Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown

2K Games announces that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is now available in North America via retail and Steam, and Firaxis' action/strategy will be available internationally on October 12th. Some screenshots and a launch trailer support the release, and a playable demo of the Windows edition was released a couple of weeks ago on Steam (an Xbox 360 demo is likewise available, while a PS3 demo is still in the works). Here's word:

2K Games and Firaxis Games announced today that XCOM®: Enemy Unknown is now available in North America and will be available internationally on October 12, 2012 for Windows PC, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The game already has critics raving, with Game Informer stating that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is “a singular achievement that every gamer deserves to experience” and rating the game 9.5 out of 10, earning “Game of the Month” honors in the November 2012 issue.

“XCOM: Enemy Unknown revives the XCOM franchise, staying true to what fans loved in the original game while evolving and growing the experience to appeal to all gamers,” said Sarah Anderson, senior vice president of marketing for 2K. “Combining intense action and strategy, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is an experience unlike any other on the market, and one that no gamer will want to miss.”

Gamers who pre-ordered XCOM: Enemy Unknown and those who purchase the game for a limited time at launch will receive the launch bonus which includes the Elite Soldier Pack. The Elite Soldier Pack will provide the ultimate tools for soldier customization in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, including:

• Classic X-COM soldier: Players will instantly receive a new recruit in their barracks inspired by the original X-COM: UFO Defense. The iconic soldier with the blonde, flattop hairstyle will return fully modernized.
  • Soldier Deco packs: Players can customize their soldier with several aesthetic upgrades to armor suits, including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits.
  • Complete color customization: A variety of colors and tints for all armor sets in the game allow players complete control to customize their squad’s look.

A special edition of XCOM: Enemy Unknown for Windows PC (MSRP $59.99) will be available at participating retail locations. This special edition will contain a copy of the game for Windows PC and a number of unique XCOM items, including an art book; fold-out poster of the XCOM headquarters; XCOM insignia patch; and a collection of digital bonus assets such as desktop wallpaper, soundtrack and more. A digital version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown can be purchased from participating digital retailers for MSRP $49.99.

View
155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

135. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 07:53 DarkCntry

Ok, just 'lost' an Impossible Ironman for the fact that I lost too many nation members...despite the fact that no matter what I did, there was nothing I could do to keep them.

I'm finding this very, VERY difficult to see possible completing with that fail point.

I sold almost 90% of my Gray Market goods, fast-tracked getting Satellite Nexus, and I couldn't even get it completed due to the lack of engineers at every turn.

What is really sad, I was just about to assault the alien base, been through 30 missions, 92 days in, and only lost one squad member...talk about heartbreaking. Hell, I even got the Wet Work achievement...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

134. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 07:20 Bhruic

InBlack wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 06:26:
It sort of does though, there is quite a lot of handholding you just have to listen to your second in command, your head scientist sexy german accent chick and your uncle engineer and not skip cutscenes. Im saying bullshit to all that though. Sure my priority is getting more birds up in the air, after that Im going to focus my production on interceptors and better equipment for my crew. Fuck you sexy german scientist chick, Im taking care of business here...

They don't give you any indication of what your priorities should be. They do a decent job of describing things you can do. But considering how easy it is to start losing countries, they need to do a better job of stressing how important it is not to - and then telling people the best way to avoid that. Unfortunately, they don't.

133. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 06:26 InBlack

Bhruic wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 05:42:
Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 01:01:
I just really fail to see the point of satellites. No, let me rephrase that, I can see their use, it's just that you can't get them in the fucking air!

It really seems like the game is designed with an optimum build path, and if you deviate from that at all, you're fucked. And yet they give you no help whatsoever in determining what that path would be.

"Oh, you wanted to keep your guys alive so you spent your money on armor? Sorry, all the countries now hate your guts."

"Oh, you wanted to buy enough interceptors to be able to shoot down incoming UFOs? Sorry, all the countries now hate your guts."

If they are going to give you so little money, and then make specific things so critical, they could at least give you some pointers so that you understand what's critical. Otherwise by month 2, half the countries are in the red, and you've got no chance of pacifying any of them.

It sort of does though, there is quite a lot of handholding you just have to listen to your second in command, your head scientist sexy german accent chick and your uncle engineer and not skip cutscenes. Im saying bullshit to all that though. Sure my priority is getting more birds up in the air, after that Im going to focus my production on interceptors and better equipment for my crew. Fuck you sexy german scientist chick, Im taking care of business here...

I have a nifty blue line!

132. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 05:42 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 01:01:
I just really fail to see the point of satellites. No, let me rephrase that, I can see their use, it's just that you can't get them in the fucking air!

It really seems like the game is designed with an optimum build path, and if you deviate from that at all, you're fucked. And yet they give you no help whatsoever in determining what that path would be.

"Oh, you wanted to keep your guys alive so you spent your money on armor? Sorry, all the countries now hate your guts."

"Oh, you wanted to buy enough interceptors to be able to shoot down incoming UFOs? Sorry, all the countries now hate your guts."

If they are going to give you so little money, and then make specific things so critical, they could at least give you some pointers so that you understand what's critical. Otherwise by month 2, half the countries are in the red, and you've got no chance of pacifying any of them.

131. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 04:24 InBlack

The game is awesome. I thought I was going to miss the omissions from the original but I dont at all since the XCOM 'feel' is there 100%. By feel I mean the most important part of XCOM, the fight against time and the sheer terror and loss when you lose troops in the field.

Im on my first restart (Heh) fubared a satelite launch because I thought the countries with yellow bars were happier than those with blue.... serves me right for skipping the tutorial.

Playing on normal ironman and digging every minute of it, and some might hate it but I like the randomization factor of the game a lot. My restart experience has been much different. Its a shame that the level design is not more 'solid' & the cover mechanics leave a lot to be desired. This is basically the only nitpick I have with the game and Im hoping firaxis will patch this shit out.

Fuck I hate work atm, cant wait to go home and play some more.

I have a nifty blue line!

130. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 03:01 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ok, 4th or 5th month in, Classic, no Ironman, almost complete satellite coverage, just gathering money and materials to complete the research tree. What sort of military organization sends out a shuttle with 6 Colonels in it? X-Com. My X-Com, anyway.

I have stopped playing for today to rest my fried eyeballs, and also to say: Satellites = National Pacifier. 2-3 Point panic reduction, instantly, when a satellite is assigned to a nation. Even though it takes 4 days to actually deploy. I am perpetually broke but all my countries are in the green with maybe one exception in the yellow. Next month I should be pretty flush with cash.

Also, I shed a nostalgic tear after I built some of the robotic SHIV tanks... they are so bad, it's like the original X-Com. Humans heal faster, shoot better, move farther, can use cover... ugh. The tanks also take up a slot that should be filled with a Colonel. They suck enough that they should have been a free slot in the shuttle(I have yet to learn how to build a new shuttle, if it's possible).

More than a few display bugs too, like if you are reloading/starting a shot, and the Engineer or Scientist NPC starts a little monologue, the GUI can get hung up. Only one CTD so far though, attempting to load a ground mission save.

PS. Get snipers. MANY snipers. Best late game class. Free 100% hit, bonus critical shots on anybody moving/out of perfect cover, while the sniper gets bonus cover? Hehe.

What the hell, apparently I've put in 18 hours on X-Com since Tuesday afternoon.

129. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 01:07 Creston

DarkCntry wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 00:07:
Letting them go counts against your approval rating, can raise panic, and they also have a higher chance of shooting down your non-stealth satellites.

Ah, that does make sense. But like everything else in this game, Interceptors are too fucking expensive, and I can't afford to buy them. But if you let the UFO land and then gank it with your squad, does the panic rating still go up? I'd have to check.

It really gets on my ass that you're the last hope of mankind, the one organization that EVERYONE counts on to save them from the aliens, and they give you four soldiers, four assault rifles and one fucking F-15 that they found in a goddamned museum somewhere. And everything else you want "Oh, pay us for it!"

FUCK OFF!

I guess the optimum way to play is to focus on like six countries, and let the rest just fend for yourself? Because it sure seems impossible to try to save everyone?

Chryssalids, and most of the mech-based units, cannot be stunned for some reason. Cyberdisc repair drones, however, can be stunned with the upgrades to the Arc.

Grrrr...

My understanding is that it's supposed to be an "oh shit" type thing or a boost similar to the Sectoids' mindlink.

I don't think I ever even used them during my first playthrough.

Yeah, they seem utterly pointless. Let's see, I can bring an item that gives me 2 extra health, OR I can bring an item that lets me heal 4 health and cures poison. Hmmm, TOUGH CHOICE.

Thanks for the answers!

Creston

128. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 01:01 Creston

Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 00:03:
I haven't let a UFO land yet. Maybe I should? Does than effect the condition of the items found inside? Bet it would.

The UFO stuff itself won't be damaged, and you get more aliens to fight (and thus loot).

As far as the Uplink. That is what killed me my first play through. And it took forever to get this play through. I have a day to go before it is ready and I have two satellites built and waiting to go up. All I can say is you have to play ahead. Be two steps ahead so when that mission with Engineers/Scientists comes up you know to take it over the cash. The extra techs made a huge difference for me.

First, get 12 engineers to build a satellite uplink facility. That takes the good part of a month. Then build the facility, but first you have to excavate and then build an additional power source. Then you can build the facility. And THEN it takes 20 days to build a satellite.

I'm two days away from getting 2 satellites, and I have six nations in red panic. So... the point of it is...?

Creston

127. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 00:15 Paranoid Jack

DarkCntry wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 00:07:
Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 23:38:
Btw, is there really a point to shooting down UFOs versus just letting them land? You face more crew obviously, if you let them land, but that just means more loot?

Letting them go counts against your approval rating, can raise panic, and they also have a higher chance of shooting down your non-stealth satellites.

Just ganked my first Cryssalids, God, I forgot the sheer TERROR you feel when you see the fucking things charging towards your squad...
Btw, can you nut stun them? I tried stunning them twice with my fodder Stun Man rookie, and both times it wouldn't do anything. I was adjacent to them (THE TERROR!!!) and everything, I'd even shot them down to 3 health. Buh?
Chryssalids, and most of the mech-based units, cannot be stunned for some reason. Cyberdisc repair drones, however, can be stunned with the upgrades to the Arc.

Finally, why for fuck's sake is a nano-shirt a fucking carryable item, rather than something you put underneath your armor? So I gotta choose between medkits or armor? Buh^2?

My understanding is that it's supposed to be an "oh shit" type thing or a boost similar to the Sectoids' mindlink.

You can't stun them at all. Damn, I was looking forward to stunning them to capture or kill. Also if I am not mistaken you can't lock on a rocket either... though that may be just the the wonky targeting of the rockets.

Do you know if I can put off the Researching of the Outsider Shard? I know it will trigger the story's progression but I don't think I am ready for that. `

126. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 00:07 DarkCntry

Btw, is there really a point to shooting down UFOs versus just letting them land? You face more crew obviously, if you let them land, but that just means more loot?

Just ganked my first Cryssalids, God, I forgot the sheer TERROR you feel when you see the fucking things charging towards your squad...
Btw, can you nut stun them? I tried stunning them twice with my fodder Stun Man rookie, and both times it wouldn't do anything. I was adjacent to them (THE TERROR!!!) and everything, I'd even shot them down to 3 health. Buh?

Finally, why for fuck's sake is a nano-shirt a fucking carryable item, rather than something you put underneath your armor? So I gotta choose between medkits or armor? Buh^2?

125. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 00:03 Paranoid Jack

If you're getting murdered, just lower the difficulty. Starting on Classic is just insane, imo, and it really becomes very depressing in a hurry. On Normal it's a lot more do-able.

Brought a rookie along to act as fodder Stun Man, and not only did he stun a Thin Man, he then proceeded to lay fucking WASTE to FOUR Sectoids! He'd been hit twice, had 1 hp left, and he just went fucking Rambo! It was fantastic. Needless to say, he's been renamed Sly Stallone.

I could really use a build and research guide to know what to start with, though. It's a bit overwhelming, and I STILL CAN'T LAUNCH ANY FUCKING SATELLITES.

Creston

Creston

Made me laugh with a swig of beer in my mouth not a good thing when you're sitting in front of your PC monitor.

Laughed because I know how you feel. I too sent a squad of six in to a Panic Mission. Four were fodder and two had Arc Throwers. I too was baffled that I could not stun a Chryssalid though I am guessing the second Arc Thrower is the trick to that. Though I have yet to cross that bridge. Hell, I was just happy there were only two Chryssalids on the map and I was able to run away and have them chase me away from the civilians. I only lost a few civilians it was amazing.

I haven't let a UFO land yet. Maybe I should? Does than effect the condition of the items found inside? Bet it would.

As far as the Uplink. That is what killed me my first play through. And it took forever to get this play through. I have a day to go before it is ready and I have two satellites built and waiting to go up. All I can say is you have to play ahead. Be two steps ahead so when that mission with Engineers/Scientists comes up you know to take it over the cash. The extra techs made a huge difference for me.

124. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 10, 2012, 23:48 RollinThundr

If you're getting murdered, just lower the difficulty. Starting on Classic is just insane, imo, and it really becomes very depressing in a hurry. On Normal it's a lot more do-able.

Brought a rookie along to act as fodder Stun Man, and not only did he stun a Thin Man, he then proceeded to lay fucking WASTE to FOUR Sectoids! He'd been hit twice, had 1 hp left, and he just went fucking Rambo! It was fantastic. Needless to say, he's been renamed Sly Stallone.

I could really use a build and research guide to know what to start with, though. It's a bit overwhelming, and I STILL CAN'T LAUNCH ANY FUCKING SATELLITES.

Creston

Creston

Doing much better this time through, tho I just wiped on a UFO landing mission. That'll be a reload for sure there, noway in hell am I going to allow nearly a full squad of ranked guys with a couple skills each bite it in one mission simply because my soldiers can't hit the broad side of a ufo while the aliens can kill you shooting through solid walls.

That's my one complaint about the game so far, the LOS is seriously screwy in alot of situations.

123. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 10, 2012, 23:42 nin

He'd been hit twice, had 1 hp left, and he just went fucking Rambo! It was fantastic. Needless to say, he's been renamed Sly Stallone.

I remember having a similar turn in silent storm, years ago. Most of the team was down, and I thought about just restarting. But one of my last guys with only a pistol rounded a corner and popped two enemies in the head, killing both in one turn.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

122. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 10, 2012, 23:38 Creston

Creston

Creston

121. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 10, 2012, 21:20 RollinThundr

While I love this remake immensely, I'm terrible at it. I restarted, got a containment and arc zappers right away, tried to play very carefully, and did well for the first few missions. Then of course I start missing every shot even on 60%+ shots, yet the aliens from the same distance start getting 1 shot crits on my guys.

Once again I'm broke and this time rather than not have the right facility buildings, I have no troops. Here's hoping restart 3 brings better luck.

Might just play through Dishonored and come back to Xcom when I don't have so many other games on my to play list.

120. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 10, 2012, 18:54 Paranoid Jack

On my second game after making a few huge base development blunders and loving this game more every mission. I haven't had this much fun with a turn based tactical game in years. That JA remake was fun but not as griping as this, not by a long shot.

I am at my first panic mission again and this one I actually have a chance of survival. The last game I was out numbered and swarmed by Chrysalids with conventional weapons and armor.

This time the mission came even earlier than last game but it auto skipped the tutorial part. I have bought Squad Size I & II, Wet Work, and Rapid Recovery. I'm waiting on the damned Satellite Uplink to finish so I can save South America. I notice two countries hit Panic Level Orange much quicker in this game. Then after my third UFO Crash Site mission it triggered the Panic Level of three nations to RED.

With a squad of six you can bring along some fodder... I mean new recruits to run ahead and collect civilians. This game is so good I am already hoping they have an add-on or larger DLC in the works. So very happy I got it for the PC too. The community should be able to tweak the gameplay.

Besides the wonky camera not being free to rotate my only complaint now is the aliens shooting through terrain. I have had one trooper pull it off but the aliens have us at about twenty to one when it comes to landing those impossible shots.

119. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 10, 2012, 17:54 Creston

I started an impossible game for fun. 6 sectoids, from the looks of it, and they all immediately buff each other to 5 health, but that's really not the big deal.

The big deal is, of course, that the percentages are fucked even more than they already normally are. I took 3 shots at 65% chance to hit and missed every single one, and the aliens killed my guys while shooting THROUGH A TRAIN. (like literally through it. He was on one side on the platform, my guy was on the other side hunkering behind half-cover on the rails, and he just shot straight THROUGH the 2 train walls to kill him.)

2 of my other guys panicked at that point and miraculously DIDN'T kill each other, instead firing wildly at the enemy and missing (again). I managed to get two grenades thrown and do a total of 6 damage (not killing anything) before some more crazy shots took out my entire squad.

Creston

118. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 10, 2012, 16:21 Tanto Edge

I played shit loads of the original in the days leading up to this, and after playing from about noon yesterday til four am today, I can honestly say I like it.

Playing on classic, the original tactics still apply, mind you sans TUs.
I rarely lose soldiers due to how slow I move through the battlefield, and I'm always using Overwatch.
Six man teams of two support, two heavies, and two assaulters in my crew.
I don't bother with the snipers. Too restricting when I'm learning the game. I'm constantly dismissing them and recruiting new guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

117. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 10, 2012, 16:02 Creston

RailWizard wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 13:56:
The difficulty differences just seems whacked.

Classic is just nuts. I can't even imagine what the one beyond that is like...

One of the RPS guys said he started one for fun. He had to reload the first mission four times, and then he just laughed out loud when he saw what he had to deal with in mission 2.

Apparently impossible is genuinely that: Impossible.

Creston

116. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 10, 2012, 15:49 MoreLuckThanSkill

Prez wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 14:40:
IMO they need to dial down Classic just a bit, because as it is now calling it 'classic' is retarded. The old game wasn't near that hard.

Basically yeah. In truth your soldiers dropped like flies in the original too; the difference being you could field a squad of 14 so the mission wasn't FUBAR if 4 squaddies eat a plasma bolt. In XCOM, it's a fail. On Classic mode I finished several missions with only one remaining soldier, having lost 3 highly trained soldiers in the process. 2 or 3 missions like that will easily put you into a death spiral as enemies get tougher and your fielding nothing but rookies. I lost my first 3 classic difficulty games like that - no fun. It feels as though there ought to be a difficulty level in between Normal and Classic.

Are most of you guys playing Ironman in addition to Classic? That seems like a masochistic path, for early playthroughs.

Classic, no Ironman though, 2nd month into the game, 1 enemy base down, many(20?) missions completed, only 3 soldiers lost in the tutorial mission. Of course, MANY reloads until I started getting the hang of the game a little.(Purists might never reload of course)

Suggestions/Tips:

1) Don't use grenades/High damage Rockets. They blow up enemy materials that you need. Even corpses end up getting used for some items as materials

2) Early on use most of your money expanding your base instead of building anything aside from 2 medpacks and 1-2 Arc weapons(Stun guns). I messed up and built Nano shirts, extra medpacks, etc. Especially early on, these are FAR too expensive (with low numbers of engineers)

3) Build a Containment Room immediately.

4) When you have a choice of missions, pick ones that reward Scientists, then Engineers, then Cash. More Scientists = faster research, More Engineers = CHEAPER and faster construction.

5) Assault is basically the best class until you get high level sniper(s). Run and Gun > early xenos.

6) In Classic you DO get to hear enemies, but usually only your more veteran troops. I haven't tried normal yet, it might be all the time there in comparison. I "hear" enemy units maybe once or twice a mission.

7) Heavy troops get 2 shots with the Spray of Bullets or whatever it's called, 2nd tier ability. Pretty strong, but their accurracy is usually horrible until you get S.C.O.P.E.S.

8) Crysalids(sp) have no ranged attack, just keep backing up the first encounter guy and shooting with the rest of your team. I find myself keeping my soldiers pretty close together vs everybody but Mind Control enemies.

9) Build an Officer Training Room shortly after Containment Room, you can get up to 6 soldiers at once that way. Makes Classic vastly easier, imo.

10) Finally, although it might seem obvious, sell junk on the Gray Market. It makes it actually feasible to simultaneously upgrade/expand your base/satellites while upgrading your troops. You'd think the governments of the world would be a little more concerned with saving humanity, and fork over some cash...

I'm starting to wonder how the game can normally end at around 30 missions though(according to various reviews etc.), It seems research capped as far as the main progress points in the game, with random terror/abduction missions spawning up in the meantime. Most of my soldiers are at around 20 missions already, and that's with most of them missing a week+ here or there for injury.

155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo