Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch

The 2K Games Forums have a list of the changes in a new patch for XCOM: Enemy Unknown that's now available to update the newly released installment in the counter-UFO strategy series (thanks Scott). Here's word on what this does:

We wanted to let you know the details for the PC update for XCOM: Enemy Unknown that went live today (10/11/12). I've included the notes on this patch below:

• Various visibility/hiding optimizations
  • Multiplayer text chat support (press J to activate)
  • Mouse button 4/5 will switch soldiers in the Barracks
  • ESC hides the movement grid, if you do not want to commit to a move while it is activated
  • Squad Sight ability optimization
  • Fixed issue when equipping two grenades with Deep Pockets.
  • Fixed Rapid Fire sometimes consuming too much ammo.
  • SHIVs that are damaged will no longer become unusable.
  • Fixed some hangs/soft crashes in tactical combat.
  • Replaced software cursor with the operating system cursor to reduce lag and framerate dependence.
  • Fixed rendering bug which causes some soldier’s hair to appear as if it is rendering on top of environment fog.
  • 1080p movies are now used at all times on the PC.

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

49. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 13:21 SpectralMeat

Prez wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 13:13:
Dan Stapleton of PC Gamer once wrote in an X-COM retrospective that naming your favorite soldier after yourself was a must because it made you care even more about him but it also had the effect of telling the aliens to hunt him down and kill him at all costs. Somehow they * always* knew. So true! I am trying it now in my current game.
I believe there are some game developer names you can give your soldiers that makes them super soldiers also but that will disable the achievements. I've read that somewhere but of course I can not find it anymore.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 13:15 Dev

One thing I've been disappointed vs original in is that the baddies have same sight range as you do. Does that change on higher difficulties? I'm playing the normal medium difficulty right now.
I understand why they did it, I'm guessing players got frustrated with dying out of nowhere from the original. And they cranked up the difficulty enough that you still die pretty frequently, especially at the start.
Just a little nit pick. Overall I'm quite enjoying the game.

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 05:23:
1. It looks like countries don't leave xcom funding until the end of the month, so if you have the opportunity, use your satellite before the end of the month.

This is great. I've had so many countries leave xcom because I couldn't get satellites up fast enough - I eventually started over. I'll still have that issue but this will slow it down. I assume there's no "perfect game" where you can prevent all countries from dropping before the end.

Edit: They also changed the default QuickSave key from F12 to F10. Now I won't take a screenshot every time I quick save
I have a perfect game by that definition so far. But I've been save/loading a lot
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 10:25:
It just seems weird that Countries are all panicked but I did not even have a chance to send a satellite over them and save them. Not because I've made wrong choices in the game but the game just doesn't let me build the appropriate building for more satellites yet.
That kinda thing (countries going to crap for unknown reasons) happened in original too. Its usually because the baddies have put a base or done missions in that area that you haven't picked up on yet since you dont have coverage over there. Another reason to build a sat in the worst panicking areas first

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2012, 13:22.

47. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 13:13 Prez

Bucky wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 12:55:
I just lost Col. Tucker, my first really serious blow. 43 kills, 17 missions, and my god-like sniper had two chrysallids rape him because I made a dumb move.

This game is great.

Yeah, any game that can make me so attached to my characters that I almost want to cry out in pain when I lose one is brilliant in my book. It's like losing your queen in chess unexpectedly times ten. Dan Stapleton of PC Gamer once wrote in an X-COM retrospective that naming your favorite soldier after yourself was a must because it made you care even more about him but it also had the effect of telling the aliens to hunt him down and kill him at all costs. Somehow they * always* knew. So true! I am trying it now in my current game.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2012, 13:20.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

46. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 12:55 Bucky

I just lost Col. Tucker, my first really serious blow. 43 kills, 17 missions, and my god-like sniper had two chrysallids rape him because I made a dumb move.

This game is great.

45. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 11:23 Creston

ochentay4 wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 09:44:
Hi, its COJONES not CAJONES. Cojones=Balls / Cajones/Drawer. Nevertheless, Im happy for you! I couldnt buy it yet!

Donde esta la bibliotheca
me llamo t-bone
la arana discotheca!

Creston

44. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 11:02 SpectralMeat

I don't remember even seeing the uplink in the list of buildings that is my problem. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough but I will check it out tonight. Was just getting a bit frustrating that Countries are already panicking and I did not even have a chance to save them.  

43. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 10:35 InBlack

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 10:25:
Bhruic wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 10:16:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 09:10:
So how do I build more uplink stations so I can launch more satellites if I do not have the option from the build menu yet? There are already 2 Countries that are red, but I can not launch any satellites over them.

You should start with the option to build them, although it'll almost certainly be greyed out early on - they require a fair number of engineers to build. Doing an abduction mission or two with engineer rewards is a good way to ensure you can get them out quickly.

Thanks I will keep an eye on that. It just seems weird that Countries are all panicked but I did not even have a chance to send a satellite over them and save them. Not because I've made wrong choices in the game but the game just doesn't let me build the appropriate building for more satellites yet.

I wanted to launch a satelite and the game said I need an uplink first, so then I tried to build an uplink and the game said I need more engineers, then I built a workshop (which gave me more engineers) then proceeded to build an uplink and PRESTO!

It really was quite easy to figure out. I do think the old Xcom had a much better strategy meta game. It was basically the same thing only it gave you a few more options, in some ways this NEW Xcom is much harder to handle in the strategic section than the old game. (Which let you hire engineers if you had space for them for example)

Wow I cant believe I just typed those words...A game from 2012 that is HARDER than a 90's classic?? If you are on the fence about this game, you should buy it for that fact alone

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2012, 10:41.

I have a nifty blue line!

42. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 10:25 SpectralMeat

Bhruic wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 10:16:
So how do I build more uplink stations so I can launch more satellites if I do not have the option from the build menu yet? There are already 2 Countries that are red, but I can not launch any satellites over them.

You should start with the option to build them, although it'll almost certainly be greyed out early on - they require a fair number of engineers to build. Doing an abduction mission or two with engineer rewards is a good way to ensure you can get them out quickly.

Thanks I will keep an eye on that. It just seems weird that Countries are all panicked but I did not even have a chance to send a satellite over them and save them. Not because I've made wrong choices in the game but the game just doesn't let me build the appropriate building for more satellites yet.

41. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 10:18 InBlack

1AngryGamer wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 09:24:
Does this game have random generated missions or is it all a set of scripted scenarios? How is replayibility

Its mostly random missions interspaced with story objectives and missions. I say mostly random as in there are more random missions then story mission, although that also depends on how you play the game.

There is also a race against time, Im pretty certain that certain events occurr after a fixed ammount time during your gameplay so eventually things will happen that force your hand and if you play badly you will lose. Yes you can LOSE in this game, how often does that happen in any modern game.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2012, 10:24.

I have a nifty blue line!

40. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 10:16 Bhruic

39. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 10:04 nin

Slashman wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 10:01:
Slashman wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 23:32:
And finally the game unlocked for me and a patch to boot!!!

I'm playing normal/ironman. I don't think I have the cajones for classic/ironman. I'll attempt that once my but is finished getting kicked on normal. Dunce
Hi, its COJONES not CAJONES. Cojones=Balls / Cajones/Drawer. Nevertheless, Im happy for you! I couldnt buy it yet!

Wait...is that drawer like the thing you pull out of a desk or drawers like underwear? If it's the latter, it could still technically work for that sentence.

Or slamming your cojones in the cajones...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

38. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 10:01 Slashman

I'm playing normal/ironman. I don't think I have the cajones for classic/ironman. I'll attempt that once my but is finished getting kicked on normal. Dunce

Wait...is that drawer like the thing you pull out of a desk or drawers like underwear? If it's the latter, it could still technically work for that sentence.

Also, I have the tutorial enabled for my first game, I assume it will eventually unlock everything and let you do whatever you want after you cover the basics right?

37. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 09:44 ochentay4

36. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 09:42 DG

Hmm well that Total Biscuit video was good, thanks NIN. Covered everything I'd not liked in the demo but loving the game anyway.

In demo it all seemed to be one shot kills and the enemy getting the jump on you every time, which was just ass. The vid makes it look like there's more usually a move or two first - or more if throwing a sensor - plus able to dodge or absorb a shot or two.

Might pick this up in a sale, when a bit of patching has been done too. On other hand might be looking for a game, and Firaxis seem to take a while before putting their games in Steam sales - or is that just the Civ series?

35. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 09:24 Angrius Maximis

Does this game have random generated missions or is it all a set of scripted scenarios? How is replayibility  

34. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 09:12 Verno

peteham wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 05:47:
Witcher 2 had this problem on Steam. Everything bundled up into one huge pak file of sorts. The first couple of Steam patches basically amounted to redownloading the entire 15GB game, whereas the standalone patch for the GoG version was just a couple of megs.

Strange, Steam has been able to delta patch for awhile now I thought. Maybe it's just a result of whatever packing format was used.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

33. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 09:11 Prez

DG wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 08:38:
So lots of folks talking positively about this game. From the demo, I just didn't see it, got bored even before completing the first mission where you can actually choose where to put people. The voiceovers, terrible FMV etc do not help either. Is the demo a reasonable reflection of the game?

The game is largely about the tactical battles, though the strategy meta game is equally engrossing to me. I'm kind of thinking that if those things you mentioned bothered you then you probably won't like the game, though the tactical battles get more complex and meaningful when taken as part of the long game and you get later in the game. It may grow on you though; I wasn't convinced this was going to be a true XCOM game with the demo alone myself. I bought the game and played for dozens of hours though and I now think it is a true XCOM experience.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 09:10 SpectralMeat

31. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 09:09 Fibrocyte

Yes, although I would rate the voiceovers and FMV as average (far from terrible). I play a game like this primarily for the mechanics, not the visuals/audio.

Also, it is not easy. If you minimize your reloads because you made a mistake then the game is really quite challenging and entertaining.

30. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 09:06 Prez

Question for those in the knowhow: Assault troops with shotgun or Assault troops with laser rifle?

I prefer laser rifles so they are effective from more than just short range, but that's not "better" just personal preference. I was thinking maybe the improved arc thrower for their close quarters attack with the run and gun skill.

- Mahatma Gandhi

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo