Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I saw a reference today to Indiana Jones today that made me think of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, a recollection not as painful for me as it should be, as I have not seen the much-reviled latest installment in the series. This is because, as I've mentioned in the past, MrsBlue and I end up seeing a vast majority of movies after they come to cable/satellite, especially when the reviews are as mixed (to put it kindly) as they were for Indy 4. Which brings me to my point: Is Spielberg so embarrassed by this film he's keeping it off cable? It was released well over four years ago, and its absence from the small screen is starting to seem like the it's getting The Star Wars Holiday Special treatment. By all accounts this is deserved, but I remain masochistically curious to see it.

Masochistic Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Siegius Arena.
Stories: Florida man accused of returning used enemas. Thanks Gawker.
Seattle police seek more drones while two sit unused. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: Satellite Left Stranded by SpaceX Rocket Falls From Space.
Media: Minecraft Environmentalists.
The Onion Takes on TED.
This guy is awesome at kicking American footballs.
Follow-up: Brevity.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2012, 17:17 PHJF

"It's not the Alien movie I wanted."

No it's pretty awful regardless. And if we aren't supposed to compare it to Alien then they SHOULDN'T HAVE SOLD IT AS ALIEN. The entire Prometheus marketing campaign amounted to every soul involved playing cutesy-coy about its relation to Alien.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2012, 17:14 Wallshadows

Blade Runner should be contained in its own world. While the debate rages on whether Decker is a Replicant (in spite of Ridley saying he was), it really does end when the movie finished. Tie it up with the monologue and death of Rutger Hauer's character sealed its legacy as the best (in my opinion) sci-fi movie ever.

The only way I can see Ridley pushing a BR sequel is to find a way to merge the BR and Alien universe together through Prometheus as shown in the easter egg along with an interview done with him expressing his interest in doing this.

I swear to god, if it ends up with Weyland buying out the Tyrell Corporation to make automatons like Ash and Bishop and is the precursor to Hyperdyne Systems, well, I don't know...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2012, 16:59 pnag

nin wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 16:29:
...groan inducing stupidity.

I totally agree with that for both movies...except for the "decent flick"s part.

Jesus... A biologist tries to pet a deadly beast and a geologist with the coolest mapping technology gets lost - those minor bits were stupid.

What else? Don't give me shit about helmets, or an 'invitation' (Shaw's interpretation, which as she says herself was "so wrong".)

I'm totally sick of the Prometheus bashing, as whenever anyone actually says what it is they didn't like about it, it effectively amounts to, "It's not the Alien movie I wanted."

It's not an Alien movie!!! As Scott said, it's set in the same universe. That's it.

IJ4 was disgusting because three people responsible for Indy in the first place (Lucas, Spielberg and Ford) managed to royally fuck it up. It was like they'd never seen the other movies, never mind wrote/directed/starred in them.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2012, 16:29 nin

I think that IJ4 is like Prometheus. It's a decent flick on it's own, terrible in comparison to its predecessors, and full of lots of groan inducing stupidity.

I totally agree with that for both movies...except for the "decent flick"s part.

Honestly, at this point, I'm almost hoping Ridley gets cold feet on the Blade Runner sequel. But he still seems interested...

Oh and the fridge! How the fuck could I forget the fridge?!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2012, 16:03 Sepharo

I think that IJ4 is like Prometheus. It's a decent flick on it's own, terrible in comparison to its predecessors, and full of lots of groan inducing stupidity.

I actually saw it in the theater by myself since none of my friends would go with me.
Plinkett, as expected, has the definitive review/analysis.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2012, 16:10.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2012, 16:00 nin

eDave wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 15:41:
Yeah. Same here. Like Blue, I haven't seen it either yet everytime I see that it is on, I skip past. Is it ANY good?

Absolutely not...

Spoilers, but I'll s { them anyway...

1. Annoying, unnecessary sidekick.
2. They bring Marion back, only to basically have her stand around and smile.
3. A rubber snake thats so wildly rubber it's not even funny.
4. A fight atop moving vehicles thats obviously greenscreened.
5. An ending that was just...dumb, I guess is the best description. Aliens? Really?

I could go on, but that's off the top of my head, only seeing it once, years ago.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2012, 15:44 Wallshadows

You have been selected to hit the front lines and participate in the PlanetSide 2 Beta! With a variety of vehicles and weapons to choose from, PlanetSide 2 is about to bring massive combat on an epic scale to your doorstep and we want you there!

Well this is good news! I'll try it out later...

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2012, 15:41 eDave

Yeah. Same here. Like Blue, I haven't seen it either yet everytime I see that it is on, I skip past. Is it ANY good?  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2012, 15:38 Deathbishop

Crystal Skull has been on cable (TBS, Spike, maybe AMC) for awhile now, at least the past year if not longer.  

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo