2K Games announces that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is now available in North America via retail and Steam, and Firaxis' action/strategy will be available internationally on October 12th. Some screenshots and a launch trailer support the release, and a playable demo of the Windows edition was released a couple of weeks ago on Steam (an Xbox 360 demo is likewise available, while a PS3 demo is still in the works). Here's word:
2K Games and Firaxis Games announced today that XCOM®: Enemy Unknown is now available in North America and will be available internationally on October 12, 2012 for Windows PC, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The game already has critics raving, with Game Informer stating that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is “a singular achievement that every gamer deserves to experience” and rating the game 9.5 out of 10, earning “Game of the Month” honors in the November 2012 issue.
“XCOM: Enemy Unknown revives the XCOM franchise, staying true to what fans loved in the original game while evolving and growing the experience to appeal to all gamers,” said Sarah Anderson, senior vice president of marketing for 2K. “Combining intense action and strategy, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is an experience unlike any other on the market, and one that no gamer will want to miss.”
Gamers who pre-ordered XCOM: Enemy Unknown and those who purchase the game for a limited time at launch will receive the launch bonus which includes the Elite Soldier Pack. The Elite Soldier Pack will provide the ultimate tools for soldier customization in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, including:
Classic X-COM soldier: Players will instantly receive a new recruit in their barracks inspired by the original X-COM: UFO Defense. The iconic soldier with the blonde, flattop hairstyle will return fully modernized.
Soldier Deco packs: Players can customize their soldier with several aesthetic upgrades to armor suits, including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits.
Complete color customization: A variety of colors and tints for all armor sets in the game allow players complete control to customize their squad’s look.
A special edition of XCOM: Enemy Unknown for Windows PC (MSRP $59.99) will be available at participating retail locations. This special edition will contain a copy of the game for Windows PC and a number of unique XCOM items, including an art book; fold-out poster of the XCOM headquarters; XCOM insignia patch; and a collection of digital bonus assets such as desktop wallpaper, soundtrack and more. A digital version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown can be purchased from participating digital retailers for MSRP $49.99.
1) Don't lose country sponsors: Watch the alien threat levels and do missions in the highest threat area regardless of the rewards offered. I lost Australia my *FIRST* month. Get satellites up ASAP.
2) Move less than 1/3 of your troops (unless you are in a hurry), keep the rest in cover and in overwatch/firing.
3) Keep your (2+) medics in the rear.
4) Keep support in the middle.
5) Keep your hand grenades forward. Does not miss so use on one target if it will kill it outright (3 damage). Use to detonate cars, etc.
6) Keep your Rocket Launcher in the middle. Use to detonate cars, etc. Rocket a building if it will get you 2+ kills.
7) Use 1-2 Rookies per mission as a Pointman with armor or grenades (depending on the mission)
8) Pointman: -->Rookie -->Heaviest Armor you have. -->Until he makes enemy contact: Move, go into cover, Hunker Down, repeat. -->If enemy is not in overwatch, fall back towards the XCOM squad to draw them into your ambush. Support can throw smoke to help.
Albrecht: Great. A guy shows up looking like a mime from Hell and you lose him right out in the open. Well, at least he didn't do that walking against the wind shit, I hate that.