Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Project Eternity Goals

The Kickstarter Campaign for Obsidian Entertainment's Project Eternity shows this fundraiser has passed its $2.6 million stretch goal, and announces the rewards that go along with that milestone (thanks nin). They have complete details on rewards for every tier, as well as the artwork that will go on some of the reward merchandise. Word is they will close out this campaign with their foot firmly on the accelerator:

We have a lot of great stuff planned over the next six days. Josh is doing a lore update tomorrow along with some other BIG announcements, we are organizing an AMA over on reddit so everyone can ask Tim, Josh, Feargus and myself (Adam) a ton of questions, and we are getting our crazy ideas put together for the live stream of the last hours of the campaign next Tuesday.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 12, 2012, 17:43 nin

Still tempted, still not pulled the trigger...still @ $140.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 12, 2012, 17:10 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 22:47:
Goddammit that $250 is looking attractive!!!!! Fuck!

You suffering from Kickstarter Beer Goggles, nin?

Creston

50. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 12, 2012, 14:16 nin

3.0 looks like a lock. I'm a little skeptical of 3.5, however...maybe that'll end up in the expansion.

49. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 12, 2012, 13:58 Mr. Tact

Yeah, yeah... 3.0m is looking likely...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

48. Re: removed Oct 12, 2012, 13:53 John

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 13:18:
The KS page indicates over 40k likes? Different counters?
Hmm, I'm not sure.. I think that is only people that like the PE KS page. They need to specify that everyone go to Obsidian's FB page and like that instead.

Edit: Also they just reached $2.8mil! Who was saying they might not make $2.6 a few days ago?

This space is available for rent

47. Re: removed Oct 12, 2012, 13:18 Mr. Tact

John wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 08:22:
Also, I see that Obsidian's FB page is at 18,763 Likes now so it should reach 20,000 by the end of the KS..
The KS page indicates over 40k likes? Different counters?

46. Re: removed Oct 12, 2012, 08:22 John

abcthjm wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 02:52:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 12, 2012, 04:21.
Huh, this must be a major troll since all of his comments so far have been removed.

But anyways, Kicktraq is showing an [experimental] total of over $3.3mil now so it's looking better for them to reach the $3.5mil goal with Paypal backers included.

Also, I see that Obsidian's FB page is at 18,763 Likes now so it should reach 20,000 by the end of the KS..

45. removed Oct 12, 2012, 02:52 abcthjm

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 12, 2012, 04:21.

44. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 12, 2012, 01:05 John

John wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 22:08:
Almost to 57,500 backers too which means another dungeon level! I hope more folks "like" it on FB too so they add yet another level.
Wow, they got almost 200 more backers since I said that!

43. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 11, 2012, 22:59 nin

I really really shouldn't...

We'll see tomorrow, once I'm sober...

42. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 11, 2012, 22:56 John

Go for it nin!  

41. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 11, 2012, 22:47 nin

Goddammit that $250 is looking attractive!!!!! Fuck!

40. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 11, 2012, 22:11 Cutter

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 20:39:
That is fine to. But it is not like there isn't any creativity making business apps/integrations. But perhaps the point was lost, yes Kickstarting and being on your own is a lot better, all for it. I'm talking about being directed and beat down by people that can't do it (The standard Wall Street method of making games), they can talk and tell you what to do, but don't have the skill to do it. There is no escaping them saying things that just are very illogical in the process, because they just don't have that experience of knowing.

There isn't though. The creativity in business apps is all about the logic of what works integrated with what the customer wants. Games are entirely more arbitrary. Look at Notch's success with Minecraft. He never would have even got a sit down with any major publisher, and even if he had they would have laughed him out of the office or cursed him for wasting their time. The history of video games is chockfull of those sorts of ideas and stories. Not so with business software.

Any of the guys at Obsidian have the chops to work at Google, Microsoft, etc. but it's doubtful the majority of the employees of companies like that do for gaming companies. A friend of mine has his doctorate in physics and is working on quantum computing. He doesn't understand games and sees them as a frivolous waste of time. I've worked in both in business software and gaming and the difference is night and day. Most of the corporate guys I know require that sort of structure. They're not very creative but do well under a highly regimented system. That's not to say they don't have to employ lateral thinking in order to solve problems or create something new, but that's a major difference from making a game.

KS is allowing guys like Fargo, Double Fine, Obsidian, et al. to get back to doing what they really want to do. I'm rooting for them and I firmly believe they're all going to put out some amazing stuff. Hell, I hope that when Obsidian's KS concludes they'll take a few hundred bucks of that immediately and have a huge party to celebrate the fact that there are 10's of 1000's of gamers out there that still believe what they believe. I know I'll raise a glass and toast them!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

39. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 22:08 John

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 21:49:
Wow -- over $100k today -- first time since day 4...
Yep, it's picking up momentum! Almost to 57,500 backers too which means another dungeon level! I hope more folks "like" it on FB too so they add yet another level.

38. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 22:05 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 21:49:

That wonderful end of the KS, when everything goes crazy

37. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 21:49 Mr. Tact

36. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 11, 2012, 21:36 nin

And 2.7...new classes!

35. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 11, 2012, 20:39 HorrorScope

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 18:57:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 18:20:
How can I say this? I'm one of those old time coders that got out of games a long time ago because the effort to income to quality of life wasn't there in making games. Chiefs just added to the "I got to get the hell outta here". So I ended up in business programming, make more for 1/3 to 1/2 the work, solid quality of life.

Good for you. But other people value creativity and expression enough that it factors into their "effort vs. reward" equation more than yours. As much as people like to tout that MAKING GAMES IS A BUSINESS, there are still those who are in it for the art. Shocking, I know... But that's really a major idea behind the whole Kickstarter movement. These developers are not okay with their game-making career being "just a job," they want to make the games they want to make/play. Otherwise they'd be fine with being a part of the corporate, AAA grind.

That is fine to. But it is not like there isn't any creativity making business apps/integrations. But perhaps the point was lost, yes Kickstarting and being on your own is a lot better, all for it. I'm talking about being directed and beat down by people that can't do it (The standard Wall Street method of making games), they can talk and tell you what to do, but don't have the skill to do it. There is no escaping them saying things that just are very illogical in the process, because they just don't have that experience of knowing.

34. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 11, 2012, 20:34 nin

Looks like the end rush is starting...kicktraq shows $54K yesterday...today is already $112K.

33. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 11, 2012, 18:57 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 18:20:
How can I say this? I'm one of those old time coders that got out of games a long time ago because the effort to income to quality of life wasn't there in making games. Chiefs just added to the "I got to get the hell outta here". So I ended up in business programming, make more for 1/3 to 1/2 the work, solid quality of life.

Good for you. But other people value creativity and expression enough that it factors into their "effort vs. reward" equation more than yours. As much as people like to tout that MAKING GAMES IS A BUSINESS, there are still those who are in it for the art. Shocking, I know... But that's really a major idea behind the whole Kickstarter movement. These developers are not okay with their game-making career being "just a job," they want to make the games they want to make/play. Otherwise they'd be fine with being a part of the corporate, AAA grind.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo