Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks

The HAWKEN Forums announce plans to begin closed beta testing of this mech combat game in two weeks on October 26th (thanks Eurogamer). They offer a pretty extensive FAQ which mostly covers how to get your hands on a beta key, which also says there will be no NDA associated with this testing, so we should be hearing more about the game very soon. Here's word on the testing, which also adjusts expectations for what had been described as the launch of the game on December 12th, now calling this date the beginning of the open beta, though for a free-to-play game, this is probably more a technical distinction than anything. Here's word:

This test will have a much larger tester pool than Alpha 2 and will include participants of our previous tests. Invitations will start to appear as early as this week and can be applied to your account by logging in to PlayHawken.com and clicking "Redeem Code". This will be the first of a series of Closed Beta tests, all of which will allow you to capture footage and screenshots and share them publicly. These Closed Beta tests will lead up to Open Beta on December 12, 2012.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 15, 2012, 00:48 descender

You were playing an alpha looking for teamwork and communication?

The only issue I really had was the jittery cockpit, made me sick to my stomach while playing.

It would be nice if it forced gamepad/joystick controls, because controlling a mech with a mouse removes all immersion from the game.

We certainly don't need "generic FPS 233: slow heavy rocket-boots edition".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 14, 2012, 09:38 PHJF

It isn't just deathmatch, they just started adding a typical point control mode. Only problem is it's limited to one (bad) map that isn't even finished yet (it isn't even textured).

In the games I played the biggest problem was a total lack of team communication. The game has voice but nobody was using it. Teamplay is pretty forced even in TDM because if it's even one against two the lone guy gets hammered.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 14, 2012, 06:52 Theo

I really enjoyed the alpha, looking forward to more players being involved. Its not a traditional mechgame, more like a "arcade" mech game - that said it is excellent fun; and the load outs arnt as "thin on the ground" as you would think.

@Real1One, whatever that problem was mate, it wasn't a generic issue, i was running @ full res no issues.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

11. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 14, 2012, 06:46 Mordecai Walfish

Rea1One wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 20:51:
Hopefully you can choose higher then 720p resolution this time around. Not being able to play at 1080p sux.

1080p worked fine for me in the alpha that just ended last week.

10. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 14, 2012, 01:52 Shataan

"This has been billed as "Quake with Mechs".

I used to think that it would be like this. But it actually feels more like Virtua On as apposed to Quake. As for MWO, I don`t know what to think about it.

9. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 14, 2012, 01:23 RollinThundr

Axis wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 17:57:
This has been billed as "Quake with Mechs".

If you are looking for COD with mechs, MWO is there for you guys.

If you actually knew anything about MWO, you'd know that Assault is not the only mode the game will have going forward. Community Warfare is planned including the houses of the inner sphere, and eventually clan tech. And fighting for territory along fronts with different game modes.

If you're playing on a squad who has any clue when it comes to teamwork and working together, it's certainly not COD with mechs.

8. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 14, 2012, 01:03 RailWizard

Axis wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 17:57:

Quake with anything is a pretty poor hook seeing as quake is pretty much the best at what it was. If I feel like playing "quake with anything" there is always still Quake itself.

7. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 13, 2012, 21:41 Prez

Blech! Another pointless free-to-play multiplayer-only mech game. Nothing here at all for me.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 13, 2012, 20:51 Rea1One

Hopefully you can choose higher then 720p resolution this time around. Not being able to play at 1080p sux.  

5. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 13, 2012, 18:28 Cutter

siapnar wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 17:50:
I find it fun, and the graphics are pretty stunning, but yea I could see it getting old somewhat fast.

My sentiments exactly. I want and expect a lot more than just team deathmatch. It sure does look good though.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 13, 2012, 18:10 Dmitri_M

This looks like a Shogo: Mobile Armor Division update to me. Not all good mech games are called "Mechwarrior". I preferred Heavy Gear to Mechwarrior because the mechs were smaller and faster. So I don't mind twitch Quake style play with Mechs at all. Over the top twitch gameplay is refreshing these days. Especially compared to all the "realism" based shooters flooding the market.  

3. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 13, 2012, 17:57 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

2. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 13, 2012, 17:50 siapnar

I find it fun, and the graphics are pretty stunning, but yea I could see it getting old somewhat fast.  

I have projectile dysfunction.

1. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 13, 2012, 17:35 DangerDog

despite looking cool I'm not all that jazzed about playing call of duty type shooter with mechs*.

* team deathmatch, small maps, spammy weapons

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo