Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

0x10c Interview; Test Footage

An article on PC Gamer talks with Mojang's Markus 'Notch' Persson and Tobias Möllstam about 0x10c, their upcoming space simulation. "The goal is to have it feel a bit like Firefly," says Notch. "You can try to land on a planet but you mess up and, instead of having the ship just explode like it would in real life, the landing gear gets broken. Then you have to try to fix that by finding resources. Instead of the adventure being flying from here to here, it’s: I set the destination, oh god I hit a small asteroid and the cloaking device broke. I think they really nailed that kind of emergent aspect in FTL." They also include a link to this trailer showing footage of a "first draft" of an "art test" for the game.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 12:33 NKD

Slashman wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 10:33:
In fact, if a small indie becomes as successful as Notch is saying that Minecraft made them, I think they're almost obligated to hit it out of the park with their next title in all areas compared to their last.

I don't really buy into the concept that indie's are obligated to spend millions and millions developing their next title if they are successful just to measure up to some arbitrary level of "Triple A" polish and art.

Minecraft was hugely successful with meager art and a shoestring budget. If Notch can't do it again, then him spending millions of more dollars is only going to get you a prettier failure, not a more successful game.

Cutter wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 11:23:
Oh yeah, and you couldn't find the kind of women I bang with a map.

I always suspected you were a 15 year old virgin. Now it is official and confirmed.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Steam Bestsellers Oct 13, 2012, 11:25 IQ

NKD wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 01:51:
Cutter wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 00:59:
Hey 1985 called and it wants its graphics back. Thanks but I'll be playing something gorgeous like X Rebirth instead.

Might as well call it X: Watered Down or EVE Online: Single Player Offline Mode.

Great, I've been looking for Eve offline.

26. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 11:23 Cutter

NKD wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 10:01:
I wouldn't dismiss a fat, ugly chick out of hand. Hell, I think most guys can attest that a fat, ugly chick looks 2 or 3 points higher if she's interesting, fun, or rich. Something tells me you're the guy in the bar who goes up to some 'fat, ugly chick' and calls her a nasty hambeast to her face and then proceeds to leave with a meth'd out trailer queen.

Well, I guess you'll just have to change you nick to Saint NKD because you're obviously so much, hipper, cooler, and moral by not wanting beautiful things. Then again maybe you just have poor eyesight or a thing for fat and ugly chicks. Well, you go ahead and enjoy your shitty looking game but the rest of us are aspiring to something easier on the eyes. In case you haven't heard, a good game and good graphics aren't mutually exclusive. Oh yeah, and you couldn't find the kind of women I bang with a map.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

25. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 10:56 Xil

very much like Esign-1 http://www.indiedb.com/games/ensign-1 , you can fly your schip, get out, walk around, explore etc. etc. Except ensign-1 is not by such a big studio so not getting much attention.  

24. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 10:33 Slashman

NKD wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 02:23:
And what could The Witcher 2 have been if they didn't spend so much time on art? The percentage of the average "Triple A" game development team made up of artists increases every year.

I dunno. Why don't you tell me what it could have been with your crystal ball. I only know that it was an excellent game that put a lot more expensive to produce games to shame with its quality and after sale support.

Also...the bulk of the budget for 'AAA' games goes into marketing and hype building. If developers got more of it, they could do even more.

Plus certain concepts, like freely designing your own starship like in 0x10c (from polys, not from blocks), would be complicated immensely if we were dealing with some kind of "halfway decent" graphics. Good luck getting fancy textures to look nice over arbitrary shapes.

Minecraft sold over 9.2 million according to sales figure from Notch. I think he could afford to do something slightly more than what we're seeing in that video.

In fact, if a small indie becomes as successful as Notch is saying that Minecraft made them, I think they're almost obligated to hit it out of the park with their next title in all areas compared to their last.

23. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 10:01 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 06:58:
You know being all high and mighty and acting like you're sophisticated because you don't care about graphics at all sounds all noble and shit, but we all know (including yourself) that it's BS. What graphics card do you have in your machine? It's fine that you don't mind playing graphically weak games, but it annoys me when people act like they are all virtuous and 'holier than thou' because of it.

Sorry, but I'm not going to feel bad or arrogant about giving a game a chance despite it's limited graphics, no matter how you want to frame it. For example, if I had ignored Dwarf Fortress because of ASCII graphics, I'd have missed out on a lot of hours of fun and one of the deepest games currently available.

Cutter wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 04:48:

Yeah, and I suppose you date nothing but fat, ugly chicks because you're such a paragon of virtue that things like aesthetics and beauty mean nothing to you, right? Well fuck a duck. I may be shallow but at least I bang hot chicks and I play games that look nice.

I wouldn't dismiss a fat, ugly chick out of hand. Hell, I think most guys can attest that a fat, ugly chick looks 2 or 3 points higher if she's interesting, fun, or rich. Something tells me you're the guy in the bar who goes up to some 'fat, ugly chick' and calls her a nasty hambeast to her face and then proceeds to leave with a meth'd out trailer queen.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

22. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 09:49 ItBurn

Doubting this is like doubting an early version of Minecraft. You can't judge this until you play it. One thing's certain, it'll let you do things you've never seen in a game before.  

21. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 09:44 WyldKat

The fully emulated computer aspect is pretty cool, but I was hoping they would up the graphics fidelity a bit on this one.

The gameplay sounds like it might just make up for that, though. We'll see, so long as it has CoOp I'll probably pick it up. Multiplayer ships are cool.

20. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 09:09 PHJF

At least Minecraft managed to look charming... this just looks flat-out dull.

It's not like it's super challenging to make the cosmos look pleasing. Shiny stars, big ol nebulae, that sort of thing.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 06:58 Prez

I'm in love with the concept; it's the "seeing it in action" part that leaves me cold. I'm okay with less-than-stellar visuals (I still play the original X-COM for chrissake), but I'd prefer my games not to be butt ugly. I suppose visually this is a step up from Minecraft, but that isn't saying much. I'm chalking this one up to "I'm not the target audience, so move along." I'll try it out, but if it's anything like Minecraft I doubt I'll stick with it for long. I don't want to play a game that I'm embarrassed to be seen playing when my kids' posse of friends come over.

By the way graphics whores such as yourself are the reason we can't have nice things. Gotta spend 80 billion dollars on artists.

You know being all high and mighty and acting like you're sophisticated because you don't care about graphics at all sounds all noble and shit, but we all know (including yourself) that it's BS. What graphics card do you have in your machine? It's fine that you don't mind playing graphically weak games, but it annoys me when people act like they are all virtuous and 'holier than thou' because of it.

And what could The Witcher 2 have been if they didn't spend so much time on art?

An uglier game - duh. What a stupid question - it's not like The Witcher 2 wasn't a frickin' awesome RPG, and implying that it would have been 100% better if they made it 100% uglier is retarded. Stop pretending that visuals aren't part of the gaming experience, because they clearly are. How much emphasis one puts on them is subjective and differs from person to person, but pretending you don't care at all makes you just sound like a poseur.

Well fuck a duck. I may be shallow but at least I bang hot chicks and I play games that look nice.

HAHA! Me too! On the second part. Not so much on the first...

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2012, 07:16.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 06:47 pagb

Looks like Quake2 with stencil shadows  

17. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 05:07 Dmitri_M

Every time a developer talks about emergent gameplay where things can go wrong in unexpected ways their title is either cancelled, delayed forever or is released with much simpler more traditional gameplay to the disappointment of gamers everywhere. Still, I hope they manage to pull it off. I'd play it. Right now though it sounds like high concept vapourware.

Oh and cutter once again proves in this thread that he's a slimy critter from planet fuckhead.

16. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 04:48 Cutter

Hey 1985 called and it wants its graphics back. Thanks but I'll be playing something gorgeous like X Rebirth instead.

Might as well call it X: Watered Down or EVE Online: Single Player Offline Mode.

Not even the same genre. By the way graphics whores such as yourself are the reason we can't have nice things. Gotta spend 80 billion dollars on artists.

Yeah, and I suppose you date nothing but fat, ugly chicks because you're such a paragon of virtue that things like aesthetics and beauty mean nothing to you, right? Well fuck a duck. I may be shallow but at least I bang hot chicks and I play games that look nice.

Hellbinder wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 02:55:
one hit wonder my ass.

Only time will tell whether Notch is a one hit wonder or not, so need to go all fanboy to defend him. I still say Mincecraft sucks and is ugly as sin, and I still say he's out and out lied about his sales numbers. The guy is s douche and so are his fans...like you.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

15. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 04:02 Sepharo

Just two negative posts, hardly a consensus and nothing to be shocked about.

I think most people are excited for a sandbox space game on a ship (instead of being one) with programmable operations from the creator of Minecraft.

14. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 02:55 Hellbinder

leave it to blues posters to make idiotic comments like some in this thread have... with a game description like this from the article?

"What is clear, however, is that this is a project of considerable ambition, which brings together the principles of player-creation, multiplayer and resource-gathering that established Minecraft’s success, and pitches that into an Elite-style space-game. "

simple workable graphics are going to be perfect for this game. I think this game will make many more millions of dollars for Notch.

one hit wonder my ass.

The Whales name is Bob.

13. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 02:36 netnerd85

Hey 1985 called and it wants its graphics back.
You know DAMN well that 1985 didn't have any where near that level of graphics. If you're going to be "reow" about it, at least be an accurate catty one.

12. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 02:33 Beamer

big thumbs up from me. Shocked at the reactions here. Ftl fps? Sold  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 02:23 NKD

Slashman wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 02:16:
Because of course, halfway decent graphics means that the rest of the game has to be crap. Gee...I wonder how The Witcher 2 team did it?

And what could The Witcher 2 have been if they didn't spend so much time on art? The percentage of the average "Triple A" game development team made up of artists increases every year.

Plus certain concepts, like freely designing your own starship like in 0x10c (from polys, not from blocks), would be complicated immensely if we were dealing with some kind of "halfway decent" graphics. Good luck getting fancy textures to look nice over arbitrary shapes.

10. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 02:16 Sepharo

SirKnight wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 01:14:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 00:57:
SirKnight wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 00:22:
The TF2 soldier with combustible lemons is there?
What TF2 soldier?
Very beginning and again near the end.
You've gone mad. Seeing TF2 soldiers in space...

9. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 02:16 Slashman

Not even the same genre. By the way graphics whores such as yourself are the reason we can't have nice things. Gotta spend 80 billion dollars on artists.

Because of course, halfway decent graphics means that the rest of the game has to be crap. Gee...I wonder how The Witcher 2 team did it?

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo