Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Project Eternity Goals

The Kickstarter Campaign for Obsidian Entertainment's Project Eternity shows this fundraiser has passed its $2.6 million stretch goal, and announces the rewards that go along with that milestone (thanks nin). They have complete details on rewards for every tier, as well as the artwork that will go on some of the reward merchandise. Word is they will close out this campaign with their foot firmly on the accelerator:

We have a lot of great stuff planned over the next six days. Josh is doing a lore update tomorrow along with some other BIG announcements, we are organizing an AMA over on reddit so everyone can ask Tim, Josh, Feargus and myself (Adam) a ton of questions, and we are getting our crazy ideas put together for the live stream of the last hours of the campaign next Tuesday.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 11, 2012, 18:24 ASeven

2014 can't come soon enough. That screenshot looked pretty sweet.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 11, 2012, 18:20 HorrorScope

Jerykk wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 17:49:
Another thing to keep in mind is that Kickstarter devs don't have to deal with publishers or license-owner trying to influence the game's creative direction. The publisher or license-owner might want specific features or content in the game and in most cases, the dev has no choice but to comply, even if it means they have less time and resources for the rest of the game. With Project Eternity, Obsidian doesn't have to deal with any of these things.

Correct. I can see that certainly. A lot of milestone misses could be because of too many chiefs above causing more harm then good. But we've heard reports of devs simply not getting done what they agreed to, with near total independence.

This Kickstarter experiment is definitely going to be interesting to see how it all turns out. I'm totally for the originality coming back like the next guy and love kicking "blah blah artists" out of the loop as they are vampires of the cash needed for fostering content. They don't know gaming, they know how to control developers and little else. Yeah I have that much respect for BSA's.

How can I say this? I'm one of those old time coders that got out of games a long time ago because the effort to income to quality of life wasn't there in making games. Chiefs just added to the "I got to get the hell outta here". So I ended up in business programming, make more for 1/3 to 1/2 the work, solid quality of life.

30. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 11, 2012, 17:49 Jerykk

Jivaro wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 17:42:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 17:21:
I like how these guys are now master budgeteers and time management geniuses. They know how much this will cost and how much time. I thought this industry really had problems with both of those. But Kickstarter is all that is needed to be masters of such things. "They should have done this years ago!".

It is an interesting point. I mean games, like movies, are famous for going over budget and over time. I wonder how it changes development planning, if at all, when you know the budget is pretty much set rather then a big AAA production where you can go to a meeting, make a pitch for more time and money, and with some luck you are off and running again. With a Kickstarter, are the employees simply paid a flat contractor's fee for the project rather then hourly, for example.

I at least would be interested to hear how that works.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Kickstarter devs don't have to deal with publishers or license-owner trying to influence the game's creative direction. The publisher or license-owner might want specific features or content in the game and in most cases, the dev has no choice but to comply, even if it means they have less time and resources for the rest of the game. With Project Eternity, Obsidian doesn't have to deal with any of these things.

29. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 11, 2012, 17:42 Jivaro

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 17:21:
I like how these guys are now master budgeteers and time management geniuses. They know how much this will cost and how much time. I thought this industry really had problems with both of those. But Kickstarter is all that is needed to be masters of such things. "They should have done this years ago!".

It is an interesting point. I mean games, like movies, are famous for going over budget and over time. I wonder how it changes development planning, if at all, when you know the budget is pretty much set rather then a big AAA production where you can go to a meeting, make a pitch for more time and money, and with some luck you are off and running again. With a Kickstarter, are the employees simply paid a flat contractor's fee for the project rather then hourly, for example.

I at least would be interested to hear how that works.

28. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 11, 2012, 17:36 Jerykk

I love big cities in RPGs! Here's hoping the project reaches at least $3.5 million.

As for the screenshot, looks very nice but I have to wonder how it will look in-game. The waterfall and water will need to be animated, as will the trees and other vegetation. Also, how well will the 3D characters blend into the environment?

27. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 11, 2012, 17:21 HorrorScope

26. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 17:11 Cutter

nin wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 15:43:
Beelzebud wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 15:39:
Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 15:15:
Holy shit, they released a (provisional) screenshot

Creston

Looks like a modern 3D version of the infinity engine games! Holy crap, if the final game looks like that it will be amazing.

It does look good - better than I hoped!

Effing sweet!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 15:47 MoreLuckThanSkill

I am looking forward to this game with great anticipation, but who do these guys think they are, Gearbox?

They are already selling expansions to a game that not only hasn't been made, it doesn't even have a name yet. That's ballsy.

PS. I was steamrolling X-Com Classic mode, but I think I may be screwed now. I lost Russia, and none of my interceptors can shoot down certain 'required' UFOs. In hindsight, this game depends GREATLY on how well you first setup your base/satellites from Day 1. There seem to be a lot of unrecoverable bad path/base setups, no matter how good your soldiers end up being. /Depression.

PPS. Also apparently you need about 10,000 alien Alloys, and they only come from certain missions. Research, Workshops, everybody in my game is on hold because we're simply out of Alloys.

*EDIT* Typo.

24. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 15:43 nin

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 15:39:

Creston

Looks like a modern 3D version of the infinity engine games! Holy crap, if the final game looks like that it will be amazing.

It does look good - better than I hoped!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 15:40 Mr. Tact

Saw yesterday on their forums the Paypal total to that point was under $100k. Less of a boost than I would have expected...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

22. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 15:39 Beelzebud

Creston

21. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 15:39 John

Oh yeah? I don't care much about the Stronghold either but they do cool cities. I think that'll be quite a stretch for them to make it to $3.5mil anyways but they might just make it if they get enough Paypal backers. The last few days have seen pretty good backing though..  
This space is available for rent

20. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 15:32 Creston

John wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 15:20:
Nice! That'll look great in 1080p on my 24" monitor!

Also their $3 and $3.5 million goals sound good! I hope they reach $3.5 mil cause a 2nd huge city would be sweet..

Both stretch goals leave me a little meh, to be honest. I'm not a big fan of "big cities", as they take forever to get through, and Obsidian's implementation of a Stronghold in NWN2 was... well, let's say lackluster.

Creston

19. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 15:20 John

Nice! That'll look great in 1080p on my 24" monitor!

Also their $3 and $3.5 million goals sound good! I hope they reach $3.5 mil cause a 2nd huge city would be sweet..

This space is available for rent

18. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 15:15 Creston

Creston

17. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 14:49 NegaDeath

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 14:15:
I don't have a Facebook account. I will never have a Facebook account. (nor am I on Myspace, LinkedIn, Twitter, Google+, or any other of that nonsense)

Highfive

16. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 14:42 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 13:16:
I want to know why the hell they haven't reached 20k Facebook likes yet... They had a few thousand to start with, so they only needed about 1/3 of the total backers to make two clicks! What gives? Do people not read the updates or check the page anymore after they've pledged?

That, or people aren't on Facebook, or they are on Facebook, and they think this mandatory "like us!" bullshit is really fucking stupid.

Take your pick.

Creston

15. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 14:15 Mr. Tact

I don't have a Facebook account. I will never have a Facebook account. (nor am I on Myspace, LinkedIn, Twitter, Google+, or any other of that nonsense)  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 13:56 jacobvandy

I'm not exactly a social media butterfly myself -- I've logged into Facebook about 4 times in the past few months -- but seriously, you're that petty about resisting trends that you wouldn't click your mouse literally twice to get an extra level to that mega dungeon? I guess if you don't have a FB account at all, I understand not making one purely for this, but you could at least tell your friends that do have one about it. You don't have to be a backer for it to count, they have no way of tracking that.  

13. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 11, 2012, 13:46 Jivaro

ASeven wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 13:14:
Ozmodan wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 10:48:
You do realize that at least 4 out 5 kickstarters will fail. That is pretty much throwing your money away. Fools always flock to a losing deal.

Fools will talk out of their ass and make up bullshit pseudo-theories, like the quote above.

Eh, some will fail...so what. It is just another kind of investment, and all investments have risks. If I buy stocks, some of those are going to lose money occasionally. Kickstarter lets me be very specific about what I choose to support, and it isn't like folks aren't aware of the risks.

I guess I just don't understand the doomsayer stance. Obviously we all do it to some extent, I don't think there are many of us here that can claim to not have ever made a prediction of doom about something or another. A great many folks here are predicting the failure of Windows 8, or at least hoping for it, for example. It just seems odd to me to go after something like Kickstarter. A lot of upside, very little downside...very little investment required. It is like saying 4/5 self published books suck. So what if they do? Isn't that missing the point?

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo