Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty

2K Games announces the release of Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty, the first of four announced add-on campaigns for Borderlands 2, Gearbox Software's recently released first-person RPG/shooter sequel. The DLC, now available for the Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 editions of the game, adds new characters, locations, and weapons. "We’re so excited at how the Borderlands 2 experience continues to grow with Captain Scarlett and her Pirate’s Booty and the fifth playable character class, the Mechromancer," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. "With hours of new story-driven content to play through and an entirely new character to play as, gamers are getting a lot of additional value. The really exciting part is that we’re just getting started." Here are some screenshots, here's a trailer (as a bonus, here's a new trailer showing off the Mechromancer preorder DLC), and here's word:

2K Games and Gearbox Software announced today that the first add-on content campaign for Borderlands® 2, Captain Scarlett and her Pirate’s Booty, is now available for download worldwide on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC. In Captain Scarlett and her Pirate’s Booty, up to four players cooperatively enter the hostile sand dunes and wastelands of Pirate Bay in search of ancient treasures. The add-on content campaign features new characters, including the eccentric and eager Shade; locations such as the town of Oasis; enemies including the Sand Pirates and Anchormen; and special weapons and loot that make it a must-play experience. No trip to Pandora is complete without a stop in Pirate Bay.

Captain Scarlett and the Pirate’s Booty is the first of four add-on content campaigns for Borderlands 2. These four add-on content campaigns will be available individually or as a combined purchase of the Borderlands 2 Season Pass. This special offer, available now, includes nearly $40.00 of add-on content and is available for $29.99 (PlayStation®Network) / 2400 Microsoft Points (Xbox LIVE® online entertainment network) / $29.99 (Windows PC). Once purchased, the Borderlands 2 Season Pass enables gamers to download all of the announced add-on content campaigns as they become available on the PlayStation®Network, Xbox LIVE and Windows PC. All four add-on content campaigns are scheduled to be available by June 2013.

View
75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

75. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 17, 2012, 12:29 PHJF

4806 Kelvin is nothing to sneeze at.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

74. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 17, 2012, 12:09 Trevellian

Creston wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 12:01:
Trevellian wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 11:27:

It definitely helps... for instance, Gaige's Interspersed Outburst (Which the very first shot slags the target) allows me to do this:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=103089596
With a Tediore Reload after firing 1 bullet. Yep. Ridiculous I know. But so so beautiful to see that number pop up.

At first I was like "4806... that's what he's getting all excited about?"

Then I saw the K next to it. LOL

So to be honest, no it's not really NEEDED if you have The Bee you'll dominate most minor enemies in a few shots anyway. But on a boss... 4.8 Million damage is a big deal. And without Slag it only does 2.4 million or so... boo hoo I know.

Of course, this is at level 50 with ultra items. At that point the game kind of becomes ridiculous anyway.

Btw, does the DLC increase the level cap? Anyone know?

Creston

It does not, but if you're level 50 and do it all the mobs level up to the standard finished with the game 49-52. And any Blue or Higher quest rewards level up to 50. Got a blue shotgun I thought was going to be cool till i fired it and hurt myself... fucking Gearbox trolls.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

73. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 17, 2012, 12:01 Creston

Trevellian wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 11:27:

It definitely helps... for instance, Gaige's Interspersed Outburst (Which the very first shot slags the target) allows me to do this:
With a Tediore Reload after firing 1 bullet. Yep. Ridiculous I know. But so so beautiful to see that number pop up.

At first I was like "4806... that's what he's getting all excited about?"

Then I saw the K next to it. LOL

So to be honest, no it's not really NEEDED if you have The Bee you'll dominate most minor enemies in a few shots anyway. But on a boss... 4.8 Million damage is a big deal. And without Slag it only does 2.4 million or so... boo hoo I know.

Of course, this is at level 50 with ultra items. At that point the game kind of becomes ridiculous anyway.

Btw, does the DLC increase the level cap? Anyone know?

Creston

72. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 17, 2012, 11:27 Trevellian

Creston wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 08:01:
How important is slag in TVHM? I figured it's really important, but by the time you've gotten someone slagged and switched weapons, it's either almost already run out again, or you're dead from focusing on one enemy so much...

Creston

Granted Interspersed Outburst doesn't help you at all on Zero... I think my buddy actually just relies on me to Slag the targets honestly... either that or he switches to a Slag Sniper... I dunno really.

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2012, 11:53.

For the Republic

71. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 17, 2012, 10:17 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 09:17:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 23:09:
I had completely forgotten about that shield... I'd heard of it before and how freakishly good it is, but never got around to finding it. So just now I killed Hunter about 5 times and got one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=103108242

I don't know what it was like before, but you can compare to see if they nerfed it yet. I'm guessing no, because it is awesome, though the delay is long enough to screw you if you get caught up in the action.

I don't see why they need to nerf it at all. It is a powerful shield but it has some pretty significant downsides. Conference Call can make a few bosses easily cheesed but there is no talk of nerfing that either.

It's because with exactly the right Gunzerker build, and exactly the right gun, and exactly the right class mod, and exactly the right shield (the Bee), people can one-shot Terramorpheus. Devs ignore the fact that in order to be able to do so you have to basically farm him hundreds of times just to GET those items, so in order to "fix" that, they have to nerf the items included.

It's the Blizzard mentality of "Balancing". Oh, something is powerful and people like using it: NNNNNNEEEEEEERRRFFFFF. :-yawn-:

Creston

70. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 17, 2012, 09:22 Beamer

I'm nowhere near the Bee, but on my Gunzerker I'm using the Firehawk shield now. I've found much better shields, but that Nova is ridiculous and nukes everything nearby. Since I play my Gunzerker co-op exclusively I have no issue just charging forward when it begins going off.

With my Zer0 I just use something with a very low recharge delay and very high recharge rate.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

69. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 17, 2012, 09:17 Verno

I had completely forgotten about that shield... I'd heard of it before and how freakishly good it is, but never got around to finding it. So just now I killed Hunter about 5 times and got one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=103108242

I don't know what it was like before, but you can compare to see if they nerfed it yet. I'm guessing no, because it is awesome, though the delay is long enough to screw you if you get caught up in the action.

I don't see why they need to nerf it at all. It is a powerful shield but it has some pretty significant downsides. Conference Call can make a few bosses easily cheesed but there is no talk of nerfing that either.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

68. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 17, 2012, 08:01 Creston

How important is slag in TVHM? I figured it's really important, but by the time you've gotten someone slagged and switched weapons, it's either almost already run out again, or you're dead from focusing on one enemy so much...

Creston

67. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 16, 2012, 23:31 Trevellian

Creston wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 23:24:
Thanks for the build, and the tips, all. I actually got that same level 4 orange grenade of Boom Bewm with my PT1 commando (again underscoring my point that my SOLO characters are getting much better drops than my multi-first-now-solo characters,) so they do drop low level versions of stuff. I may check on Hellquist to see if he drops a lower level Bee. And yeah, that's a really crazy awesome shield.

Creston

Be forwarned, although it is an OP shield if you're not getting hit. You most likely WILL die a lot with it. I know I have. In fact with my Mechro, I started using Tediore Electric SMG's, just so if I got downed I could fire 1 bullet and chuck the gun at their face to get myself back up quickly, it took me awhile to figure out I could do this, don't know why. But now that I've grown accustomed to it all i carry is Tediore SMG's and Hyperion Shotguns. An electric and Caustic of each. Electric mostly because the Mechro gets so many bonuses to it. On the Siren I more carry Fire and Caustic. Neither class really has a reason to carry a Slag weapon fortunately, Sirens Phaselock handles that for me, and Mechro's Interspersed Outburst handles it for her.

For the Republic

66. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 16, 2012, 23:24 Creston

Thanks for the build, and the tips, all. I actually got that same level 4 orange grenade of Boom Bewm with my PT1 commando (again underscoring my point that my SOLO characters are getting much better drops than my multi-first-now-solo characters,) so they do drop low level versions of stuff. I may check on Hellquist to see if he drops a lower level Bee. And yeah, that's a really crazy awesome shield.

Creston

65. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 16, 2012, 23:14 Trevellian

My thought process is that the 5.46 second delay (Which mine has as well) may have been the nerf cause I could have sworn I saw someone on Youtube 3 shot The Warrior with it and a shitty blue shotgun at one point. So it may be possible the nerf was done awhile ago, as that Twitter Post from Pitchford is old and it said "next patch"

Either way, it's still a badass shield as it is right now. You just literally have to "Float like a butterfly, Sting like a Bee" to use it. And not get caught up in a slugfest.

For the Republic

64. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 16, 2012, 23:09 jacobvandy

63. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 16, 2012, 22:40 Trevellian

Creston wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 20:30:
Trevellian wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 19:41:

Try switching Specs, if you like Sniping I understand. So does my buddy Tulka thats all he was doing... till he looked up a Cunning build and now uses a Pistol or SMG, and uses Death Mark and Death Blossom and can stay invisible 90% of the time and 2 shot even badasses a lot of the time. It was hard for him to move away from the sniping but it made the game a lot more fun for him.

There is one specific thing that may help even more. Farm Hunter Helquivst for his "The Bee" legendary shield. You'll thank me later. As it will let you pretty much kill The Warrior on TVHM with Zero in 30 seconds with the Kunai Blades and a decent Shotgun.

Can you link me to this cunning build?

And does Helquist drop that shield in PT1 too? Is it even worth farming for it in PT1?

Creston

http://www.bl2skills.com/assassin.html#503501500050505145010000000000
This is the build he is currently using, he has a True Shot class mod that gives +3 to Optics and +3 to Precision and Team Accuracy 28%
His is more of a Medium Range Kunai Knives build. It requires a decent SMG, Shotgun or AR, which shouldn't be hard to come by, he doesn't do the Melee Cunning build, but he still deals some serious damage.

I'm pretty sure he drops a PT1 version of it as well. Most of the bosses drop a PT1 version of their legendaries from what I've seen, I've gotten a level 4 legendary grenade mod off Boom Bewm, on my Mechro's PT1. As someone said they probably will nerf The Bee a bit, but it will still be a great shield. My guess is they will make the Delay longer so you have to stay in cover longer to get the charge.

It should be noted he said his Class Mod isn't the best but it's all he had, and the Terramorphous one wasn't any better for the spec.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2012, 23:04.

For the Republic

62. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 16, 2012, 21:28 Dades

Nadool wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 21:09:
Farm Hunter Helquivst for his "The Bee" legendary shield. You'll thank me later. As it will let you pretty much kill The Warrior on TVHM with Zero in 30 seconds with the Kunai Blades and a decent Shotgun.

The devs have stated The Bee is "so getting nerfed" as per twitter. Whether that's happened yet or not I don't know.

Maybe the devs can "so nerf" some of the one shot things people are complaining about here.

61. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 16, 2012, 21:15 Nadool

Creston wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 20:30:
And does Helquist drop that shield in PT1 too? Is it even worth farming for it in PT1?

I have only seen level 50 versions so I can't say for sure if it does drop. I would say that it is probably not worth farming until TVHM. I use it with a Maggie and a Skullmasher and it's ridiculous. My advice would be just plow through PT1 then the fun begins. TVHM is hard at first but only because you have PT1 gear. Once your gear catches up it feels more like a fair fight.

60. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 16, 2012, 21:09 Nadool

Farm Hunter Helquivst for his "The Bee" legendary shield. You'll thank me later. As it will let you pretty much kill The Warrior on TVHM with Zero in 30 seconds with the Kunai Blades and a decent Shotgun.

The devs have stated The Bee is "so getting nerfed" as per twitter. Whether that's happened yet or not I don't know.

59. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 16, 2012, 20:30 Creston

Try switching Specs, if you like Sniping I understand. So does my buddy Tulka thats all he was doing... till he looked up a Cunning build and now uses a Pistol or SMG, and uses Death Mark and Death Blossom and can stay invisible 90% of the time and 2 shot even badasses a lot of the time. It was hard for him to move away from the sniping but it made the game a lot more fun for him.

There is one specific thing that may help even more. Farm Hunter Helquivst for his "The Bee" legendary shield. You'll thank me later. As it will let you pretty much kill The Warrior on TVHM with Zero in 30 seconds with the Kunai Blades and a decent Shotgun.

Can you link me to this cunning build?

Creston

58. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 16, 2012, 20:29 jacobvandy

Just found a BioShock easter egg in the DLC, pretty neat.  

57. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 16, 2012, 19:44 Prez

Trevellian wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 19:30:
Prez wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 19:14:
I think there MIGHT be a bug with a character that played multi and is then used solo, because I get MUCH, MUCH better drops on characters where I only played solo.)

That would be crazy if true because it's the direct opposite of how it's supposed to work. I know I was having a hard time finding good drops - in 60-plus hours I came across only 3 orange items in singleplayer (and one of them I bought from a machine). It made me think about trying coop to find some good stuff but I was afraid it would have been too shocking to some people to see me actually being social!

If you see me on and not in a game with the 3 guys I am usually playing with (I.E. if my game isn't full) feel free to drop in or whatever, I'm usually probably farming a Boss for a certain Legendary, or farming The Warrior for a Conference Call. But I literally threw away about 16 Million credits in Purple's and E-Guns the other day farming the Warrior for a few hours. If theres something in particular you're trying to find let me know I'll try to keep one instead of tossing it.

Thanks for the offer!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

56. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 16, 2012, 19:41 Trevellian

Creston wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 19:34:
Prez wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 19:14:
I think there MIGHT be a bug with a character that played multi and is then used solo, because I get MUCH, MUCH better drops on characters where I only played solo.)

That would be crazy if true because it's the direct opposite of how it's supposed to work. I know I was having a hard time finding good drops - in 60-plus hours I came across only 3 orange items in singleplayer (and one of them I bought from a machine).

I started with a Gunzerker. He found what I THOUGHT was a purple at level 7, turned out be an E-Tech gun actually, while playing solo. I then switched him to multi for awhile when I needed to join people who were the same level as him. Found decent stuff in multi for him. Then went back to playing him solo. Found absolutely shit. Like literally had bosses dropping nothing but fucking whites and two shitty greens.

Played a Siren mostly multi with my buddy from the start of the game. We found pretty decent stuff, so she was doing well. We didn't find much for him, but okay, at least stuff was dropping. I went to play her solo for awhile, and she found absolutely nothing for 3 to 4 levels. Played her with my buddy again and the drops were better, but nothing that really worked for her playstyle. I've stopped playing her now until he's back on, because in solo she isn't finding shit.

My assassin in solo found good stuff. Like really good weapons, and the entire playthrough was really a breeze except for the Mutated Varkid and the Badass Pyre Thresher (and the occasional other retarded "HAHA U DIED IN 2 HITZ LULZ WE R TEH GEARBOX HUMOR SKWAD!!!" monster, such as that demon Skag in the Outlaw / Sheriff town. I couldn't beat that thing until I got a triple homing plague grenade from Mortar. 24 grenades which each did like 4000 acid damage finally managed to kill her. Yeah, no, great monster to try to fight with guns that do 120 damage per shot, Gearbox...)

But then he got stuck in TVHM, where he found nothing new, and I was trying to make my way to sanctuary with the stuff I had from the first playthrough, and it was just a really aggravating chore. I like that they made it more difficult, but having to empty two fucking clips of a SNIPER RIFLE to kill a single bullymong is just stupid. It took me around 4 hours to make it to Sanctuary, during which I lost 300K or so in ress fees and ammo. (I had to buy like 100K in grenades just to kill Flynt, because he was impossible to kill with the weapons I had. An entire clip from my sniper moved his health bar by MAYBE half a mm.)

I finally found some better stuff once I got to sanctuary, (first sniper rifle upgrade I got increased my damage by like 90%) but I find TVHM in general just to be too much about corner shooting and strategically picking off stragglers than just going in and having a good time shooting the shit out of guys like in PT1. I feel they went TOO far with the difficulty level. Maybe zero isn't a good character for it, I dunno. My infinite melee build worked beautifully in PT1, and in TVHM I can't kill a single mook with melee. Yes, I can respec the build and just become a sniper, but eh. Maybe dual-turret guy would work better.

And my commando isn't very far yet (level 12 or so), but he's finding reasonable stuff. Of course, his turret is so kick-ass hard that he hardly really ever gets stuck anywhere where monsters are too hard.

So out of my own personal experience, I can say that characters I've played multi and then go solo find nada, zilch, nothing, zip, and characters who have ONLY played solo find good stuff.

It's a small sample size, I know. It still seems highly peculiar.

Creston

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2012, 19:48.

For the Republic

75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo