Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

4. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2012, 21:46 Creston

Dragon Age 2 and Doom 3 are probably the two most notable blatant cash-grab reviews PC Gamer has done. Doom 3 was even worse than DA2, because about a month after they gave it a 94, everyone on PC Gamer's staff was bitching about how bad of a game it was.

And let's not forget PC Gamer's "staunch" stance against DRM, then conveniently "forgetting" to mention it at all in their Spore review. Their editor at the time (forgot her name) quit like 3 months after that.

You can't trust a single one of their reviews, unless it's from some minor outfit that can't afford PC Gamer's "Buy A Review Score!" prices. Those they will slag just to keep up appearances that they give games bad scores too.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2012, 21:03 ASeven

Prez wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 20:39:
Every gaming reviews outlet gets accused of this. You have to figure it goes on at some level, but who knows if it is only here and there or if it's a widespread practice? PC Gamer reviews have seemed less glowy to me lately, but that could just be in my head. I do know that I generally like and agree with one of their oft-used freelance reviewers, Tom Chick, so I read them a lot. I get their mag delivered to my Kindle Fire every month.

But yeah that Dragon Age 2 review made me scratch Rich McCormick off of my list of trusted reviewers.

Here's one for us old ones. Back in the 80s two of the powerhouse magazines covering game reviews were Crash! and Zzap!64. The reviews were often honest and always brutal where needed be. Fast forward to the present where one of the past editors of Zzap!64 confessed some reviews were given higher marks due to "money pressure".

You have to think, if back where game reviewing was an infant business this practice was already rather common place then such practices could only have gotten more complex and more than likely more ingrained within the game journalism group to the point where I think it's believable that paid reviews are a strong possibility nowadays.

2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2012, 20:39 Prez

Every gaming reviews outlet gets accused of this. You have to figure it goes on at some level, but who knows if it is only here and there or if it's a widespread practice? PC Gamer reviews have seemed less glowy to me lately, but that could just be in my head. I do know that I generally like and agree with one of their oft-used freelance reviewers, Tom Chick, so I read them a lot. I get their mag delivered to my Kindle Fire every month.

But yeah that Dragon Age 2 review made me scratch Rich McCormick off of my list of trusted reviewers.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

1. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2012, 20:30 ASeven

That would explain the 94 given to DA2.  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo