where hawkers shouted their bargains, ladies browsed for silks, young lovers walked hand in hand... creatures of nightmare stalk and feed. Beasts born of corruption. The restless dead, bitter and lethal. A cursed city of painful promises and preternatural peril.

You are an exile, banished for your crimes to Wraeclast, and given a life sentence in the land of the damned. But Wraeclast wasn’t always like this. It was once an empire of ten million souls, a beautiful and bountiful continent that prospered for more than a thousand years.

Something happened. A cataclysm. A corruption beyond reason. Wraeclast took itself off to bed one balmy evening and, come morning, it failed to wake. It slumbers, tossing and turning in the perpetual nightmare that enslaved it during the darkest hours.

Players must fight their way through the necropolis to answer a question: Who murdered Wraeclast?

You’re not alone in your curiosity. Others explore the twisted capital city of the Eternal Empire. The Ebony Legion has sailed from Oriath to scour Sarn for its secrets... avaricious maggots on a fecund carcass. General Gravicius plunders its tombs for wealth and power.

Piety of Theopolis harnesses corruption like a lover to her bedhead. Her lovely visage hides an imagination most monstrous.

Is everyone and everything in Sarn out to kill or maim you beyond recognition? Pretty much... with a few exceptions. As a fellow exile, Hargan, will tell you: “Welcome to dirty, old Sarn, the metropolis of opportunity. The opportunity to make something of yourself or the opportunity to have a very messy death.”

Key features of ‘Path of Exile’:

• A dark and deep action RPG
  • Build unlimited unique characters on a gigantic skill tree
  • Combine over 110 skill gems to create unique combat strategies
  • Explore a dark and gritty world rendered from a fixed 3D perspective
  • Download and play for free, but never ‘pay-to-win’
  • Explore randomly generated levels for extreme replayability
  • Craft weapons, magic items and even end-game maps to become more powerful
  • Cooperate or compete with thousands of other exiles in a persistent online world
  • Ascend online ladders in every game mode
  • Battle in PVP tournaments for worldwide recognition

View gameplay footage at www.youtube.com/grindinggear

HD trailers are available from www.pathofexile.com/video

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Path of Exile Act 3 Details Oct 19, 2012, 00:51 Wowbagger_TIP

I've been playing PoE off and on for several months now. I really don't understand the complaints about it not having a story, as it's been in closed beta and they've intentionally been withholding the story elements until open beta. I still don't expect it to be anything amazing, but probably on par with most arpg fare.

The passive skill tree is a bit daunting at first, but they've done a lot in the last few patches to make it easier for those starting out so that they don't gimp their chars right from the start. They've also done more to make it easier to navigate and added icons for skill clusters to show what they pertain to. Just go to the website and check out their passive skill tree tool there. It's fun to just plan out a build with the tool.

The skill gem/support gem system is a lot of fun and they've been continually adding more all the time. There's like 9 more skill/support gems being added in the minor patch coming out either Friday or Monday, along with some more unique items as well.

I kind of like the currency system. Currency items are useful rather than just a number. They do need a better way for players to trade items with each other rather than just dropping things on the ground, but they are planning to have that in place by the time open beta starts.

It's a very different game from BL2 or TL2, but I think it's more engaging in a lot of ways. There's definitely a lot more flexibility and room for creativity in creating your build. I've seen some crazy stuff, and the cool thing is that even a lot of those crazy builds work pretty well. I'm sure it's a game I'm going to be playing for a long time.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Path of Exile Act 3 Details Oct 18, 2012, 04:35 Prez

If I am ever to like a Free-to-Play game I imagine Path of Exile has the best chance, me being an ARPG nut. I played Din's Curse and really liked it (though I gave it up in favor of Torchlight 2 when it shipped since I had been wanting it forever), and I can't think of a ARPG with lower production values than that one, so PoE may be okay for me - I had just better be able to play it solo with a less than ultra-optimum build. We'll see.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Path of Exile Act 3 Details Oct 17, 2012, 13:21 Axis

Arpgs are about character building, loot hunting, economy, and engaging (aka fun) replayability to keep you playing - all of which PoE is superior in every way to ANYTHING out there now and likely to be in the future.

PoE aims to keep the softcore crowd out -- I'm happy to keep those folks trolling in the D3 forums or lanning up on TL2 pretending they're gods of dps (TL2 has so few players now multi'd anyway, do a refresh once in awhile)

This notion that ARPG's have to have an incredible story is laughable. The story takes you through the game once. D3 had a "HUGE" story and it was stupid as shit, didn't fix the comatose gameplay, char building, loot hunting or replayabiliy.

Solid GAMEPLAY keeps you playing. Character building keeps you playing. Meaningful loot hunts for a thriving economy keep you playing.

I was done with TL2 halfway through it's so generic, and BL2 was just a reboot of BL1 with new dialog.

This new crop of arpgs give me no desire to keep playing because the CHARACTER BUILDING is generic on rails, LOOT HUNTING is meaningless because character building sucks, and ECONOMY non existent -- all of which makes it NOT engaging replayability.

Again you don't have to agree, but after the game is released to the public reviews will be gushing, hordes will be playing.

You go ahead and copy paste that right now, I know what I'm talking about.

Yours truly,

Axis

10. Re: Path of Exile Act 3 Details Oct 17, 2012, 13:04 Jivaro

Grim Dawn can't come fast enough so we can have a massive fanboy fight between all four games. Maybe even get a bunch of Blues folks to meet at a steel cage and have a last man standing match or something.

The PoE fans could wear little speedos that say "you aren't hardcore enough for this" on the ass.

The Torchlight 2 fans have boxers that say "horse level on the front" across the butt.

The Diablo 3 fans will wear fur loincloths and a tiara.

The Grim Dawn fans uniforms are still to be determined. We can envision a placeholder pair of sweats with the words "Fuck magic wands, I have a gun" down the side of one leg.

At some point during this massive fight the participants will notice that Jay Wilson is the referee. Since everyone agrees he needs his ass kicked, the Diablo 3 fans beat him with his own shoes while the other fans hold him down...screaming "I gave you the best 10 years of my life!!! Look what you did with them!"

I am going to go have a cup of coffee now. Apparently I need it.

9. Re: Path of Exile Act 3 Details Oct 17, 2012, 12:53 Trevellian

I found this game incredibly boring and mundane from the start. Cram hit it spot on with the Poor mans FFX Sphere Grid. It's great for players who understand it, which I immediately got the hang of having played FF, but I could see where someone who has never seen anything like it before would hate it.

The fact of the matter is I play games for entertainment, and PoE has absolutely no entertainment value for me. The story is nonexistant, it's still an RPG, it still needs a damn good story. Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 are BOTH vastly superior in that department and have thus completely captivated my attention, PoE will never manage that.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

8. Re: Path of Exile Act 3 Details Oct 17, 2012, 10:22 Yakubs

Cram wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 03:35:

So, basically, you think production values are the most important aspect of a video game. OK.

I've played through only a part of PoE (I'm waiting to continue playing until open beta starts so I don't lose my characters) but what I've seen so far blows Diablo 3 out of the water.

I've played TL2 and so far they're about even but I think they serve different sub-audiences in this genre. TL2 is easier, more casual, but also more immediately "fun." PoE feels meatier, more serious, and for that reason I think PoE will have a better "end-game" -- but that's speculation.

7. Re: Path of Exile Act 3 Details Oct 17, 2012, 09:20 Verno

Cram wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 03:35:
RailWizard wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 00:02:
That seems to be half a fact since I see just as many people saying it's boring generic crap. I never played it, and doubt I will, so there is that. heh.

I have had trouble on Bluesnews trying to separate those that truly appreciate PoE to those that just use PoE as ammo to bash Diablo 3. 95% of the time the game is brought up is in a Diablo 3 related thread where the topic has turned sour and people are using PoE to bash D3 without providing examples of proof why PoE is > *.

I watched Kripparrian play for about 20 mins on twitch when they gave him exclusive beta access with live commentary with the director a little while back. Kripp sounded more bored than even I was playing this. But I know many people don't give a crap about Kripp.

It is boring generic crap. I played through the beta once and a half a couple months ago. Things probably changed again. My impression from two months ago. The isometic view is far too top down and your char takes up too much screen space, it makes me want to zoom out and I can't. The graphics look plasticity, like how models and textures look in the Doom 3/Tech 4 engine. Way too shiny and distracting. The inventory system is worse than Diablo 2's; there's no defense for this, they've de-evolved here. I don't like the currency system, but this critic is a matter of preference as I appreciate what they're trying to do but I can't be bothered. The attribute/skill upgrade system is a farse, it is made to look massive but it is a poor mans Final Fantasy X sphere grid system, most upgrades are on their own almost worthless and for a newbie I could see how it would be overwhelmingly intimidating. The story, what story? WHAT STORY?

The music and sound is excellent though, kudos there.

I get this game planned to be released free to play, at this rate by 2018, and is in beta but I don't get people using this game in its current state as bash ammo against games like TL2 and Diablo 3. I'm sure many improvements will be made to all my issues way before release, but right now PoE has absolutely nothing on either of TL2 or D3, and I just made a post last night bashing Diablo 3 after being extremely let down by it incase anyone here think's I am a Diablo zealot. I've never been more pissed about how a game turned out than Diablo 3.

I had some different issues with Path of Exile but for the most part your post is spot on. The production value just isn't there and I didn't really enjoy the core gameplay very much.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

6. Re: Path of Exile Act 3 Details Oct 17, 2012, 08:41 Axis

Cram I won't pick apart your post because I care less who gets to enjoy it or not - but it's obvious you never played it, or played very little.

I'll go so far to say anyone who actually played Diablo2 extensively would agree that PoE is its logical successor in almost every way including new innovation toward the genre.

Add that the developing team is one of the most responsive, involved, and adept, and the community is one of the best out there, you are only fooling yourself if you don't think it's worth a look.

Yours truly,

Axis

5. Re: Path of Exile Act 3 Details Oct 17, 2012, 05:45 WyldKat

Kripp is a complete, exploiting, douchebag, but everything Cram has said about PoE is right.  

4. Re: Path of Exile Act 3 Details Oct 17, 2012, 03:35 Cram

RailWizard wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 00:02:
That seems to be half a fact since I see just as many people saying it's boring generic crap. I never played it, and doubt I will, so there is that. heh.

I have had trouble on Bluesnews trying to separate those that truly appreciate PoE to those that just use PoE as ammo to bash Diablo 3. 95% of the time the game is brought up is in a Diablo 3 related thread where the topic has turned sour and people are using PoE to bash D3 without providing examples of proof why PoE is > *.

I watched Kripparrian play for about 20 mins on twitch when they gave him exclusive beta access with live commentary with the director a little while back. Kripp sounded more bored than even I was playing this. But I know many people don't give a crap about Kripp.

It is boring generic crap. I played through the beta once and a half a couple months ago. Things probably changed again. My impression from two months ago. The isometic view is far too top down and your char takes up too much screen space, it makes me want to zoom out and I can't. The graphics look plasticity, like how models and textures look in the Doom 3/Tech 4 engine. Way too shiny and distracting. The inventory system is worse than Diablo 2's; there's no defense for this, they've de-evolved here. I don't like the currency system, but this critic is a matter of preference as I appreciate what they're trying to do but I can't be bothered. The attribute/skill upgrade system is a farse, it is made to look massive but it is a poor mans Final Fantasy X sphere grid system, most upgrades are on their own almost worthless and for a newbie I could see how it would be overwhelmingly intimidating. The story, what story? WHAT STORY?

The music and sound is excellent though, kudos there.

I get this game planned to be released free to play, at this rate by 2018, and is in beta but I don't get people using this game in its current state as bash ammo against games like TL2 and Diablo 3. I'm sure many improvements will be made to all my issues way before release, but right now PoE has absolutely nothing on either of TL2 or D3, and I just made a post last night bashing Diablo 3 after being extremely let down by it incase anyone here think's I am a Diablo zealot. I've never been more pissed about how a game turned out than Diablo 3.

3. Re: Path of Exile Act 3 Details Oct 17, 2012, 00:02 RailWizard

Axis wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 22:57:

You don't have to agree with me, I'm just stating a fact.

2. Re: Path of Exile Act 3 Details Oct 16, 2012, 22:57 Axis

Game owns anything "arpg" that has been recently released and will continue to own anything coming out within the next year -- especilly for a majority of old school arpg's who cut their teeth on Diablo.

You don't have to agree with me, I'm just stating a fact.

Yours truly,

Axis

1. Re: Path of Exile Act 3 Details Oct 16, 2012, 21:59 jacobvandy

It's been a while since I played this, but I will definitely be going back once Act 3 is out. Gonna have to restart my characters anyway because of all the major balance changes, so might as well wait a bit longer for the new content.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo