Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace

A post on Critical Detail takes a critical look at the closed distribution model in Windows 8 and Windows RT, speculating about how this will impact software distribution over the next 20 years. As noted on Kotaku, this includes a rule against selling adult content through the Windows 8 Marketplace, saying: "Your app must not contain adult content, and metadata must be appropriate for everyone. Apps with a rating over PEGI 16, ESRB MATURE, or that contain content that would warrant such a rating, are not allowed." While this will not impact U.S. users much since almost no games are ever rated "AO," there are lots of games with a PEGI-18 rating in Europe this will prohibit. There are a number of reasons this will not impact hardcore gamers in the short term, as they are unlikely to be rushing to adopt the new Windows, unlikely to make a tablet their primary gaming machine, and unlikely to make the Microsoft walled garden the place they buy their games, but the trend this represents is certainly troubling. Update: Corrected to be clear the rule will prohibit AO games in North America, not "M" rated games. Apologies for the confusion.

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

43. Re: No Adult Games on Steam or Origin either Oct 11, 2012, 16:37 hb3d

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 16:18:
and that makes any difference to the point I was making how?
If you point was simply that "most PC gamers buy their games off Steam or Origin" then your post was irrelevant because it is stating the obvious. If your point was that PC gamers can buy their games from Steam and Origin instead of Microsoft's store to get around the adults-only game ban, that won't work either since neither of those two offer adults-only games although Steam is the only one of the two that has publicly banned an adult game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: No Adult Games on Steam or Origin either Oct 11, 2012, 16:18 SpectralMeat

hb3d wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 16:02:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 10:30:
Since most PC gamers buy their games off Steam or Origin
Please point out the adults-only games on Steam and Origin.

To my knowledge the only major digital distributors that have offered adults-only games have been Trymedia/Trygames.com and Direct2Drive and in both of those cases the games were just adults-only versions of Singles and one Leisure Suit Larry game.
and that makes any difference to the point I was making how?

Steam: SpectralMeat

41. Steam does the same thing. Oct 11, 2012, 16:09 hb3d

Prez wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 13:48:
I fucking hate censorship of any kind because of what it will eventually lead to.
Since you like Steam so much, I would like to know how you reconcile your position with this. How is what Microsoft is doing here any different than what Valve already does with Steam? You are simply trading one walled-garden for another.

40. No Adult Games on Steam or Origin either Oct 11, 2012, 16:02 hb3d

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 10:30:
Since most PC gamers buy their games off Steam or Origin
Please point out the adults-only games on Steam and Origin.

To my knowledge the only major digital distributors that have offered adults-only games have been Trymedia/Trygames.com and Direct2Drive and in both of those cases the games were just adults-only versions of Singles and one Leisure Suit Larry game.

39. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 15:55 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 15:25:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 14:36:
Actually, directly? Yes, it does. There might be more pollution being spewed by cars and factories, but I'm never getting hit directly in the face by the source, as I am occasionally by smokers.

I've never come home from a restaurant and had to take a shower to get the smell of car or factory out of my hair.

Do you ask to sit in the smoking section or something.

38. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 15:54 RollinThundr

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 13:21:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 12:17:
I like the option to do so not be told by government I can't.

I must have missed the part where MS was government.

It was an example given of why MS prolly did this, since alot of EU nanny states like to dictate what computer games are allowed based on content.

37. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 15:28 Verno

deqer wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 14:41:
Doesn't need to hit you in the face for it to be a serious issue. It's hitting you already, for the entire time you're outside; you just don't feel it. Why else do you think we only live till 100?

People rarely lived to 100 before smoking and pollution either. Neither is good for you but cell decay is a fact of life.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

36. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 15:25 Beamer

Actually, directly? Yes, it does. There might be more pollution being spewed by cars and factories, but I'm never getting hit directly in the face by the source, as I am occasionally by smokers.

I've never come home from a restaurant and had to take a shower to get the smell of car or factory out of my hair.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 15:19 SagaciousFoo

Bhruic wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 14:45:
You probably also missed the part where someone claimed MS was doing this because they were legally required to. Ie, told by the government.

I missed that part. No harm, no foul, though, because--at least in the US--MS isn't legally required to do anything like that and if someone said differently, they're either lying or ignorant. There's no law like that in the US for the same reason that state laws banning sales to M rated games to minors have been consistently ruled as unconstitutional.

34. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 14:57 Mr. Tact

For the most part, we don't live past 100 because the biology of our bodies starts breaking down. You can live the straight and narrow and still not make it to 100, witness Jack LaLanne.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

33. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 14:45 Bhruic

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 13:21:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 12:17:
I like the option to do so not be told by government I can't.

I must have missed the part where MS was government.

You probably also missed the part where someone claimed MS was doing this because they were legally required to. Ie, told by the government.

32. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 14:41 deqer

Actually, directly? Yes, it does. There might be more pollution being spewed by cars and factories, but I'm never getting hit directly in the face by the source
Doesn't need to hit you in the face for it to be a serious issue. It's hitting you already, for the entire time you're outside; you just don't feel it. Why else do you think we only live till 100?

31. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 14:36 Mr. Tact

30. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 14:32 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 13:34:
Smoking bothers you more than cars and factories does it?
That one was always my favorite.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

29. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 14:25 Mr. Tact

And I was so hoping for the "Toucha toucha toucha me, I feel dirty!" app.

28. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 13:48 Prez

The only "Adults Only" games I am interested in playing are real life ones, but the fact that Microsoft is trying to stop the PC from being the glorious open platform that it is pisses me off to no end. I fucking hate censorship of any kind because of what it will eventually lead to. The slippery slope effect if you will. People will always say there's no such thing, but only because it happens so gradual it doesn't get noticed with each small encroachment.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

27. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 13:38 Beamer

BullitSpunj wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 13:35:
The blurb here is wrong. The Critical Detail post quotes Microsoft as anything rated above M or PEGI-16.
”Your app must not contain adult content, and metadata must be appropriate for everyone. Apps with a rating over PEGI 16, ESRB MATURE, or that contain content that would warrant such a rating, are not allowed."

So that means games rated ESRB AO and PEGI-18.

Regardless, this has no impact on the PC platform. If you were intending on buying an RT tablet and wanted Larry Flint's Hot Chowder Simulator v69, then I guess you're out of luck. How many PC users are going to exclusively use the Modern fka Metro interface and/or buy apps for them? Very little - and the only apps that PC users of Modern UI are going to purchase are the same ones they want a homogenious experience with across their Win 8 tablets and phones.

All Microsoft is doing is indemnifying themselves from lawsuits if craptastic parents can't monitor their children and some pr0ns are downloaded through their store. That and any other behavior the same craptastic parents think hurts their preciouses. All this chicken little stuff is silly and a bit retarded. The only people complaining are folks too blinded by their inherent dislike of Microsoft to look at this objectively, or companies whose business model may be in jeopardy.

I swear I didn't make a second account.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 13:35 BullitSpunj

The blurb here is wrong. The Critical Detail post quotes Microsoft as anything rated above M or PEGI-16.
”Your app must not contain adult content, and metadata must be appropriate for everyone. Apps with a rating over PEGI 16, ESRB MATURE, or that contain content that would warrant such a rating, are not allowed."

So that means games rated ESRB AO and PEGI-18.

Regardless, this has no impact on the PC platform. If you were intending on buying an RT tablet and wanted Larry Flint's Hot Chowder Simulator v69, then I guess you're out of luck. How many PC users are going to exclusively use the Modern fka Metro interface and/or buy apps for them? Very little - and the only apps that PC users of Modern UI are going to purchase are the same ones they want a homogenious experience with across their Win 8 tablets and phones.

All Microsoft is doing is indemnifying themselves from lawsuits if craptastic parents can't monitor their children and some pr0ns are downloaded through their store. That and any other behavior the same craptastic parents think hurts their preciouses. All this chicken little stuff is silly and a bit retarded. The only people complaining are folks too blinded by their inherent dislike of Microsoft to look at this objectively, or companies whose business model may be in jeopardy.

25. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 13:34 Cutter

BobBob wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 12:11:
I wouldn't be too critical of nanny states. Most people act like idiots and need enforced laws just to keep them acting civilized to each other. Don't get me started about obnoxious public smoking and cell phone using drivers.

Smoking bothers you more than cars and factories does it?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

24. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 13:33 Mashiki Amiketo

Killing a marketplace before it starts huh? Well good job there MS. Carry on.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo