Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer

The Metro: Last Light Website has an update on multiplayer support in the upcoming shooter sequel, or more accurately the lack of multiplayer support, as THQ explains this feature is being dropped from the game so they can focus their full efforts on the single-player campaign. They note that they've gone through a bunch of multiplayer prototypes, but note that the response to the game's E3 demo convinced them that this is the direction they should take. They also admit that "a lot of interest and intrigue" surrounds multiplayer support for the game, and they could potentially revisit this as a separate project after the game ships (especially since they "don’t like throwing away work"), but for now they are "100% focused on the single player campaign and not thinking beyond that." Thanks Joystiq.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 22:56 Parallax Abstraction

I didn't even know this was set to have multiplayer. I can't imagine how they would have done it in a way that wasn't just another batch of generic modes tacked onto a setting where they didn't make any sense. I guess they realised that too. I hope titles like this and Dishonored and others that focus on great single player only experiences sell well enough to prove the theory that "everything needs multiplayer" wrong.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 22:34 netnerd85

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 15:39:
GOOD. Not every game needs multiplayer. Fuck EA for pushing that load of bollocks...
EA have NOTHING to do with Metro. Get it right! it's THQ.

17. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 22:26 007Bistromath

Best news I've heard all year. Since when does THQ make sound decisions?  

16. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 22:08 John

Good choice guys.. Looking forward to this one. As other said, coop would be cool though.  
This space is available for rent

15. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 21:00 Rea1One

game doesn't need multiplayer  

14. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 20:39 Acleacius

Excellent, loved the world, atmosphere, acting and story. Of course the console focus of gameplay and lack of freeform saves, hurt it considerably.

Instead of publishers, jerking us around with dlc, why not just make an expansion to add coop in six months after release.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

13. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 19:42 Prez

Good decision. Why waste valuable resources on a mode hardly anyone will be playing less than a month after release? Other developers should follow suit.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 18:30 Cutter

Too bad they didn't decide this from the getgo.  

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

11. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 18:17 Flatline

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 15:52:
Yup, I think most of us can agree tacking on multiplayer is a bad idea. Focus on giving us a great single-player game and we'll be happy.

I choose games based on what I want them for. Multiplayer? I play GW2 for MMO kicks, and BF3 for shooting people online.

They tacked multiplayer on Max Payne 3, and it sucks. It's so generic that you could be playing any 3rd person shooter. The single player was great. Why dilute it with crap multi.

MP3 was't bad with multiplayer, what made it blow was the abhorrent hacking going on.

At least, that's the only thing I can think of when I go to shoot someone and 3 seconds later not only do I not register my hits, but they warp back and forth through the air in a shoot-lunge for 3 seconds. More than half the people were doing that in the last attempt I made to play, and I just gave up at that point.

10. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 13, 2012, 18:01 HorrorScope

What is the assumed length in hours and retail price for this game?  

9. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 17:11 deqer

they could potentially revisit this as a separate project after the game ships
aaaaannd that means no.

8. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 17:04 Zoom

I'll join the round of applause. I prefer them to concentrate on the quality of the single player story.  

7. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 16:56 Jerykk

A publisher agreeing to drop multiplayer support instead of tacking it on? Now that's a nice change. I have to imagine it's only because THQ's finances are in such a dire condition, though. They probably couldn't afford to increase the budget to accommodate multiplayer.  

6. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 16:25 TychoCelchuuu

Glad to see they know where their strengths lie. Or lay?

Glad to see they know where their strengths are. I don't want a future where every game must have multiplayer. I'm playing Dishonored right now and enjoying it more than I've enjoyed a game in a long time, and I'd hate to imagine trying to get it greenlit in an environment where publishers only wanted to fund games that had a multiplayer component.

5. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 15:59 jdreyer

I'll just add my agreement: Metro 2033 was a great atmospheric narrative SP shooter. I really enjoyed it. As someone who almost never plays multiplayer, I appreciate a good narrative shooter.

On the other hand, playing some of the missions in coop would have been cool.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

4. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 15:52 Agent.X7

Yup, I think most of us can agree tacking on multiplayer is a bad idea. Focus on giving us a great single-player game and we'll be happy.

I choose games based on what I want them for. Multiplayer? I play GW2 for MMO kicks, and BF3 for shooting people online.

They tacked multiplayer on Max Payne 3, and it sucks. It's so generic that you could be playing any 3rd person shooter. The single player was great. Why dilute it with crap multi.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

3. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 15:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Excellent choice by the Metro guys. Now, just increase bullet damage so I don't have to shoot most enemies in the head with a full clip to kill them (on higher difficulties) and it'll be all good.

2. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 15:45 El Pit

But... but... butt... Didn't the Blizzard guys say that multiplayer is the future? Shouldn't they have dropped the singleplayer part?  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

1. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 15:39 jacobvandy

GOOD. Not every game needs multiplayer. Fuck EA for pushing that load of bollocks...  

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo