Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal

The Kickstarter Page for Project Eternity announces one final dramatic stretch goal for Obsidian's upcoming RPG if it reaches the $4 million mark, as it currently stands at over $3.7 million with four hours to go (thanks nin). Here's word:

OK! After much team deliberation we have one final ultimate stretch goal. At $4.0m we will be enhancing the whole game. We will use live instrumentation for the soundtrack, add developer in-game commentary, and use every dollar between $3.5m and $4m to enhance the game. Also at $4.0m Chris Avellone will be forced to play Arcanum.

We are streaming live now on Twitch and UStream. We will be playing board games, answering your questions, and having fun!

View
115 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

115. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 17, 2012, 09:23 John

nin wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 09:08:
13's still a nice number. If they could somehow play off the idea of how, in RL (w/o breaking the 4th wall), we don't go to the 13th floor, due to some giant horrible, adventurer eating boss down there, so much the better.

Sounds good to me!

This space is available for rent
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

114. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 17, 2012, 09:08 nin

Creston wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 08:15:
John wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 00:45:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 00:36:
Does anyone know what the final number of levels is for The Endless Paths?

There were the original three, two for the 40k+ Likes on FB...
There are currently 13 levels I believe including the one additional from FB likes. They only got about 24k Likes on their FB page. The 40k+ Likes on the KS page were only for the PE KS page and not Obsidian which I don't think counted.

I am sure there were enough Paypal backers to increase the number to at least 14 though because only 1014 more were needed for the next level.

They confirmed when it reached 13 levels (3 original, 1 for FB likes, and 9 for the 50K backers to 73K = 9x2500.) Whether there were enough Paypal backers to bump it another, I don't know. The Shadowrun guys said they only got about 7% (IIRC) of their backers through PP, but that's likely not a number that tracks over to other games.

Creston

13's still a nice number. If they could somehow play off the idea of how, in RL (w/o breaking the 4th wall), we don't go to the 13th floor, due to some giant horrible, adventurer eating boss down there, so much the better.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

113. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 17, 2012, 08:31 Mashiki Amiketo

Lorcin wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 22:05:
Really polite and not drunk 21 units of alcohol version of saying it. Kickstarter needs to massively improve it's international appeal - there has been a LOT of games I would have supported aside from the fact I couldn't work out couldn't be bothered to find out what they wanted in my monetary terms.
Beh. Just do the conversion yourself, and stop complaining. Welcome to Canada or something, you know we're right next door to the US and have been doing it for decades. Where the currency can flux as much as a nickle or more in a day. Since there are sites like xe.com, it's not exactly difficult, you can plug in the entire amount and it'll tell you the market value--not the bank value of the transaction. Usually that's another 3-8%.

And up until the last 5 years or so, the difference between our two currencies has been at least 30-40c/dollar or more.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

112. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 17, 2012, 08:15 Creston

John wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 00:45:

There are currently 13 levels I believe including the one additional from FB likes. They only got about 24k Likes on their FB page. The 40k+ Likes on the KS page were only for the PE KS page and not Obsidian which I don't think counted.

I am sure there were enough Paypal backers to increase the number to at least 14 though because only 1014 more were needed for the next level.

They confirmed when it reached 13 levels (3 original, 1 for FB likes, and 9 for the 50K backers to 73K = 9x2500.) Whether there were enough Paypal backers to bump it another, I don't know. The Shadowrun guys said they only got about 7% (IIRC) of their backers through PP, but that's likely not a number that tracks over to other games.

Creston

111. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 17, 2012, 08:12 Creston

Tom wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 23:37:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 22:59:
I'm not sure why but something deep down just feels off about this Kickstarter.

Yeah I get that feeling too. I think it's their presentation. They just seem to be going all out for max $$$ with no humility. Kind of the opposite of FTL perhaps. Of course, very different situations.

What? They have continuously, and I do mean CONTINUOUSLY, posted things like "thank you" and "you are awesome" and "thanks for all the confidence in us."

What did you want them to do? Ask for 40K, and then post updates like "It's really cool of you guys to want to give us more money, but really, no. Just give it to charity instead!"

Stretch goals help boost your funding, that's a simple fact. But they ARE stretch goals that place a burden on them as well, so it's not as if they're saying "When we reach 3 million, we're going to eat at Mahogany's steak house and drink 2000 dollar bottles of wine!" All the content they have promised needs to be delivered, and they know full well they need to hire additional people (or at least divert people from within their team) to be able to make those stretch goals.

Their last two stretch goals involve massive amounts of work, and they put them up as a "Well, IF we make this, we'll do something awesome with it." Then, when they were looking at going over 3.5M, they had to scramble to come up with something else literally on the last day. I would have personally liked to have seen more clarity on where the 4M stretch goal funds were being spent, but on the flipside I didn't up my pledge for that goal anyway, so eh.

Did they want to try to get the most money they could? Of course they did. More money means they can make a bigger / better game. Why is that a bad thing? We're all going to get a better game out of it.

Creston

110. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 17, 2012, 05:33 Cram

Was at work during the "final countdown" at 6pm PST. Just watched a replay on twitch. Epic and kinda emotional. Drunken crazies...

Congrats Obsidian.

109. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 17, 2012, 03:55 Cram

$270. Uber Collectors Edition with the physical soundtrack.
My justification is going off the post-work beer for a month, which would add up to about that much over a month in tip money (for what I spend on the beer in that period). What a sh*tshow this whole thing has been, from the second it started.

108. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 17, 2012, 00:45 John

107. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 17, 2012, 00:36 Paranoid Jack

There were the original three, two for the 40k+ Likes on FB, and one for each 2.5k backs above 50k... so nine more there. Plus I am hoping they will add the number of PayPal backers to the current Kickstarter total of 73,986 which would mean at least another level or possibly two.

So we are currently at 14 levels, right? Add PayPal would be 15 or more....

106. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 16, 2012, 23:56 John

They just want to make the best game they can, and the more money they get can help them do that. They're excited to do it just like the backer are excited about the final product. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Them adding additional levels to the dungeon was only based off number of backers, not money.

105. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 16, 2012, 23:37 Tom

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 22:59:
I'm not sure why but something deep down just feels off about this Kickstarter.

Yeah I get that feeling too. I think it's their presentation. They just seem to be going all out for max $$$ with no humility. Kind of the opposite of FTL perhaps. Of course, very different situations.

104. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 16, 2012, 22:59 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 20:08:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 20:07:
Ok so if everything from 3.5 to 4 mill is to enhance the game, wtf is being done with all the money past the initial kickstarter?

Did you even bother reading the stretch goals?

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see Obsidian finally get away from bug ridden messes with Fallout NV and it's DLC, but they had alot more time on previous games, and expect to have this released in April?

April 2014. Not this April.

Creston

I did, but if you are asking people for money you put on your best 'slut outfit' (Chris Rock joke), and about 10 layers of chapstick and your best pair of kneepads. I'm not sure why but something deep down just feels off about this Kickstarter.

And yeah I was a year off, my bad

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

103. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 16, 2012, 22:36 John

Yeah, they're supposed to keep their Paypal backer page up for a few more days at least so you can back there if you want. Now you know what the conversion rate is so you don't have to worry about that anymore.  

102. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 16, 2012, 22:05 Lorcin

John wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 21:58:
Lorcin wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 21:25:
I only want local pricing - is that a big fucking ask?
No, I think it would be a good idea too but KS could do a lot of things to improve their site. I was just wondering if you knew about the PE before today because it sounded like you didn't have much time to decide. No biggie though, the game will be available for sale once it's finished and they may even keep Paypal open for those who missed the KS campaign.

Really polite and not drunk 21 units of alcohol version of saying it. Kickstarter needs to massively improve it's international appeal - there has been a LOT of games I would have supported aside from the fact I couldn't work out couldn't be bothered to find out what they wanted in my monetary terms.

101. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 16, 2012, 22:03 nin

Yeah, so anyway...

Greetings from Amazon Payments,

We wanted to let you know that we successfully completed a payment to Obsidian Entertainment, Inc. for $225.00 on Oct 16, 2012.

That was quick!

100. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 16, 2012, 22:02 Mr. Tact

Lorcin wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 21:57:
OFC I could work out the prices myself etc but why should I.
Because it was part of your decision process?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

99. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 16, 2012, 22:01 Lorcin

nin wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 21:55:

They also offered paypal. Do they do currency conversion or not? I can't remember...

That's nice too - want to buy my alienware desktop for only 17,000,000BJP? Oh sorry do you know what that is in your local currency? Oh well fuck you - agree to buy it and we'll tell you what it costs.

98. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 16, 2012, 21:58 John

Lorcin wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 21:25:
I only want local pricing - is that a big fucking ask?
No, I think it would be a good idea too but KS could do a lot of things to improve their site. I was just wondering if you knew about the PE before today because it sounded like you didn't have much time to decide. No biggie though, the game will be available for sale once it's finished and they may even keep Paypal open for those who missed the KS campaign.

Edit: Actually it looks like their Paypal site is still up! You should try there if you got Paypal.

97. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 16, 2012, 21:57 Lorcin

Dev wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 21:43:
Google can help you with the pricing. In fact (just like math problems) it shows the answer right at the top of google, you don't have to visit any other sites. Check the links I posted.

Seriously why should I have to google prices - this is a major failing of kickstarter. OFC I could work out the prices myself etc but why should I.

96. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 16, 2012, 21:55 nin

Lorcin wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 21:47:
nin wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 21:28:
A big fucking ask indeed!

I know - I'm a horrible person. How could I not want to know the current US>GBP exchange rate in my head. Of course I should instantly be able to convert the two currencies and it's ridiculous of me too want a website to list the price in my local currency.

They also offered paypal. Do they do currency conversion or not? I can't remember...

115 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo