Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 11, 2012, 17:25 HorrorScope

Zynga Casuals really should be named "Fashionable Gamers", they will only play games once it's socially accepted and peeking. After that they are done and aren't looking for the next game. Anyone with vision and paid well should know this. This is your Wii crowd, your Kinect Crowd. This isn't their hobby, it's their fad and they don't have continuous sales.

That said, one post here hit the nail to. Farmville played out like a hardcore game, the investment time becomes too much as it goes. For a fashion crowd it needed to top out to a point they can still do a little and feel good about themselves. That was their end game, as in "game over man".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 11, 2012, 17:10 jdreyer

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 10:50:
So much for the big deal about facebook games. People have short attention spans, so what is hot today is cold tomorrow. If you can't keep RIPPING OFF new games constantly you will not be here tomorrow.

Fixed.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2012, 15:34 DrSquick

I don't think casual games are a dead genre, nor do I think they are necessarily bad; but they target a very different audience. My wife is probably the prime demographic for casual games - a stay at home mom who wants a 5-15 minute distraction that can be played and put down at any time. At the same time, the "early Farmville" gave you the ability to constantly grow your farm day after day, and then if you wanted the "really special" items you could drop $2 and get a pink pig.

My wife probably spent $50 over a few months on it. But at some point it just became overwhelming. You had to have dozens of super active Farmville friends to make any progress, which is unlikely, so now you were forced to pay real money to make progress.

I think casual games need to know their role - entertain people while they are procrastinating. Yes there is money to be made in them, but not much; so you need to be lean. Think of the Apple App Store, you aren't seeing dozens of $59.99 titles out there, you make money by being a 2-3 man shop working out of your garage and selling a million copies of a $3 game.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 11, 2012, 15:32 Bet

Firefox just updated to 16.0.1 when I checked what version so that was a rather rapid hotfix. Some new features are apparent as well, since it didn't push the 16.0.0 to me yesterday.  

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 11, 2012, 13:19 ASeven

Reminds me of this

http://youtu.be/ZLDtHsfmEKs

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 11, 2012, 11:33 Beamer

NegaDeath wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 11:18:
But but but companies like Zynga were the future!

It's all anyone talked about in 2010 GDC.

Of course, we can't dance on the grave of casual games. Zynga's issue isn't that they make stupid casual games, it's that they make stupid casual Facebook games, which require a laptop or desktop, and most people are playing their stupid, casual games on their phone or tablet.

Essentially, they screwed up by not realizing that traditional PC gaming was not the future of casual gaming. Casual gaming is still enormous, but it's not on PCs.

The really sad thing is that Soren Johnson and Brian Reynolds are still there. Two of the greatest Civ minds...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 11, 2012, 11:18 NegaDeath

But but but companies like Zynga were the future!

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 11, 2012, 11:09 Creston

I keep giggling at Zynga and its ilk. OMG we're a hot company, LET'S DO AN IPO, WE'LL ALL BE SWIMMING IN MONEY!

Six months later, the bankruptcy sign gets put up. Guess what, fellas: Once you're publicly traded, you actually need to perform.

Up next: Facebook.

Creston

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 11, 2012, 10:50 Ozmodan

So much for the big deal about facebook games. People have short attention spans, so what is hot today is cold tomorrow. If you can't keep churning out new games constantly you will not be here tomorrow.  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo