Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2012, 18:40 Mordecai Walfish

Turns out after the first time you run some of these older games you don't even need Origin open to play them.

Tested with Mirror's Edge and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, even online multiplayer is working in Hot Pursuit without Origin open. A totally different account can be open in Origin and everything still works.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2012, 17:24 Prez

You cared enough to post the same crap on this multiple times.

What I meant was I don't care if Origin might actually occasionally run a promo in which they are actually asking reasonable prices for their games. I used to go there fairly regularly but their prices always sucked ass when I did. I certainly don't care as much about the abysmal EA as you seem to as evidenced by your rushing to defend them at every turn. Only an apologist spinster can make this "promo" out to be anything other than the embarrassing gaffe that it was. I certainly will comment about the irony about stingy, greedy EA accidentally giving away thousands of free games when it is the antithesis of EA's history of shady and anti-consumer business practices.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2012, 14:14 Verno

Yes technically they could outright cancel them all but they would run afoul of people who legitimately took part in the promotion which would be a large PR gaffe at the minimum and paint the service in a negative light - it is very difficult to take anything away from a consumer.

It wouldn't be very time consuming, and the PR gaffe already occurred with the widespread report of the exploit. EA could pull all redeemed games, email new links for the survey, and issue a new code at the end of the survey.

See above.

It is charity from EA. EA gave away some games on Origin. It's amazing the level of denial EA trolls like you will go through to avoid the unpleasant fact that EA actually did something worthy of praise

Calling me names is amusing but immature and false. I didn't pass any personal judgment on their decision either way, I was just pointing out acting like people should feel any differently about EA after this is silly. It is not charity. Charity is an intentional, benevolent act to a party in need. This was a business decision made after the fact. I have no idea why Steam is even brought up in the equation, they aren't involved.

Personally I think they took the only realistic option available without angering consumers. I think it was a savvy decision but I don't feel beholden to them for making it. As for how consumers in general perceive them, EA has a long history of anti-consumer practices so it's going to take a lot more than this to offset that.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

14. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2012, 12:49 hb3d

Verno wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 09:24:
EA didn't really give away anything. They don't do this stuff internally, it's all outsourced.
EA at least approved and paid for this promotion. So, yes, EA did give something away.

They would need to go through all purchases made for those 4 days where that code was used and manually review each one.
No, EA could pull the games from people's Origin accounts quite easily. The details of all purchases are stored in the Origin account database. The customer-facing details are here. A simple query to the database could pull up every account which made a purchase with the promo code. If you used the promo code, your purchase would be canceled. There's nothing manual to review because there's no way to tell who took the survey and who didn't since you didn't have to provide an email address with the survey and your Origin email address might be different.

It would be very time consuming, not to mention a huge PR gaffe to bother doing so.
It wouldn't be very time consuming, and the PR gaffe already occurred with the widespread report of the exploit. EA could pull all redeemed games, email new links for the survey, and issue a new code at the end of the survey.

So let's not pretend like this is charity from EA
It is charity from EA. EA gave away some games on Origin. It's amazing the level of denial EA trolls like you will go through to avoid the unpleasant fact that EA actually did something worthy of praise.

13. You cared enough to post multiple times. Oct 16, 2012, 12:31 hb3d

Prez wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 00:19:
Personally I don't care.
You cared enough to post the same crap on this multiple times.

they let themselves get taken advantage of in the process.
Except that EA didn't have to let themselves get taken advantage of. EA could have done as Valve did in similar exploits (Dirt 3, Dead Island, etc.) and pulled the redeemed games from everyone's accounts. EA didn't, and it deserves credit for that. I also appreciated the offer for the free game from the survey given how short and easy the survey actually was. EA deserves to be bashed over some things, but over giving away free games and how it handled this situation isn't it.

12. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2012, 09:24 Verno

EA didn't really give away anything. They don't do this stuff internally, it's all outsourced. The Origin store isn't built like Steam, even a code redemption is treated like a purchase. They would need to go through all purchases made for those 4 days where that code was used and manually review each one. It would be very time consuming, not to mention a huge PR gaffe to bother doing so. So let's not pretend like this is charity from EA and let's not forget there have been times where they have done the opposite.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

11. Re: EA learned a lesson, but not the one you think. Oct 16, 2012, 08:59 nin

Dades wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 07:00:
hb3d wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 22:36:
Cyanotetyphas wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 21:33:
This was just about the only thing they could do to get me to download Origin so maybe they learned something.
That was the intent of the survey from the start (to get people to use Origin). The only thing that EA learned is that if you use a universal redemption code, the PC gamer internet community will share it and exploit the hell out of it.

The only thing I learned is that you gravitate to EA topics like a fly to dung.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

And amazon! Don't forget his numerous amazon mentions!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: EA learned a lesson, but not the one you think. Oct 16, 2012, 07:00 Dades

hb3d wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 22:36:
This was just about the only thing they could do to get me to download Origin so maybe they learned something.
That was the intent of the survey from the start (to get people to use Origin). The only thing that EA learned is that if you use a universal redemption code, the PC gamer internet community will share it and exploit the hell out of it.

The only thing I learned is that you gravitate to EA topics like a fly to dung.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

9. Re: There you go again with the baseless EA bashing. Oct 16, 2012, 00:19 Prez

hb3d wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 22:29:
Prez wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 21:34:
considering how much the fools are still asking for the same old games, I imagine they still want people to pay top dollar for them, not get them for free.
You imagine wrong. EA charged only $10 ($7.50 with coupon code) two weeks ago for a bundle of five of these "$19.99" games from Amazon game downloads. This past week Gamersgate had many of these games and some newer ones like Alice and Need for Speed Run that are normally $29.99 for $5 each. EA has even run 50% and 60% off sales on Origin for these particular games and given them out as a free gift without a survey to try Origin for new users. Therefore, EA doesn't always "want people to pay top dollar" for these games.

In addition Valve sells its own older games like Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 on Steam for $19.99 normal price right now. Is Valve a fool too for wanting people to pay top dollar for them?

The bottom line is that EA was already prepared to give away one of these "$19.99" games for free to each person on its mailing list who answered six extremely short questions in the survey. And since the promotion was originally planned to run until 10/21 or 10/27 (email said 10/21 and web page said 10/27) but was cut short, I doubt that EA really gave away all that many more games than it had intended. The survey "crashers" probably just used up the alloted games much more quickly than anticipated since EA was well aware of the heavy load on its storefront for over two days and made adjustments early during the process to limit the use of the code to one per Origin account. I personally tried to get more than one game in my newly created Origin account and couldn't, and I tried during the first day of the code redemption.

Personally I don't care. I didn't see a game I wanted that I didn't already own. It's EA's own policies and words that I use to formulate my interpretation of events, and I've given Origin more than enough chances. I can buy games (including EA ones that they haven't blacklisted from Steam) on Steam, Amazon, or Gamefly cheaper almost 100% of the time than on Origin. Steam is a far better service, and Valve is a far FAR better company than EA. Which is why I imagine they have to try something like this promo that they let themselves get taken advantage of in the process. Origin sucks; EA sucks, and every time I visit their site their prices suck. Free is the only price I would pay to put up with Origin to begin with, and even then not when it's for games I already own on a superior service that I bought for less money.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2012, 00:28.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. EA learned a lesson, but not the one you think. Oct 15, 2012, 22:36 hb3d

7. Re: etc., etc. Oct 15, 2012, 22:30 Gipson

i scored some free games from this (90% i won't even play) and missed out on some i wanted due to the site being overloaded all night

i never liked EA/Origin so this felt really good to me doing this!

deal rape thread

6. There you go again with the baseless EA bashing. Oct 15, 2012, 22:29 hb3d

Prez wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 21:34:
considering how much the fools are still asking for the same old games, I imagine they still want people to pay top dollar for them, not get them for free.
You imagine wrong. EA charged only $10 ($7.50 with coupon code) two weeks ago for a bundle of five of these "$19.99" games from Amazon game downloads. This past week Gamersgate had many of these games and some newer ones like Alice and Need for Speed Run that are normally $29.99 for $5 each. EA has even run 50% and 60% off sales on Origin for these particular games and given them out as a free gift without a survey to try Origin for new users. Therefore, EA doesn't always "want people to pay top dollar" for these games.

In addition Valve sells its own older games like Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 on Steam for $19.99 normal price right now. Is Valve a fool too for wanting people to pay top dollar for them?

The bottom line is that EA was already prepared to give away one of these "$19.99" games for free to each person on its mailing list who answered six extremely short questions in the survey. And since the promotion was originally planned to run until 10/21 or 10/27 (email said 10/21 and web page said 10/27) but was cut short, I doubt that EA really gave away all that many more games than it had intended. The survey "crashers" probably just used up the alloted games much more quickly than anticipated since EA was well aware of the heavy load on its storefront for over two days and made adjustments early during the process to limit the use of the code to one per Origin account. I personally tried to get more than one game in my newly created Origin account and couldn't, and I tried during the first day of the code redemption.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2012, 22:42.

5. Re: etc., etc. Oct 15, 2012, 21:43 DangerDog

Someone or someone(s) got fired over this screw up.

4. Re: EA gives away thousands of free games in promo code blunder. Oct 15, 2012, 21:34 Prez

J wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 20:20:
Ha! I thought that was some kind of intentional promotion. Couldn't have happened to a nicer company!

Agreed. And I still suspect they are pissed off about it. The games that were given away may have been older, but considering how much the fools are still asking for the same old games, I imagine they still want people to pay top dollar for them, not get them for free.

- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: etc., etc. Oct 15, 2012, 21:33 Cyanotetyphas

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 15, 2012, 20:37 jacobvandy

Well, they did intend to give away a $20 game to each person who completed their market research survey, I think. They just managed to screw it up so, so badly. Between having a single, universal coupon code and the glitch that allowed multiple redemptions per account, they probably gave away tens of thousands of more free games than expected.  

1. Re: EA gives away thousands of free games in promo code blunder. Oct 15, 2012, 20:20 J

Ha! I thought that was some kind of intentional promotion. Couldn't have happened to a nicer company!  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo