Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

In the couple of weeks since I suffered my brief cold, MrsBlue suffered a cold of her own, a much longer-lasting, albeit far milder one. With that just cleared up, I find I've had a sore throat since yesterday afternoon, so it seems like we may be passing something back and forth. This has never happened before, and is hopefully a coincidence rather than some sort of vicious cycle.

Link Cycle: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Physics Symmetry 2.
Links: The CIA Burglar Who Went Rogue. Thanks Ant via LinuxSecurity.
Stories: FX Pushes Back -Louie- To May 2014.
Satellite images appear to reveal CIA's secret bin Laden training ground. Thanks brother19.
Jimmy Page says 'no' to Led Zeppelin reunion. It's been a long time since I rock-and-rolled.
Science: Ancient Spider Attack Fossil Found. Thanks Ant Farm.
Media: A Bad Lip Reading of the First 2012 Presidential Debate.
Airline launches disco inspired safety video.
Downward by Dentyne Ice.
Follow-up: Mike Vick apparently owns a dog again.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Everyone seems to be getting sick lately. Oct 11, 2012, 09:07 xXBatmanXx

Ant wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 01:17:
I know three other people who are sick. :O And none of them are flus.

yea, got the sniffles and a scratchy throat.....been very chilly here, so I think it got to me...

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2012, 05:17 DG

Cutter wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 15:33:

Oh my physician friend says much the same thing. He swears mufti-vitamins are a scam and all people are doing is literally pissing away money. Then you have the other side with their supporting evidence. Enh, what are you going to do? That's why I usually only take a multi once, maybe twice a week. I do daily for for garlic (great for the blood) and Omega 3/6/9 as I don't eat fish and high tri-glycerides run in our family. Then I'll do some things depending on what's going on with my health vitamin D, biotine, niacin, SSKI (potassium idodide). Vitamin D and SSKI really do help out with our northern winters in fighting off strep, bronchitis, etc. and clearing the mucas. I'd never do it daily, but I'll probably get into doing it like my multi, a few drops every couple of days.
My take on this is vitamins are not expensive, they do not have to be doing very much before they are good value.

Also it seems whenever the doctors are talking about vitamins they first say "you should get all your vitamins from a healthy, balanced diet. Then you just pee away the vitamin pill." Yeeessss.... But I'm not getting a healthy balanced diet am I. I do make an effort, but I doubt I get 5 portions of fruit & veg regularly (especially in winter) and I don't have that much variety.

12. Everyone seems to be getting sick lately. Oct 11, 2012, 01:17 Ant

I know three other people who are sick. :O And none of them are flus.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2012, 19:25 Jivaro

My picks for the coming week:
Cleveland gets their first win of the season at home over the Benglas.
The "Chuck Strong" Colts make the Jets bad season get worse.
San Francisco gets revenge on the G-Men at home.
Minnesota keeps Washington from getting their first home win of the RGIII era. I imagine he will slide if he scrambles though.
Green Bay beats Houston at home. Without Cushing, that defense is still awesome but they will need time to adjust and GB needs this win much more then they do.

And the rest....
Pitt, Atlanta, Baltimore,St. Louis, Philly, Tampa Bay, Arizona, New England, San Diego

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2012, 19:12 Cabezone

Odds are it's a different bug, you generally become resistant to one after you get it. The common cold is caused by a multitude of things. It's possible to be infected by more than one at once even.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2012, 18:02 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 17:22:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 17:15:
.....come on guys! I am pretty distressed that only 3 of my friends in Steam own Retro City Rampage. You are all fools!

I did my part!

edit: Maybe it'll be on sale for the xmas sale and we can gift the fuck out of it to people. That and Dynamite Jack.

Hell yea!

Hay, did we talk about picks? I went 10-4....

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2012, 18:35.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2012, 17:22 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 17:15:
.....come on guys! I am pretty distressed that only 3 of my friends in Steam own Retro City Rampage. You are all fools!

I did my part!

edit: Maybe it'll be on sale for the xmas sale and we can gift the fuck out of it to people. That and Dynamite Jack.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2012, 17:50.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2012, 17:15 xXBatmanXx

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2012, 15:33 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 14:18:
Cutter wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 12:38:
Here's a good article on it from Harvard physician, Dr. John Wright on the subject.
I won't say it's wrong -- but it does sound a little too good to be true. Reminds me of a co-worker whose father was a MD and he swore up and down vitamin C could fix many illnesses. One of the "bonuses" was excess vitamin C is simply excreted by the body -- it's nearly impossible to have issues due to taking too much.

Oh my physician friend says much the same thing. He swears mufti-vitamins are a scam and all people are doing is literally pissing away money. Then you have the other side with their supporting evidence. Enh, what are you going to do? That's why I usually only take a multi once, maybe twice a week. I do daily for for garlic (great for the blood) and Omega 3/6/9 as I don't eat fish and high tri-glycerides run in our family. Then I'll do some things depending on what's going on with my health vitamin D, biotine, niacin, SSKI (potassium idodide). Vitamin D and SSKI really do help out with our northern winters in fighting off strep, bronchitis, etc. and clearing the mucas. I'd never do it daily, but I'll probably get into doing it like my multi, a few drops every couple of days.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2012, 14:18 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 12:38:
Here's a good article on it from Harvard physician, Dr. John Wright on the subject.
I won't say it's wrong -- but it does sound a little too good to be true. Reminds me of a co-worker whose father was a MD and he swore up and down vitamin C could fix many illnesses. One of the "bonuses" was excess vitamin C is simply excreted by the body -- it's nearly impossible to have issues due to taking too much.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2012, 12:38 Cutter

Potassium iodide works wonders for combating colds, sore throats and many other things. A lot of us are SSKI deficient and don't even know it. Here's a good article on it from Harvard physician, Dr. John Wright on the subject.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2012, 11:47 j.c.f.

Recently we had the stomach bug that's been going around (at least on the left coast) and after our 1 YO daughter had it we took her to the pediatrician who told us that family units can reinfect themselves with this thing. Which was news to me, I thought once you had a bug that was it, you were immune to it. Otherwise, how did you get well in the first place? Maybe the thing mutates rapidly enough that it doesn't matter.  
-jonathan (j.c.f.)

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2012, 10:55 Verno

FX Pushes Back -Louie- To May 2014.

That sucks, great show but I guess he's got a lot of other stuff on the go so its understandable.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2012, 10:51 MajorD

That's a bummer. I hope you both feel better sooner than later.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo