Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 12, 2012, 20:23 HorrorScope

PC sales were down like 2% for they year or so from what I read the other day. OMG, run to the hills! Collapse? Sensationalists. Then again what market of PC are we talking, servers, business desktops, home, enthusiast? I mean for us all that I guess matters is home/enthusiast. It was still hundreds of millions of units sold.

These percentages are things Wall Street can sweat. I don't think it relates to hardcore gaming all that much.

Consoles are down a WHOPPING 24%, now there should be your headline.

Here is the article: (Put both lines together)
http://www.techspot.com/news/
50457-pc-shipments-fall-for-first-time-since-2001.html

"However, for the first time in nearly 11 years (according to Cnet), annual PC sales appear to be on the decline."

"iSuppli's numbers aren't particularly scary -- shipments are only down by 1.2 percent from this time last year"

"Manufacturers have shipped about 348.695 million PCs thus far, down from last year's 352.831 million."

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2012, 20:30.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: PC Marketing blah blah Oct 12, 2012, 19:40 Prez

After playing XCOM for some (lots) hours I have to say XCOM is a great game but I still prefer Xenonauts for an awesome experience more faithful with the series. Not that XCOM is bad, not at all, I just think Xenonauts manages to be a good bit better.

Oh I am totally itching for Xenonauts as well. I'm kind of glad it and XCOM didn't come out at the same time. I can play XCOM now for 200 hours then switch to Xenonauts for a change of pace.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: PC Marketing blah blah Oct 12, 2012, 17:11 Steele Johnson

Zanderat1 wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 12:09:
Ya, I need firepower for both my work and my gaming that tablets and phones simply can't deliver. I expect the next generation of gaming consoles will have a trickle down effect of boosting pc hardware needs in order to keep up.

Yeah, but I give it another year or two (given the Intel pipeline), and mobile devices will have more than enough power to do most tasks. Just a matter of time... you'll see.

21. Re: PC Marketing blah blah Oct 12, 2012, 17:09 Steele Johnson

You don't need a pc for typing. You can currently buy a doc for your iOS or Android phone that has a monitor and a keyboard. So yeah, the pc and Mac are generally not needed anymore for the average consumer (especially with things like MS Office coming to iOS, Android, and WinPhone8).  

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 12, 2012, 16:24 Parallax Abstraction

Gotta' love analysts who consider a few percentage points a "collapse". And the lazy outlets like BetaNews that clamour to quote them in order to generate clicks through controversy.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 12, 2012, 16:18 Julio

I replaced my PC early, just so I could get a Win 7 machine and avoid Windows 8. No longer do I build my own machines, there's only so much time to go around, and I'd rather save the time and buy prebuilt.  

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 12, 2012, 16:09 Beamer

Dev wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 15:55:
Beamer wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 15:27:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 15:08:
only businesses buy brand name pc desktop/towers - just about everyone else puts their own system together, better components and lower price.

HAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
::coughs, wheezes, takes a few minutes to catch breath::

It's a growing percentage, sure, as many of the former desktop buyers have moved on beyond the platform, but there's no way it's "just about every [non business].
Yep. Places like alienware wouldn't exist if gamers and other non business purchases didn't want to pay tons of extra money for a prebuilt higher end computer. Some people just dont want to take the time to build, and they have enough money to not care that its significantly more.

Most people don't like building their own.
For one, DangerDog didn't say gamers, he said all non-businesses. Gamers are only a fraction of desktop users. A growing one, as non-gamers leave the form factor, but still a fraction.

But even then plenty don't have the knowledge. They don't want to take the time. They don't want to take the risk. And they don't want to lose the support. I've built 4 of my 7 computers. The only one I didn't build past HS was a Dell that was purchased for less than the cost of the goods on Newegg (back when you could get a $750 off $2000 coupon.) The HDD came DOA. Dell sent someone to my house the next day to swap it out, which he did with one that had double the capacity. That was a very nice perk, and had I purchased the HDD and had to RMA it I would have been furious and it would have been very time consumer.
Most people don't want to bother with that. They want something that works, and if it doesn't they want it to be someone else's problem.

Of course, that Dell ended up a nightmare. The PSU was underpowered, custom sized so not swappable, and started having very serious issues. I got 4 years out of that Dell (longer than any PC I built, but because I typically replaced them after 2-3), but the last year was touch-and-go with the PSU.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 12, 2012, 16:05 Ozmodan

Have to laugh at all the pundits declaring the death of the PC. They ignore one basic fact, you just cannot do a lot of stuff on a tablet you can do on a PC and a lot of the stuff you can do on a tablet is easier to do on a PC.

Some things suit a tablet more. There will always be some for of PC's.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 12, 2012, 15:55 Dev

Beamer wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 15:27:
only businesses buy brand name pc desktop/towers - just about everyone else puts their own system together, better components and lower price.

It's a growing percentage, sure, as many of the former desktop buyers have moved on beyond the platform, but there's no way it's "just about every [non business].
Yep. Places like alienware wouldn't exist if gamers and other non business purchases didn't want to pay tons of extra money for a prebuilt higher end computer. Some people just dont want to take the time to build, and they have enough money to not care that its significantly more.

15. Re: PC Marketing blah blah Oct 12, 2012, 15:46 The Half Elf

Prez wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 13:38:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 13:13:
Prez wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 13:06:
let me leave this public service message: XCOM!!!!!!!!!
and you wanted to skip this game, remember?

Something about the level of excitement among the normally-cynical blues regulars made me re-think it ... thank you Bluesnews! Free games for everyone at the Steam Xmas sale!

I pass on Snuggle Truck!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 12, 2012, 15:27 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 12, 2012, 15:24 Dev

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 15:13:
only businesses buy brand name pc desktop/towers -
Which is why this drop in PC sales will be even more drastic ones Win8 is out. I did not hear about too many businesses that wants to upgrade to Win8. Unless retailers will offer Win7 versions with their PC build, sales will not be pretty.
As I've mentioned numerous times on blues threads about this before, that WILL NOT MATTER.

Businesses mostly buy windows as volume licenses (you can get those for as little as 5 total licenses last I checked). When you buy one of those, it basically gives you rights for that version, and many previous versions (like if you get win 7, you get vista, XP, etc). So a business buying a windows license will still be counted by MS as a windows 8 sale, even though businesses will be buying it to use windows 8. Also, those licenses usually are "upgrade" ones and require a full license... which is usually from buying a new computer. So a each business computer will actually usually account for 2 windows "sales"

In other words, their sales are unlikely to be much changed, even though adoption rates may be very low among businesses.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 12, 2012, 15:13 SpectralMeat

only businesses buy brand name pc desktop/towers -
Which is why this drop in PC sales will be even more drastic ones Win8 is out. I did not hear about too many businesses that wants to upgrade to Win8. Unless retailers will offer Win7 versions with their PC build, sales will not be pretty.

Steam: SpectralMeat

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 12, 2012, 15:08 DangerDog

there are lego sets that are more complicated than putting together a pc.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 12, 2012, 14:51 Beelzebud

MS is a victim of their own success. The success of the Xbox360 means that game developers target those system specs. What that also means is that if your PC exceeds those specs there is no reason to upgrade at all. I'm on a machine that was built in 2007. It has a quad core CPU and 6GB of RAM. The video card was replaced in 2010, and it still plays everything I throw at it with no problems.

There is simply no reason to upgrade. Why move to Windows 8, when 7 does everything I need it to? I don't want the Metro UI, so Win8 would be a step back.

9. Re: PC Marketing blah blah Oct 12, 2012, 14:32 ASeven

Something about the level of excitement among the normally-cynical blues regulars made me re-think it ... thank you Bluesnews! Free games for everyone at the Steam Xmas sale!

After playing XCOM for some (lots) hours I have to say XCOM is a great game but I still prefer Xenonauts for an awesome experience more faithful with the series. Not that XCOM is bad, not at all, I just think Xenonauts manages to be a good bit better.

8. Re: PC Marketing blah blah Oct 12, 2012, 14:30 Cutter

Yeah, I tried not to cave but I'm glad I did. Lovin it!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: PC Marketing blah blah Oct 12, 2012, 13:38 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: PC Marketing blah blah Oct 12, 2012, 13:13 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: PC Marketing blah blah Oct 12, 2012, 13:06 Prez

Well Verno posted exactly what Inwas going to say so thanks for saving me the trouble. Instead let me leave this public service message: XCOM!!!!!!!!!  

- Mahatma Gandhi

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo