Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch

The 2K Games Forums have a list of the changes in a new patch for XCOM: Enemy Unknown that's now available to update the newly released installment in the counter-UFO strategy series (thanks Scott). Here's word on what this does:

We wanted to let you know the details for the PC update for XCOM: Enemy Unknown that went live today (10/11/12). I've included the notes on this patch below:

• Various visibility/hiding optimizations
  • Multiplayer text chat support (press J to activate)
  • Mouse button 4/5 will switch soldiers in the Barracks
  • ESC hides the movement grid, if you do not want to commit to a move while it is activated
  • Squad Sight ability optimization
  • Fixed issue when equipping two grenades with Deep Pockets.
  • Fixed Rapid Fire sometimes consuming too much ammo.
  • SHIVs that are damaged will no longer become unusable.
  • Fixed some hangs/soft crashes in tactical combat.
  • Replaced software cursor with the operating system cursor to reduce lag and framerate dependence.
  • Fixed rendering bug which causes some soldier’s hair to appear as if it is rendering on top of environment fog.
  • 1080p movies are now used at all times on the PC.

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 16, 2012, 05:31 Tanto Edge

After spending some time on the XCOM forums and digging through the ini files it's pretty simple to see why the aliens have such an advantage.
I played through on Classic the first time through and I thought it was odd how incredibly capable the aliens were.

The developers saw fit to give the aliens a permanent bonus to shooting, and critical hits.

The ability to shoot down UFOs before they get to their abduction and terror sites is actually a feature in the game that is turned off with a simple 0 (and turned on with 1).

You can also control how many aliens are active at once on a map, and a slew of other variables.

[url=http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?158376-Anti-cheating-mod-and-real-ufos-released!-Classic-difficult-only
]There's a mod here.[/url]
Have a read, download and enjoy a slightly tweaked game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 14, 2012, 11:19 Creston

Dev wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 04:29:
Well some of the "LOS" issues I think are confusion over how the game mechanics work. The "cover" thing really is just a reduction to the "to hit" percentages of a shot. It doesn't have much to do with LOS. Full cover gives a big bonus, half cover gives a smaller bonus. In original x-com, if you were around the corner, you were out of LOS. You had to step out to be in LOS.

In this one, if you are around a corner, you are still in LOS, but you have a defense bonus. When you fire, you lean out to shoot. You can both be around a different corner's of a hallway and still have LOS to shoot each other. If you hang back an extra space though, you will be out of LOS. So to truly hide behind a corner out of LOS, one needs to adjust thinking to be an extra space further behind corner. And of course anything thats only half cover, people can usually shoot you since it doesn't do anything for LOS blocking.

I've accepted the fact that half-cover is basically no cover at all, and that the aliens are far more accurate than even my best sniper. And if my full cover is a tree, I've accepted that I am apparently bigger than the tree, so they can still hit me.

But the game takes shots that are literally impossible, and that's just annoying. Because then it just removes any and all strategy aspect. The original Xcom took LoS into account, why doesn't this one?

Creston

67. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 14, 2012, 04:29 Dev

Well some of the "LOS" issues I think are confusion over how the game mechanics work. The "cover" thing really is just a reduction to the "to hit" percentages of a shot. It doesn't have much to do with LOS. Full cover gives a big bonus, half cover gives a smaller bonus. In original x-com, if you were around the corner, you were out of LOS. You had to step out to be in LOS.

In this one, if you are around a corner, you are still in LOS, but you have a defense bonus. When you fire, you lean out to shoot. You can both be around a different corner's of a hallway and still have LOS to shoot each other. If you hang back an extra space though, you will be out of LOS. So to truly hide behind a corner out of LOS, one needs to adjust thinking to be an extra space further behind corner. And of course anything thats only half cover, people can usually shoot you since it doesn't do anything for LOS blocking.

They did it to get the whole cover system going, and allow flanking, etc, without getting too complicated and caught up in lots of details. Same thing as to why they did a "move action/shoot action" kinda thing instead of action points. Still gets most of the turn based play across, but reduces the fiddlyness of it.

Now as to if you like that system or not, thats personal preference. And there's other more faithful remakes out there for x-com fans who prefer stuff closer to original. I think xenonauts for instance.

Maybe there's still LOS bugs, but I haven't seen them. I've seen the weird can't hit someone when near them, but I figured that was just randomness. And snipers hit chances reduce when too close. But now that I think about it, there could be bug in that code somewhere, it seems to happen fairly often. Like 2 or 3 ppl close by with high percentages not hitting.

Anyway, I like the game overall. Some things I'm not as much of a fan of, but I think they did an admirable job at getting the game out, keeping true to the x-com game play feeling (even if not so much in the exact mechanics), and yet making it easier for console types to get into.

Oh, and turn that stupid tutorial off. Ugh.

66. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 14, 2012, 00:41 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 23:08:
LoS in this game is seriously, seriously, seriously fucking BROKEN. Basically it doesn't really matter what kind of cover you have. If you're in range of an alien's gun, it will fire at you and most times it WILL hit you.

This turns it into not so much a game of tactics, as a game of health management. I'm actually getting kind of irritated with it, especially since that kind of bullshit puts my guy back in the hospital for 10 days.
This seems to be a continuing theme of complaints. I never played the original, but have been considering giving this version a try. I think I'm going to wait a bit and hope for a patch that fixes this problem. If it doesn't get fixed I might try it when I run out of other games...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

65. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 14, 2012, 00:20 Paranoid Jack

I too am waiting on a patch to address the LOS issues. Though I am trying to keep playing on. At this point I have put in a lot of hours and need to back off a bit anyway. I haven't played in two days because I had missed out on so much sleep. Plus I was starting to dream XCom.

I've also had a trooper Run & Gun up next to a target and miss the alien with a 100% to hit chance while standing next to it (point blank)... with a Shotgun?

I think I yelled, WTF! And my wife asked if everything was ok.

Hell, no, its not ok! I just got ganked by the game.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2012, 00:25.

64. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 13, 2012, 23:08 Creston

I've had aliens hit me when they had no LOS, I was hidden on the same side of the door as they were (Ie, the door faces north, the alien is to the East of the door, one level up and hiding behind an air conditioning vent and I'm hiding on the East side of said door. NO WAY he can see me, OR hit me, I'm under full cover, and they fire and do four damage.)

LoS in this game is seriously, seriously, seriously fucking BROKEN. Basically it doesn't really matter what kind of cover you have. If you're in range of an alien's gun, it will fire at you and most times it WILL hit you.

This turns it into not so much a game of tactics, as a game of health management. I'm actually getting kind of irritated with it, especially since that kind of bullshit puts my guy back in the hospital for 10 days.

I also completed a mission and never got a "Continue" button, and the whole thing was basically just stuck. I had to end task the game. And then I had to replay the whole fucking thing. So now I'm just going to save right before finishing one, because that was really irritating.

I'm enjoying the game, but I play it for two hours or so, and then I get tired of the bullshit alien hits and I go back to playing Guild Wars 2. I don't mind the difficulty and I don't mind losing, but I do mind losing because an alien can fire THROUGH an air conditioning vent and through a fucking wall at a soldier he can't see, and put that soldier in the hospital for 2 weeks.

Creston

63. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 13, 2012, 16:26 nin

If they can patch it up I'll be happy with it. If not then I'll stomp a lot with my face.

TB posted several annoying issues like shooting through walls, sometime missing from point blank range, etc, yet I agree with him that even with those issues, the game looks like a blast.

I just wish I had time to try it out. It's a shame that so much good gaming got kicked out at once, as I don't know anyone that has the time/money for everything, and something always gets put on the "later" stack...I love that we have so much awesome stuff right now, but publishers are costing themselves sales when they do this.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

62. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 13, 2012, 15:04 J

Okay, I think I'm 11 hours in now, so I can chip in. Yes, it still has bugs, and I hope they get patched soon.

I've just got to the alien base (spoiler) and at one point I cleared the area ahead then as my assault guy moved forward six units spawned on him. I found out in another play that it was supposed to happen earlier. It seems it's meant to spawn 3 mutons, 3 thin men, 3 sectoids, 3 chrysalids on the first trigger (spoiler).

When I reloaded it (I don't mind dying to game mechanics, but do mind death by bugs) I found my sniper could no longer double-tap. Corpses were now also standing up!

Having said that, I think that's the only bugs I've come across. I started playing after the first patch was released.

If they can patch it up I'll be happy with it. If not then I'll stomp a lot with my face.

61. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 13, 2012, 06:50 Prez

One thing I will advise people to do if they want a more genuine classic X-COM experience is turn off the enemy health bars. It sounds like a small thing but it actually adds a whole lot of tension to the game in my view. When you see a Muton with its 12 red health pips you start treating each encounter like a math equation: "Okay my assualt rifle with knock of this many pips, dude with the laser rifle can get this many, then a grenade will do 3 more...etc". In classic X-COM part of what made encounters with the tougher aliens so terrifyingly intense was you never knew just how much pounding you had to do to kill it - you just moved your squad in firing range and hoped enough would hit with enough damage to put it out of action before it the aliens' turn.

After I figured out how to do it it made a HUGE difference in the battles, and they feel way closer to the classic X-COM fights.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

60. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 13, 2012, 02:45 Yifes

Dev wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 21:26:
Prez wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 19:50:
I especially like the Cyberdisc and its bomb-throwing animation.
I know! First time I saw it I was like "OH CRAP what's he spinning up to thro BOOOM!"
Now its "ZOMG, I hope I spread my guys out enough! OH CRA BOOM"

The spinning gives you time to ponder your doom.

Still better than having it instagib one of your units with a crit to the face. 5 damage from a grenade is relatively not bad.

59. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 21:26 Dev

Prez wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 19:50:
I especially like the Cyberdisc and its bomb-throwing animation.
I know! First time I saw it I was like "OH CRAP what's he spinning up to thro BOOOM!"
Now its "ZOMG, I hope I spread my guys out enough! OH CRA BOOM"

The spinning gives you time to ponder your doom.

58. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 19:50 Prez

Squad Sight works brilliantly for me now. But it still isn't helping me enough against those damnable Chrysalids on the Terror missions. Arghh, Zombies!

And is anyone else floored by how awesome the enemy redesigns are? I was really skeptical but each one is perfect. I especially like the Cyberdisc and its bomb-throwing animation.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

57. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 17:07 Creston

ochentay4 wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 16:42:
Creston wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 11:23:
ochentay4 wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 09:44:
Hi, its COJONES not CAJONES. Cojones=Balls / Cajones/Drawer. Nevertheless, Im happy for you! I couldnt buy it yet!

Donde esta la bibliotheca
me llamo t-bone
la arana discotheca!

Creston
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXno3lhVGOM
Hahha I never saw it! Its terribly bad!

The one person who gets it doesn't watch community! Grrrr!

And, btw, it's really the funniest show on TV, especially if you're a gameplaying nerd. It is impossible to watch their Final Fantasy episode and not immediately want to watch 1000000000000 more episodes.

Creston

56. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 16:42 ochentay4

Creston wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 11:23:
ochentay4 wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 09:44:
Hi, its COJONES not CAJONES. Cojones=Balls / Cajones/Drawer. Nevertheless, Im happy for you! I couldnt buy it yet!

Donde esta la bibliotheca
me llamo t-bone
la arana discotheca!

Creston
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXno3lhVGOM
Hahha I never saw it! Its terribly bad!

55. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 15:42 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 11:02:
I don't remember even seeing the uplink in the list of buildings that is my problem. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough but I will check it out tonight. Was just getting a bit frustrating that Countries are already panicking and I did not even have a chance to save them.

Also, if you played through the tutorial, fucking cancel that game and start over again. Worst. Tutorial. Evar.

Not only is it like 90 minutes long and holds your hand/locks everything down early game, but when you're done it dumps you out in an unfavorable position in the macro scale of the game.

Also, for satellite uplinks, seriously consider the synergy bonus. The facility is expensive as all hell, and adjacent facilities quickly give you essentially free uplink centers.

54. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 14:39 Creston

Here are the four names found so far:

Sid Meier
Ken Levine
Joe Kelly
Otto Zander

Creston

53. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 14:00 Bucky

Prez wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 13:13:
Dan Stapleton of PC Gamer once wrote in an X-COM retrospective that naming your favorite soldier after yourself was a must because it made you care even more about him but it also had the effect of telling the aliens to hunt him down and kill him at all costs. Somehow they * always* knew. So true! I am trying it now in my current game.

That's brilliant. My current method is that I don't do any customization until they've hit Captain. I've been leaving names alone for now, but I think in my next game I'll make a point of naming the first Lieutenant after myself.

52. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 13:31 SpectralMeat

Yep that's where it was.

Steam: SpectralMeat

51. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 13:25 Prez

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 13:21:
Dan Stapleton of PC Gamer once wrote in an X-COM retrospective that naming your favorite soldier after yourself was a must because it made you care even more about him but it also had the effect of telling the aliens to hunt him down and kill him at all costs. Somehow they * always* knew. So true! I am trying it now in my current game.
I believe there are some game developer names you can give your soldiers that makes them super soldiers also but that will disable the achievements. I've read that somewhere but of course I can not find it anymore.

Yep - it was linked to in Steams news page for XCOM. Hilariously/Awesomely, naming your soldier "Sid Meier" makes him an unstoppable super soldier.

EDIT: Dammit ninja'd by Dev, curse him! Shakefist

- Mahatma Gandhi

50. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 13:23 Dev

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 13:21:
I believe there are some game developer names you can give your soldiers that makes them super soldiers also but that will disable the achievements. I've read that somewhere but of course I can not find it anymore.
It would be under the steam news for the game. The place I was hoping to find the patch notes. Complete with the names to type in.

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo