Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Roberts Space Industries Website Back

The Roberts Space Industries Website is back in action after being knocked offline for most of the time since the recent announcement of Star Citizen, the new space simulator from Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts. This allows those interested in participating in the crowdfunding for the game, which as so far raised about one third of its two million dollar funding goal. Thanks Arkayas.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 15, 2012, 16:59 JediPunisher

I'm a big Wing Commander/Privateer fan, but Chris Roberts has been out of the software business for a long time; His last game was designed for Windows 95. If Chris and his team have so much trouble getting his website to work properly, what hope do we have for his game? BTW, I hate the website's light/dark background; reading it gave me a headache. Dead

As much as I love WC, I am seriously debating if I should support this game, and I'm sure others feel the same. I hate to say it, but Robert's attempt at crowdfunding his game seems amateurish. Why didn't he just use Kickstarter? He claims it's because his own website allows him greater freedom to connect with the fans and offer multiple payment options...that is, when it actually works...but he could've just linked to it. Had it been on KS, I would've already thrown a bucket of cash at it, and I have no doubt they would've hit $2M by now. After all, it only took 24 hours for Project Eternity to hit their $1.1M goal.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 15, 2012, 07:43 Cutter

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 19:00:
Let me break it down. He's promising the world. In actuality you'll get a single player game thats not nearly complete as it was built upon the premise of an MMO Flight Sim backing it up that will never see the light of day.

I hope i'm wrong. If so i'll be glad to buy it at full retail price after its released.

Liek others have said. He's just not being honest and up-front it seems and even with what he's saying has my spidey sense tingling in a bad way. If he can get it done and it's good, yeah I'll buy it too, but there's no way this guy is getting a dime up front for me. It just feels way too shadey/sketechy.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 15, 2012, 00:21 Bet

Aside from my love for Starlancer and Privateer, this game is incorporating a lot of the best elements from Allegiance, and the internet is finally fast enough to pull off that game. Most excellent.

Mechwarrior Online has already made me fall in love with the vehicular combat capabilities of CryEngine 3. The first time I hopped into an Atlas in MWO (which was after about 20 games as a heavy-class Catapult), it really felt like I was piloting an Assault mech. The firepower it unleashed was astounding compared to the pair of PPCs and medium lasers I was used to.

Thus, I cannot wait to be piloting a frigate in Star Citizen with the turrets manned by people I know enough to trust will keep the pirates at bay while running high-profit cargo in the border worlds. Knowing that there are no tariffs at the cost of getting raided by pirates, unlike the inner-system worlds with high tariffs and police to keep people relatively safe, except from the exceptionally thrill-seeking pirates. Knowing that they're human pilots will make it all the more tense, which Privateer never quite attained at its best. Will be flashing back to Allegiance days when it was in its prime, hoping that my gunners can shoot if I line them up on target. Or sneaking around trying to get a solid ore base going to support the war effort on the front lines.

Damn I miss Allegiance, haven't had that pang in what feels like a decade. This will definitely fill the void nicely.

Also, for anyone who hasn't played it, Starlancer is AWESOME in co-op. Hard to convince friends to re-attempt a hard mission just to get a better ending in it though.

Add in mod capability, private servers, the people that made Freelancer multiplayer mods that rocked the house are going to have a field day with this game. Most of that was hacked in, and this is going to have support out of the gate. CryEngine makes that all the easier. I'm giddy.

13. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 22:37 Tom

Aero wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 20:41:
There is a reason there aren't a lot of space sims around these days, and it's not just because Mr. Roberts was off making movies. How's Jumpgate Evolution coming along? Oh, right.

Jumpgate was crap. So what?

12. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 21:09 Creston

Slashman wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 20:24:
Especially if the 'privateer' aspects are excluded from the single player and I need to share my universe with people I don't know or care about.

Supposedly you will be able to host your own server, so if you don't want others in your Privateer world, you don't have to.

Whether that'll actually really work, I have no idea. But that's the plan.

Creston

11. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 20:41 Aero

It will be highly disappointing if it's an MMO-only affair so far as exploring/trading/etc are concerned. A space sim is all about the suspension of disbelief, and that will never be achievable in an MMO. There are just too many idiots and sociopaths in the world for that to work. It doesn't take all that many halfwits, flying around in circles firing their lasers randomly and trying to ram any passing ship to ruin a game.

I'd also hate to see all this work tied to something that needs to make a continuous profit in order to operate. There is a reason there aren't a lot of space sims around these days, and it's not just because Mr. Roberts was off making movies. How's Jumpgate Evolution coming along? Oh, right.

I don't mean to sound too negative, because this whole thing is still pretty good news, but if so much potential awesomeness were mishandled, it would be one of the greater tragedies of PC gaming history. Moreover, the presentation of Chris Roberts wanting to do things properly, his way, to make a proper PC game, just doesn't jive with the concept of a micro-transaction supported MMO. Traditional publishers seem to be all about throwing money at that sort of thing these days.

I'll still throw $60 his way though, just to see what happens. If all that I get out of it in the end is a Wing Commander style mission-based game, I certainly wouldn't have wasted my money. It will just hurt a bit longing for what might have been.

10. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 20:24 Slashman

I don't think this is really what I wanted from Chris Roberts.

If you're going to make an old-school space sim, then make one. Don't wedge in an MMO.

You're saying the space sim genre isn't dead and there's a market for space sims that push hardware and for PC exclusive games, but then you make it into some semi-F2P mish-mash with an offline campaign, and the real meat of the game is going into an online world.

That's really not what I was hoping for. I'm sure there are people excited for this, but until I know what you really intend(how extensive and expansive the single-player portion is), I can't support this. Especially if the 'privateer' aspects are excluded from the single player and I need to share my universe with people I don't know or care about.

9. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 19:33 Julio

I'm not feeling confident in this one, and haven't backed it yet. Not sure I will - My ask is for an offline, full featured sandbox game with a campaign.

It sounds like a pay-to-win online sandbox only game. Might have to wait for this to hit retail and get reviews if that's all it is.

8. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 19:00 dj LiTh

Let me break it down. He's promising the world. In actuality you'll get a single player game thats not nearly complete as it was built upon the premise of an MMO Flight Sim backing it up that will never see the light of day.

I hope i'm wrong. If so i'll be glad to buy it at full retail price after its released.

7. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 18:08 ViRGE

Hellbinder wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 16:22:
yeah, Tumbler i can kind of see your point. It is strange. anyone who helps them make the game, even at a 10$ price point should get the game period. since they are clearly looking at releasing this thing later via Steam and probably retail and making even more money.

pretty shaky stuff imo.
To be fair, it's going to be a full price retail game. Why should people who are effectively pre-ordering get it for 84% off? That makes the $10 tier rather useless, but "shaky" is not the word I'd use to describe it.

6. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 17:49 RaZ0r!

Yeah I threw money at him. If for nothing else than the hours and hours of playing Wing Commander in DOS. (With a special boot disk no less.)  

5. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 17:43 jdreyer

I dunno, it sounds like Chris is being deliberately vague b/c he's not sure the level of interest yet. Chris knows space shooter games, it sounds like he's hankering to make another one after some time off, the vision looks awesome, so I'm in.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 16:38 ItBurn

This is just like any other Kickstarter... Bottom line, this guy knows how to make great space sims and he's the only one who's going to do one like that. I've been wanting a good one for soooo long now, I'm happy I can actually contribute.  

3. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 16:22 Hellbinder

yeah, Tumbler i can kind of see your point. It is strange. anyone who helps them make the game, even at a 10$ price point should get the game period. since they are clearly looking at releasing this thing later via Steam and probably retail and making even more money.

pretty shaky stuff imo.

The Whales name is Bob.

2. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 15:58 Tumbler

The previews and interviews seem to sort of dance around these topics.

I've read some folks saying that the game is more an idea than a clearly defined project at this point and from what I've read that sounds about right.

It sounds like they want to create a traditional wing commander style story/adventure/space sim but then have that campaign be built into a larger privateer style world that is online.

It's ambitious for sure, but the fact that each of the pledge bonus' involve a ship that will be used in the online portion of the game, I assume, I think the muscle of this project is to make an MMO style game that plays like guild wars 2. IE lots of content to do on your own time but then you can pay for extra things as well.

I'm not clear how each ship that you get fits into the world. If this is a privateer style game then it makes sense until they start talking about the hornet...what good is a dog fighter in a space game like privateer. Maybe I can just do search and destroy missions?

If it's a more traditional campaign then aren't the ships provided and you're part of a fighter wing?

Honestly it gets hard to keep my money in this project every day that passes...and it's only been 2 DAYS!

I think this statement is causing me the most concern:

Finally we are offering the pledge slots a discount to what the final digital price will be. Like Guild Wars 2, the basic game will be $60, but for the early backers we are offering the entry tier at $40.

The whole $60 price point is an inflated number to begin with trapped behind publishers, distributors/retailers and platform makers so they can all get a cut. So these guys are building the game outside of all of those guys, even going outside of kickstarter and yet they're still looking at this like consumers will feel justified paying them $60 when this game launches? And $30-$40 a year before anything is delivered and 2 years before the game is officially launched? (Best case)

I think these guys are trying to make money rather than trying to build something they believe in. As much a fan as I am of Wing Commander and Privateer it's painful to watch this whole thing unfold. I'm having a really hard time supporting this at the $135 level that I am currently.

This is absolutely a game I want to see made but I am almost certain that what I'm expecting and what they are going to end up making are completely different products.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

1. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 15:46 Aero

I'm still not really clear on this from everything I've read.

If the non-MMO, SP portion is strictly a campaign, then I'm not really all that interested (interested enough to buy it when its out, but not enough to "invest" in it). If the entire universe is available offline (or, at least without the presence of other human players and micro-transactions) for an Elite/Privateer style space sim, then I'm all in. I'm also not real clear on how the dedicated servers fit. Are those for the instanced battles, of for running a separate universe (a la Freelancer)?

The previews and interviews seem to sort of dance around these topics.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo