Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown

2K Games announces that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is now available in North America via retail and Steam, and Firaxis' action/strategy will be available internationally on October 12th. Some screenshots and a launch trailer support the release, and a playable demo of the Windows edition was released a couple of weeks ago on Steam (an Xbox 360 demo is likewise available, while a PS3 demo is still in the works). Here's word:

2K Games and Firaxis Games announced today that XCOM®: Enemy Unknown is now available in North America and will be available internationally on October 12, 2012 for Windows PC, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The game already has critics raving, with Game Informer stating that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is “a singular achievement that every gamer deserves to experience” and rating the game 9.5 out of 10, earning “Game of the Month” honors in the November 2012 issue.

“XCOM: Enemy Unknown revives the XCOM franchise, staying true to what fans loved in the original game while evolving and growing the experience to appeal to all gamers,” said Sarah Anderson, senior vice president of marketing for 2K. “Combining intense action and strategy, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is an experience unlike any other on the market, and one that no gamer will want to miss.”

Gamers who pre-ordered XCOM: Enemy Unknown and those who purchase the game for a limited time at launch will receive the launch bonus which includes the Elite Soldier Pack. The Elite Soldier Pack will provide the ultimate tools for soldier customization in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, including:

• Classic X-COM soldier: Players will instantly receive a new recruit in their barracks inspired by the original X-COM: UFO Defense. The iconic soldier with the blonde, flattop hairstyle will return fully modernized.
  • Soldier Deco packs: Players can customize their soldier with several aesthetic upgrades to armor suits, including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits.
  • Complete color customization: A variety of colors and tints for all armor sets in the game allow players complete control to customize their squad’s look.

A special edition of XCOM: Enemy Unknown for Windows PC (MSRP $59.99) will be available at participating retail locations. This special edition will contain a copy of the game for Windows PC and a number of unique XCOM items, including an art book; fold-out poster of the XCOM headquarters; XCOM insignia patch; and a collection of digital bonus assets such as desktop wallpaper, soundtrack and more. A digital version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown can be purchased from participating digital retailers for MSRP $49.99.

View
155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

75. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 22:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

I've put a couple hours into this now, 4-5 missions in on Classic mode. I'm enjoying it so far, but I am a bit pissed about the 'inventory' system. My soldiers can wear a shirt, or carry a medpack, or a grenade... Would it really have been so complex to allow them to do all three? So far it seems every person should be carrying a medpack, since they convey poison immunity as well as allowing heals. You can get by without Grenades with Rocket Launchers and an Assault guy sprinting up and shooting xenos point blank in the face, at least I have so far.

I know I got through a lot of missions that would have been tough in the original X-Com and Terror From the Deep stocking my crappier soldiers up with grenades and explosives, it would have been nice to have the option to really customize layouts.

End result, I am way more cautious in this game, since I can't AoE half of the map on the first turn. I hope I get to have more soldiers soon, 4 is starting to feel like not enough.

But most importantly, has anybody noticed how weirdly paced the dialogue is? Every character seems to have a Kirk-esque pause when they deliver their lines.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

74. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 22:07 nin

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 21:14:
Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 15:34:
BobBob wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 15:23:
Is this turn based? If so, better off just playing chess at the coffee shop.

Is it real time? If so just better playing Electric Football!

Is that BobBob? If so, better off just putting him on ignore.

Creston

bla bla!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

73. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 22:06 Paranoid Jack

RailWizard wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 20:54:
This AI is even more bullshit than the old one.

I did notice aliens do move behind the scenes though.

Movement is part of the BS tho, it's like they get 3 moves and they are all crack shots with guns that pretty much kill you if you get hit. My guys don't 'run for cover' when they get spotted....and of course, they shoot like they are all drunk especially the sniper.

That shit made me bust up because I know exactly what you mean. I've had guys behind full cover get shot through terrain while the aliens have no line of site. Yet my sniper has to be up close just to see any targets... unless they have Squadsight. I wish we were able to go into a close third person view or even a first person view to see what the trooper sees.

72. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 21:22 RailWizard

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 21:13:

Movement is part of the BS tho, it's like they get 3 moves and they are all crack shots with guns that pretty much kill you if you get hit. My guys don't 'run for cover' when they get spotted....and of course, they shoot like they are all drunk especially the sniper.

Ahhh...your guys are suppose to already be in cover, unless you want them to die. As for them hitting and you not, my only advice is dont goto vegas.

heh they shoot me whether I'm behind cover or not.

71. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 21:14 Creston

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 15:34:

Is it real time? If so just better playing Electric Football!

Is that BobBob? If so, better off just putting him on ignore.

Creston

70. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 21:14 nin

In the original you didn't have a frickin' prayer against them until you had laser weapons.

Rocket Launcher -> Gas Station. Problem solved.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

69. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 21:13 dj LiTh

Ahhh...your guys are suppose to already be in cover, unless you want them to die. As for them hitting and you not, my only advice is dont goto vegas.

68. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 21:00 Prez

Flatline wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 20:22:
Fuck Terror missions. That is all. Those goddamn chrysalids are impossible.

Chrysallids were a huge bitch in the original too. One left alone could decimate your squad: Hide, sneak up, zombify squaddie dude, then poof! Now there's two. And so on, and so on... But cyberdiscs were even worse. In the original you didn't have a frickin' prayer against them until you had laser weapons. In an old game I still remember fondly I once hit with 5 guys using autofire (with the starter weapons) and every single shot connected and the thing didn't die. Killed 4 of the 5 in the next 2 turns. Badass.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2012, 21:06.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

67. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 20:54 RailWizard

66. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 20:22 Flatline

Fuck Terror missions. That is all. Those goddamn chrysalids are impossible.  

65. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 20:21 Flatline

BobBob wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 19:04:
Is this game 2.5 times better than Torchlight 2? Because it costs 2.5 times as much.

Oh dude 1/10 on your trolling effort. EPIC FAIL.

64. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 19:50 briktal

A good early combo for tougher missions, if you have a sniper with the recon ball perk, you can throw it pretty far. Against a lot of enemies, you might discover several groups of aliens near each other, and if they don't see you they are probably not spread out. Get a heavy to send a rocket that way and you get a bunch of kills. You obviously don't want to do this all the time since you get less loot, but it could even things out when there are 10 aliens to your 4 or 5 soldiers.  

63. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 19:34 1badmf

did a quick scan of the thread, didn't see anyone mention my gripe so here goes:

what bugs me must is that you can no longer loot dead bodies and trade inventory items with teammates. the rest of the streamlining i don't mind so much, but being able to loot that grenade or medkit from the sectoid you just shot could make or break your mission. otherwise great game. love the ironman mode. restarting my campaign tonight because i had two wipes in a row.

62. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 19:05 Cutter

Some solid hints and tips I've seen so far...

Lessons learned so far on Classic Ironman:

1) Don't lose country sponsors: Watch the alien threat levels and do missions in the highest threat area regardless of the rewards offered. I lost Australia my *FIRST* month. Get satellites up ASAP.

2) Move less than 1/3 of your troops (unless you are in a hurry), keep the rest in cover and in overwatch/firing.

3) Keep your (2+) medics in the rear.

4) Keep support in the middle.

5) Keep your hand grenades forward. Does not miss so use on one target if it will kill it outright (3 damage). Use to detonate cars, etc.

6) Keep your Rocket Launcher in the middle. Use to detonate cars, etc. Rocket a building if it will get you 2+ kills.

7) Use 1-2 Rookies per mission as a Pointman with armor or grenades (depending on the mission)

8) Pointman:
-->Rookie
-->Heaviest Armor you have.
-->Until he makes enemy contact: Move, go into cover, Hunker Down, repeat.
-->If enemy is not in overwatch, fall back towards the XCOM squad to draw them into your ambush. Support can throw smoke to help.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

61. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 19:04 BobBob

Is this game 2.5 times better than Torchlight 2? Because it costs 2.5 times as much.  

60. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 18:25 Paranoid Jack

Loving the game and so very glad I went Normal without IronMan turned on. Otherwise I would be curled up in bed with the sheets over my head crying. Not for the difficulty level but due to a show-stopper I came across nearing the end of my second downed UFO mission. I had stunned the requested alien and only had two of three Floaters to take out inside the craft. I had my Assault guy Run & Gun up to the nearest Floater when that damned annoying Scientist cut in with a request to bring back an item... undamaged if possible.

When the cut scene finished and the game let me regain control the two Floaters where no-longer visible. As if they were above the level inside the top of the UFO but it was a single level craft. They were able to rain down green laser beams on my team unhindered. I spent an hour trying to replay from an auto saved game file and just gave up.

Which leads me to my second complaint. The auto save feature apparently doesn't give a crap that you have decided to save a file at the beginning of a mission which would afford you a replay if needed... well when you try to reload you will notice the file has been over written by the auto save game file. Not cool.

Still having a blast. Hate to restart since I have grown attached to my squads.

edit: Some good news... I went into the save game folder and found I had 18 saves but for some reason the game was only showing less than half of them. Anyway I rebooted the last save before the bug accured and was able to change the out come by not triggering the cut scene advisory. Plus all five squad members got promoted that mission. Sweet, I won't be starting over after all.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2012, 19:03.

59. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 18:11 RailWizard

Prez wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 17:43:
Well I've been playing the hell out of it and it really is well done. I am doing my best to beat down that voice that pipes up every so often to remind me how different this is than the original and having marginal success. I definitely love the challenge - I have been wiped out on several missions now, and (like the original) it is really hard to recover from a disastrous mission in which you lose all of your best soldiers and your global approval rating bottoms out.

What the game does, it does extremely well. But I have complaints (surprise surprise). I am not so enamored with the fact that there are no base defense missions. Those consistently were some of the most intense, nerve-wracking missions in the first game (and it was also neat to run around inside something you built yourself) and it is a crime that this feature didn't make it in. Also, I remember fondly attacking alien bases as they started popping up all over the world - those were awesomely difficult and terrifying, but their not here either. My biggest concern, the lack of action point movement, is not as jarring a change as I expected and in fact it works really well. I lamented he lack of randomized maps, and I still do; this is mitigated somewhat by a large variety and randomness of starting points, but I still wish they were in here. Squad size, another huge concern of mine, is still a sticking point with me but it is not a deal-breaker. I would have liked to see squad size upped to 6 at the start and expandable to 8 though. Despite these gripes, the game is extremely fun, challenging, and addicting - three critical trademarks of the X-COM brand so that is a relief.

I hope the game sells well enough to warrant a sequel with those crucial features added back in. Firaxis may be on the verge of doing what began to seem impossible - pleasing hardcore X-COM fans with a modern re-imagining.

Yeah it lost a lot of it's complexity and a certain amount of sand-boxy feel too. If what I heard about aliens not moving until you see them is true, and from what I've seen so far it seems to be, that pisses me off because creeping along and always staying in overwatch mode is useless, or not as good anyway.

Limited trade also blows. Why can't I sell off stuff if I made too many of some items? I did get a trade mission where India wanted a couple kevlar vests, but that's not quite the same thing...

Still a bit early yet, but I guess it could've been worse and so far it's not too bad. It's more a trip down (foggy)memory lane rather than a true worthy successor. Maybe my opinion will change once I get further into it...

58. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 18:09 dj LiTh

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 15:53:
HELP

I am going out of my mind. The in-game text says I can "hire" more scientists and engineers. Two personnel resources I am critically short of.

However, so far, the only way I seem to be able to acquire more scientists and engineers is by the end of the month payoff from "The Council" and as mission rewards.

Builds labs, Build Workshops, Build Satellites over countries that continents give you the bonuses you desire, then when all else fails: all hail your new overlord and masters.

57. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 18:03 dj LiTh

Fjkalsjklfje;j MUTANS....squad DEAD....no hope....all hail our new overlords....hahhaha oh man i'm in heaven, good thing my woman truely loves me, otherwise i'd be a lonely lonely creature.  

56. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 17:57 Flatline

I'm a major board game fan, and even I have to say 2/10. Major troll failure boyo. Come up with something better.

155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo