Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Terraforming in SimCity

An article on Rock, Paper, Shotgun breaks down some footage of a live presentation that includes a look at SimCity, EA Maxis' upcoming installment in the classic urban planning series. They take note of a couple of things the new game will not include, starting with terraforming, as word is the landscapes are regarded as puzzles where figuring out how to suit your construction to the terrain is part of the challenge. They also note that while the game will include boat transports, but will eliminate subways. Thanks Joao.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 12, 2012, 05:18 WyldKat

With all the crowdfunding gaining steam, now would be a perfect time for Will Wright to come back and make a proper city building simulator.

As for Sim Shitty 5, I'll pass. Terraforming was a big deal when you were trying to create your dream cities. The "God mode" feeling you got was part of the draw of it, especially if you liked recreating real cities.

I'm guessing there won't be any mod support either with the always-on nature of the game.

We saw how well that worked for Diablo 3.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 12, 2012, 02:28 eRe4s3r

Let me guess, you think a MOD is a chinese dish?  

22. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 12, 2012, 01:24 Kajetan

gradbot wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 22:02:
You can make private online regions which allows you to play by yourself.
You dont understand. When playing a SP game there has to be no need to be online to play a SP game. Thats why many people have no interest in Diablo 3 with its fake SP mode. Constant online connections for SP games are just stupid.

Even Ubisoft has recognized this and has reduced its DRM to a single online activation.

I don't get why people cry about always having to be online.
And there is your problem. You dont get it!

21. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 12, 2012, 00:59 Crustacean Soup

No problem with not having terraforming or subways. The multiplayer thing is the only thing that really concerns me; you can do private regions, but it sounds like the multiplayer thing is pretty ingrained into the game design. I'd definitely do multiplayer if it's any good, but I don't want to lose anything when I opt not to.  

20. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 12, 2012, 00:24 Sepharo

You can make private online regions which allows you to play by yourself.

Hadn't heard this yet. Have a link?

edit: Ah found it via a cite on Wikipedia.

6th question here

19. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 12, 2012, 00:07 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 23:28:
Steam isn't "always online." I just moved, and set up the computer first thing so the kids could play Steam games while we unpacked. We didn't have internet for three days, but the kids were able to play all their Steam games nonetheless.

Really depends on the game. When I last reinstalled Windows on my desktop, I found that, after downloading my collection again (>2TB), some games had to at least be run online once before I could use them in offline mode. But that's not so much something on Steam as it is on the developers (mostly developers that use GFWL, to be honest).

18. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 11, 2012, 23:44 ASeven

I don't get why there's still insufferable idiots who believe the world spins around them and who also have no idea about the real world and how only a tiny amount of people in the whole world are able to be online all the time due to not having reliable or fast or cheap enough net connections, or not having access to an ISP at all.

Fuck, grow some brains.

17. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 11, 2012, 23:40 deqer

landscapes are regarded as puzzles where figuring out how to suit your construction to the terrain is part of the challenge.
So easy to come up with fluffy excuses like this to justify their greedy decisions to remove terraforming. "it's a puzzle, and you should accept it as a challenge." lulz

16. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 11, 2012, 23:28 jdreyer

landscapes are regarded as puzzles where figuring out how to suit your construction to the terrain is part of the challenge.

Why not just make terraforming superexpensive, and integrate it as part of the puzzle-solving aspect? You would have to pick and choose where to use it, since the expense prevents it from being used everywhere (and it could be cheaper at easier difficulty levels, and not available on the hardest ones). Lack of terraforming is stupid. It's literally built into the genre name: "Sandbox game"

Steam isn't "always online." I just moved, and set up the computer first thing so the kids could play Steam games while we unpacked. We didn't have internet for three days, but the kids were able to play all their Steam games nonetheless.

Looks like we'll stick with SimCity 4 with mods for now.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 11, 2012, 23:19 jacobvandy

Maybe terraforming and subways will be day one DLC... And yes you would be allowed to be mad about that.  

14. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 11, 2012, 23:00 gradbot

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 22:15:
I don't get why people can't understand I want to be able to play the single player game I paid for without having to depend on my ISP, the game maker, and the game maker's ISP.
Touché.

13. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 11, 2012, 22:15 Mr. Tact

I don't get why people can't understand I want to be able to play the single player game I paid for without having to depend on my ISP, the game maker, and the game maker's ISP.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 11, 2012, 22:15 deqer

I also don't need my privacy invaded by having my playtime tracked, or being tracked when i play my games. Yes, folks, I'm giving up on steam. I'm now pirating all the games I own on steam, and pirating in the future. If games in the future start coming out with no option to run our own multiplayer server. Fine. I just wont play your new games then. I'll remain retro and play the older games. Sorry, you're not going to win me on your greedy DRM business model.

Edit: Oh, and btw, SimCity 1 is the best simcity ever. I still play it on SNES. and some cool tricks you can do with buildings, customizing them to be any shape you want by destroying parts of them and building small 1x1 blocks, etc.

11. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 11, 2012, 22:05 deqer

I suppose the same people have also boycotted steam?
I've been on steam since 2004, and I've recently started to boycot it. I've begun to advocate piracy again. Sorry, but I like to feel like I own my games 100%. I don't need to jump through hoops to play offline--because there really is no need for that, yet I'm forced to. I also don't need to be locked by an EULA that if I suddenly disagree with then I lose all my games. Ya, fuck you Valve. Never thought I'd see the day where I'd say "fuck you" to you guys, but there you go.

10. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 11, 2012, 22:03 deqer

ASeven wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 20:33:
So, no modtools, always online, a lot of multiplayer content, tons of DLC, no terraforming, limited 2km x 2km size for cities.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I watch the video. They're all like "lots of cool stuff", "lots of cool experience", "lots of cool stuff", and they repeat that over and over, trying real hard to get you to buy their DRM always online product. Those fuckers.

9. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 11, 2012, 22:02 gradbot

You can make private online regions which allows you to play by yourself. I don't get why people cry about always having to be online. I suppose the same people have also boycotted steam? I have no love for Origin.

The game is looking pretty awesome to me. The complete rewrite of the old simulation engine means goodbye to old bugs and hello to new ones.

8. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 11, 2012, 21:56 eRe4s3r

Better name might be landscaping Wonder who first started abusing terraforming.. for this. That word is reserved for greater things!  

7. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 11, 2012, 21:45 Cutter

Whilst I understand the literal translation of "terraforming" it's generally something I - and would assume most people - apply to making extra-terrestial planets habitable. So, I wouldn't really expect it in SimCity.

And for some reason saying SimCity just made me think of the old 80's protest song...Sun City! And I'm not gonna play either!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 11, 2012, 21:38 Creston

No offline play. No terraforming. No subways.

Sounds like it'll be a real simCity, for sure!

Creston

5. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 11, 2012, 21:04 Shok

Online only is an automatic no-buy for me, just like Diablo 3 was.  

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo