Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Ars Technica - Why on-disc downloadable content isnít the crime itís made out to be.
So let's all settle down. Just because a portion of a game disc is locked away as DLC doesn't mean you're getting ripped off. Both games and DLC are still value propositions that have to be judged on their own merits, regardless of whether they're available on disc from day one or not. You're not entitled to free content just because it's on the disc, or because it's taking away from what "should" have been in the core game. Don't like it? Don't buy it!

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

12. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 14:28 Cutter

*cough* That shill can suck my balls *cough*

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 14:22 Phasenoise

The final paragraph does make sense of course, ranting aside.
"Both games and DLC are still value propositions that have to be judged on their own merits, regardless of whether they're available on disc from day one or not."

If the base game is worth it on its own, buy it. If it isn't, don't. The fact that there may or may not be content on the disc is irrelevant for this decision.
As many like to say here, "wait for the steam sale" and buy the Gold version in a few months for half the price if you're bothered.

10. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 13:25 Beamer

I'm going to defer to Jerykk here.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 13:14 SXO

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 12:15:
This is akin to Amazon selling you the kindle version of a book, but charging you extra if you want to read the chapters that it deems aren't really important to the overall plot of the book.

What? You got the gist, right? You don't NEED those extra chapters. Just because they are already on your Kindle doesn't mean you are entitled to read them without paying more.

You bought the Avengers on bluray, but we locked out 20 minutes of the movie that we deemed "extra." You have to pay more to see it. What? A different unit worked on those scenes. You're not entitled to them just because they are on the disc.

This guys argument is bullshit, and I think he knows it. Fluff for fluff's sake.
This is an excellent example, and I think I'm gonna use it from now on when debating this topic.

8. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 12:53 Tumbler

So let's all settle down. Just because a portion of a game disc is locked away as DLC doesn't mean you're getting ripped off.

You can't call disc locked content dlc. DLC stands for DOWNLOADABLE Content. Calling this dlc is clearly deceptive marketing trying to make the consumer comfortable with this shitty practice. Everyone hates on disc locked content so well just call it dlc because gamers seem to like that better.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

7. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 12:52 Prez

Completely ignoring the idiotic comparisons and vitriol of the troll post below me, I'll just say that I respect the author's opinion (he at least made decent arguments in support of it) but I still disagree with him - charging for already on-disc DLC is a shady, shifty, and lame practice in my opinion. It was bad enough when EA was deliberately leaving gaping holes in the content for 'The Sims' so they could charge for it later in the form of expansions, but this practice is even worse in my view - it indicates a pretty cynical and disrespectful attitude towards customers.

I have no problem buying DLC when it is made after a game is released (or even made concurrently but completed after the main game ships) and it really adds something substantial to the main game, but charging extra for content that shipped with the main game makes me feel inclined not to support the developer.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2012, 12:59.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. removed Oct 12, 2012, 12:48 ABVH

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 12, 2012, 18:09.

5. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 12:21 NegaDeath

They can justify it with as many graphs as they want, the perception will always remain that they are nickle and diming customers. And apparently some developers are quite comfortable with that. That tells me all I need to know.  

4. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 12:15 Agent.X7

This is akin to Amazon selling you the kindle version of a book, but charging you extra if you want to read the chapters that it deems aren't really important to the overall plot of the book.

What? You got the gist, right? You don't NEED those extra chapters. Just because they are already on your Kindle doesn't mean you are entitled to read them without paying more.

You bought the Avengers on bluray, but we locked out 20 minutes of the movie that we deemed "extra." You have to pay more to see it. What? A different unit worked on those scenes. You're not entitled to them just because they are on the disc.

This guys argument is bullshit, and I think he knows it. Fluff for fluff's sake.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

3. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 11:02 Verno

The article makes a few good points but all DLC isn't created equal. There is stuff that has on disc components out of necessity and there is stuff that is entirely on disc just for the sake of greed.

Something the author ignores is that the inherent nature of publishers is to keep pushing for profit and history has shown they will readily do that even to the detriment of consumers. There is a common sense argument that they need to keep consumers happy to keep themselves in business but the reality is that there are more than enough casual consumers in the world to support idiotic practices.

I don't think all DLC is some evil greedy attempt to steal my money but I often find the value proposition a bit iffy and weighted more towards to the publisher. I think there are less than 10 total pieces of DLC that I've found pretty memorable. I think expansions were a better compromise creatively and profit-wise but publishers don't like the risk involved compared to short DLC.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

2. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 10:54 SirKnight

Yep, horse shit article.  

1. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 10:53 InBlack

Two words: Fucking shill.  

I have a nifty blue line!

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >