Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Consolidation

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 14, 2012, 12:35 HorrorScope

Flatline wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 02:09:
"Hardcore" gamers will grow up, get jobs, get married, have kids. They'll not stop playing, but they'll stop being hardcore.

You couldn't tell my children that. They know what they like and what they think is a gimick. I don't think we are alone.

I don't think he considers COD casual. I think he thinks Farmville is. Farmville != COD in my book.

Hardcore to me means, I'm not buying Solitaire I'm buying something much more involved. There are millions of minds that want something more.

What I find odd with your reply is you are over 10 years removed, but you post at a Hardcore gaming site or a gaming site at all. Not slamming you, but I don't make the connection. Those I know that don't play games, which are many, don't ever go to a gaming site at all, let alone sign up to post.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2012, 17:17.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Saturday Consolidation Oct 14, 2012, 11:23 SirKnight

SirKnight wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 11:22:
Smellfinger wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 15:53:
Lets give Trip credit for pioneering the idea of a $600+ console that normal people can't afford. 3DO was the original PS3, except without the price drop.

No the 3DO did get price drops. I bought mine (Goldstar 3DO) for $400. It was still relevant during that time as well.

5. Re: Saturday Consolidation Oct 14, 2012, 11:22 SirKnight

Smellfinger wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 15:53:
Lets give Trip credit for pioneering the idea of a $600+ console that normal people can't afford. 3DO was the original PS3, except without the price drop.

No the 3DO did get price drops. I bought mine (Panasonic 3DO) for $400. It was still relevant during that time as well.

4. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 14, 2012, 02:09 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 23:23:
"console market will never go away, but it will become smaller; says gaming has now become mass-market."

At face value that sounds stupid.

Then he goes on to say "Hardcores will keep it alive but get smaller". I guess he's predicting some hardcores will give up the ghost and become fashionable gamers. Not usually the case.

Now with the idea of Consoles are dying, I bet MS doesn't like the sound of that. The best thing they can do now is come out with a mofo killer console.

"Hardcore" gamers will grow up, get jobs, get married, have kids. They'll not stop playing, but they'll stop being hardcore. Plus, time and genetics take their toll. Eventually you just aren't as fast or as good as you used to be, even with daily training (which you can't afford to do any more).

My hardcore gaming days were over 10 years ago before I even left college, though I didn't realize it at the time.

Will the console market get smaller? Possibly, but doubtful. What he's not realizing is that as the hardcore market ages and shrinks, there's an entire generation of kids ready to step up and drink the kool aid and play Call of Duty 67: The Search for More Money. My generation remembers the Atari and the Commodore 64, the next generation grew up with games, and this generation after the current one grew up watching kids play games, and having games that are nearly photo-realistic. *Not* playing video games is going to be an odd concept to them.

As for "more innovation", I laugh at that. We're seeing two directions right now: Derivative as all hell games (regardless of if they're fun or not) and this weird, low budget retro crowdsourced kick that's going on. Hardly anything new there. Someone postulated if we're going back to our roots to see if anything new generates when you apply the old genres to a more indie format, but I dunno if I'd go that far.

3. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 14, 2012, 00:37 entr0py

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 23:23:
"console market will never go away, but it will become smaller; says gaming has now become mass-market."

Then he goes on to say "Hardcores will keep it alive but get smaller". I guess he's predicting some hardcores will give up the ghost and become fashionable gamers. Not usually the case.

Now with the idea of Consoles are dying, I bet MS doesn't like the sound of that. The best thing they can do now is come out with a mofo killer console.

I think he's suggesting that hardcore gamers = console gamers and ordinary gamers = facebook gamers. PC gamers are nowhere on the map. I guess if console gamers are pilots to him, we are astronauts.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2012, 01:07.

2. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 13, 2012, 23:23 HorrorScope

1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Oct 13, 2012, 15:53 Smellfinger

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo