Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Dishonored

The Bethesda Blog celebrates the release of Dishonored, the new stealth/action game from Arkane Studios. They offer links to reviews and Yogscast videos, as well as some Protips for Dishonored, which come from actual pros in this case. If you still need help after reading those, they also note the Dishonored with the Official Strategy Guide from Brady Games is now available. Here's the description of the game:

You are the once-trusted bodyguard of the Empress. Framed for her murder and driven by revenge, you must become an infamous assassin, known only by the disturbing mask that has become your calling card.

As you navigate a world torn apart by plague and oppressed by a government armed with strange new technologies, the truth behind your betrayal is as murky as the waters surrounding the city.

The choices you make will determine the fate of the world, but no matter what happens your old life is gone forever.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 12, 2012, 20:09 Quinn

I try to like this game because many somehow do. But why is it just ugly even on highest settings? Truly, people don't see a Singularity similarity but compare 2 screenshots and the *tadaaaa!* effect that follows is remarkable. Gameplay wise.. same thing.

Actually it has that same cheap look and feel that the games Singularity and the neqest Wolfenstein had. Am I truly the only one who keeps getting reminded to that while playing? It's not like it's some hidden agenda of mine that I somehow WANT to make these connections. I wish I couldn't and didn't.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 11, 2012, 20:36 nin

Ray Marden wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 19:27:
Just a reminder, this game is fantastic.

Also, GMG put out a new 25% code (or just extended the old one?) that is good through 12/10/12: GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN.

And take that into account when looking at the prices - Dishonored at 60 funny money becomes 45 funny money.
I put 2.5 hours into it yesterday and haven't done the first mission.
Noting the one exclusion is Xcom,
Ray

They're in the UK, so I believe that code ends tomorrow (10/12). But I'd be very surprised if we don't get another code for 20 or 25% off immediately after...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 11, 2012, 19:27 Ray Marden

Just a reminder, this game is fantastic.

Also, GMG put out a new 25% code (or just extended the old one?) that is good through 12/10/12: GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN.

And take that into account when looking at the prices - Dishonored at 60 funny money becomes 45 funny money.
I put 2.5 hours into it yesterday and haven't done the first mission.
Noting the one exclusion is Xcom,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 11, 2012, 16:14 theyarecomingforyou

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 16:10:
Maybe the regular price is lower in the UK then? It is $59.99 here.
Yeah, it seems that's the case. The EU price is 50 / $64, so it does seem to vary by region. Very few games in the UK are ever priced above 30 (Skyrim (35 / $56) and COD (40 / $64) being the main ones).

People here are very intolerant of higher prices, which seems to be a definite factor.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 11, 2012, 16:11 theyarecomingforyou

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 15:47:
Looks like the actual screenshot doesn't have as much color and the shadows look a lot sharper in the marketing image. Not a tremendous difference but there is a difference regardless.
Personally I prefer the look of the game to the marketing pictures, as the latter look oversaturated and slightly blurry. The lighting in the game changes, so that may be a factor as well.

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 11, 2012, 16:10 SpectralMeat

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 16:07:
nin wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 11:46:
A lot of us got it from GMG for $45 (with a coupon that's still good until tomorrow), but I still understand if you don't want to take a risk at that price.
In the UK the GMG deal worked out to 22.50 / $36. Even then I considered it a gamble but definitely worth it. The regular price is 30 / $48, so it's kinda surprising to see such a difference in price.

Maybe the regular price is lower in the UK then? It is $59.99 here.

Steam: SpectralMeat

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 11, 2012, 16:07 theyarecomingforyou

nin wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 11:46:
A lot of us got it from GMG for $45 (with a coupon that's still good until tomorrow), but I still understand if you don't want to take a risk at that price.
In the UK the GMG deal worked out to 22.50 / $36. Even then I considered it a gamble but definitely worth it. The regular price is 30 / $48, so it's kinda surprising to see such a difference in price.

40. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 11, 2012, 14:12 Agent.X7

Yeah, graphics are a bit washed out compared to the marketing pics, but the game is very fun.

Also, it helps to go into the GameEngine.ini and turn the shadows up. Look for ini tweaks on Google.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 11, 2012, 11:46 nin

KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 11:35:
I am excited about this game, however $60 for this game without even demo available, sorry but I will not be buying it at release at such price without even being able to see how the game plays myself. Yes I know there are other ways to "demo" it.

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 11, 2012, 11:35 KilrathiAce

I am excited about this game, however $60 for this game without even demo available, sorry but I will not be buying it at release at such price without even being able to see how the game plays myself. Yes I know there are other ways to "demo" it.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 10, 2012, 16:02 Flatline

Verno wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 15:46:
Flatline wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 15:11:
That's my point. I consider this a design flaw. Punishing you for being creative and having *fun* in the game blows from a design standpoint.

You're not really punished though and its all in service to the story, it's one of the few games that ties its design mechanics into the story very well. The stealth system is surprisingly robust, I've knocked over an object and caused NPCs to come investigate. After testing it at varying distances it's not implemented in a sloppy way either. I don't really care for seeing how hidden I am or not although I guess I can see why others would want that. It still seems like cheating to me, I'd prefer to play it in character and use the lean keys. Game is very refreshing and I am playing without save scumming which makes every decision pretty important.

Generally the AI is pretty solid I'll agree. I just wish I had some cues. Maybe give them to me in Dark Vision mode. I could totally live with that. It's supposed to be magic after all. I mean, they give you the vision cones of the NPCs in that mode. A darkness cue might be nice.

Oh and I never spam saves in a game like this. Hell I don't even spam saves in xcom. Half the fun is living with the decisions you've made. Usually the only time I save is when I'm stopping (or periodically if a game is prone to crash), or just before a *major* branching decision point. I agree it makes the game way more fun.

Oh, and as I mentioned in a previous thread, Gabe & Tycho over at Penny Arcade torpedo'd the game, proving once again that I seem to have inverse opposite taste in video games from those guys most of the time.

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 10, 2012, 15:56 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 15:47:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 15:32:
MajorD wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 10:57:
Interesting...the current/game pics look more fuzzy and don't seem to have as much vibrance as the marketing pics do.
If you look at the screenshot I took here and the marketing image here (a surprisingly good comparison) then I'd argue the graphics are as good, if not better than the marketing material. My criticism is that it should be even better, as it looks a bit washed out in comparison to Borderlands 2 (another game with an alternative art style) - it's still very good but it should be better. To me the low-polygon models are much more of an issue and tessellation would certainly have helped.

Looks like the actual screenshot doesn't have as much color and the shadows look a lot sharper in the marketing image. Not a tremendous difference but there is a difference regardless.

I've heard folks claim a difference in colors (and looking more washed out) between MXAA and FXAA, but I've not tried it myself.

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 10, 2012, 15:47 SpectralMeat

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 15:32:
Interesting...the current/game pics look more fuzzy and don't seem to have as much vibrance as the marketing pics do.
If you look at the screenshot I took here and the marketing image here (a surprisingly good comparison) then I'd argue the graphics are as good, if not better than the marketing material. My criticism is that it should be even better, as it looks a bit washed out in comparison to Borderlands 2 (another game with an alternative art style) - it's still very good but it should be better. To me the low-polygon models are much more of an issue and tessellation would certainly have helped.

Steam: SpectralMeat

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 10, 2012, 15:46 Verno

Flatline wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 15:11:
That's my point. I consider this a design flaw. Punishing you for being creative and having *fun* in the game blows from a design standpoint.

You're not really punished though and its all in service to the story, it's one of the few games that ties its design mechanics into the story very well. The stealth system is surprisingly robust, I've knocked over an object and caused NPCs to come investigate. After testing it at varying distances it's not implemented in a sloppy way either. I don't really care for seeing how hidden I am or not although I guess I can see why others would want that. It still seems like cheating to me, I'd prefer to play it in character and use the lean keys. Game is very refreshing and I am playing without save scumming which makes every decision pretty important.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 10, 2012, 15:32 theyarecomingforyou

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 10, 2012, 15:11 Flatline

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 05:20:
Lethal is way too much fun to worry about getting a "darker" ending, IMO. Running around neck-stabbing dudes or sniping them with the crossbow and having them go *POOF* beats out choking them and hiding bodies by a mile. And that's just stealthy lethal; I plan to do an all-out loud playthrough after this and actually get some use out of that really cool pistol.

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 10, 2012, 15:09 Flatline

Ray Marden wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 12:58:
It is basically Thief, but with swords and magic.

I wouldn't put it up against Thief. The stealth, while pretty solid, is nothing nearly as good as Thief's stealth system. A simple cue as to how visible you actually are would be immensely useful. I've hidden in the deepest, darkest shadows and been seen from across a courtyard by the AI. Other times, I have been relatively close and been ignored in shadows I could swear weren't that dark. I've fallen to the "stay out of line of sight" stealth gameplay, which while good, isn't nearly as good as Thief.

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 10, 2012, 13:02 nin

Pretty high praise from you, Ray! Not something you casually throw out.

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 10, 2012, 12:58 Ray Marden

This really is a phenomenal game. I had other plans last night and loaded it to just give it a spin...and then realized ninety minutes had left.

It is basically Thief, but with swords and magic. There is a very deep, slow stealth game or you can burn through it by shooting at or cutting up everybody. There is an achievement for getting through the entire game without killing anybody and there are also repercussions for killing everybody. The story is mildly intriguing, but the powers and the "other" add some otherworldly elements to it - nothing like walking around with a talking heart in your hand and then swapping to your sword and teleportation ability.

Meanwhile, what a world to play in! The characters, the different routes you can take, the focus on secrets or hidden items, hunting for loot, heavy use of vertical routes, and the overall geometry. On one hand, it is obviously a different, strange world, but it is also a world that you can completely believe you are a part of. It really shows that art design trumps technical specifications, not that it is not a good looking game on that basis as well.

You're here. The objective is there. Kill or sneak. You figure it out.

Last, though certainly different, this game really, really made me think of Thief. Given the troubled development of the new, Eidos-"fixed" game, I did think to myself that this may be the closest I will ever get to having a sequel to Thief and Thief 2. More than discussing any specific detail, that is the best praise I can give it.
I will sink hours upon hours into the stealth game.
Wondering if I mentioned that I love this game,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 10, 2012, 12:58 born2expire

My game looks NOTHING like marketing images/videos, and im playing on highest settings with FXAA enabled. Its a blurry washed out mess of low res textures.

that aside the game is fantastic, but it seems like I got the old bait and switch on the graphics.

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo